taking relatives' kids alone

justhat

<font color=teal>DC DISer<br><font color=red>pick
We're planning a pre-wedding trip for our bridal party to WDW next May and we're sorta torn on what to do so hopefully you guys will have some suggestions. It's going to be for all of the female attendants, from our 2.5yo flower girl to my 55yo mother, so you can see there will be a pretty big variety of ages going. One member of the group will be my 12yo cousin, but the problem is that she has a 10yo brother who is also in the wedding. Initially, since it will be all girls, we weren't going to bring him, but then I started feeling guilty about taking his sister to WDW and not him, especially since they were just there last month for the 1st time and probably won't go back again until they're adults so he'll know what he's missing. Also, I thought that since the only other kids going are 2.5 and 6, having her brother there might make it more fun for her, since otherwise she'd have to hang out with either the little kids or the adults (23-29yo).
Okay, so if we do bring the 10yo, then we have the issue of bringing his 8yo boy cousin who is also in our wedding. The two boys are very close and do everything together so he's bound to find out and when he does he'd probably be pretty bummed knowing we took everyone but him. He's never been there and probably won't go for a long time, if ever, so it would be great to take him.
The big question is, however, do you think it's crazy to bring 2 young boys to WDW without their parents? Their parents are letting them go and they would not have any hesitations about leaving their parents as they've always been close with me, but do you think it would be too much to handle? In addition to the boys, I'd have the 6 and 12yo girls, since I don't plan on letting any of them go out with any other members of the group unless I'm there since I'll be responsible for them. I wouldn't be entirely alone with the 4 kids, however, since my future SIL is coming with her 2.5yo daughter (both in the wedding) so we'd probably spend a lot of time with them when the rest of the group wants to do non-kid things, so I'd have some help.
If anyone has any suggestions or advice that would be great. I've never gone alone with kids before, only when their parents have come so I'm a little nervous about it, but I work in a day care and watch nine 1 year olds with only one other teacher so taking 4 kids who are 6,8,10,and 12yo doesn't seem too daunting to me, but I do want to be sure they're all safe and yet have a good time. Also, we'll be staying in a 2 bedroom suite at the GF so we'll all be in the same room and will be close to the MK where we'll probably spend most of our time. Sorry this is so long, but any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sticky problem! I've never taken my neice & nephews anywhere except dinner without their parents. I'm not sure I would!

One question, if the 8 yo & 10 yo boys are close, does the 12 yo girl like spending time with them too? If not, that defeats the purpose of bringing her brother along.

Honestly, I think 1 adult being responsible for 4 kids is too much. I know your SIL will help, but having a 2.5 yo by yourself is hard as well. And you don't want to depend on the other adults to help out, right?

I've been to WDW twice this year with a 2 year old. It can easily take 2 adults to handle him & his stuff. Like getting on Disney transportation - one person to hold the kid while the other folds the stroller. I'm sure the boys are well behaved, but if something grabbed their attention & they ran off, who would go get them?

Good luck with your decision! I'm sure it will work out fine no matter what you do. :)

PS 1 year olds can't run off or get out of their strollers like 2 1/2 year olds can! And 8/10/12 year olds have minds of their own. :rolleyes:

What is the occupancy limit in the suite?

I wouldn't have brought the kids at all!! That's just me! It's a lot because when you are with kids EVERYTHING is about them, whether you want to believe it or not. I would not mention it all to the boys and say that it's a "ladies only" trip and that you will be doing a lot of girly things and staying out late.

You asked for advice, so . . .

If you do take any children not your own, you'll want written legal authorization from their parents to approve medical treatment for the kids. Just in case.

OK, no more lawyer stuff.
:wave:

Yeah, I figured I would need that, and also I think a notarized note allowing them to fly without their parents, right? Thanks for the input so far, we still haven't made any decisions so keep the ideas coming!

I took my then 11 year old twin nephews on a 10 day vacation just myself and the two of them. We did a couple of days at Sea World, 4 days at WDW and then the 3 day Disney Cruise to the Bahamas. This was their first ever visit to the parks and everyone's first cruise and we had a blast!! The only "problem" I ran into was the lack of adult conversation but that was easily remedied on the ship by the sheer numbers of people around to strike up a conversation with. Be sure that the children's parents provide you with legal power of attorney for the children along with their medical insurance information and any pertinent medical history.

I'm taking them on vacation again this Fall (they don't know yet :teeth:). This time it will be myself, the 14 year old twin nephews and their 8 year old brother. We will be spending 7 nights at the Ft. Wilderness cabins and this will be the 8 year old's first trip to see The Mouse.

I've never had a problem taking the twins anywhere by myself as they have always been well-behaved for me. Their little brother is a different story and that is why I have waited until now to take them back. Even though he listens better now, I will be driving by the daycare on property when we arrive just to let him know that I know where it is and remind him that they do take drop-ins! I really think that the decision to take someone else's kids for an extended period should be based on the individual child. If you do not know how well the child will listen to you and how they will act, take a shorter "test trip". Go somewhere (local fair or amusement park) for an entire day(including meals!!!!) and see how you get along.

Sorry this ended up being so long!!!! Good Luck!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter