taking meds into the parks/flights

connie254

Disney fanatic
I've been to WDW 3 times before with my autistic son, but this is the first time he'll be on meds. I got the liquid form of Ritalin and a dosage syringe for it and we're starting it three times day after meals.
My questions are-
It needs to be refrigerated-I'll put on ice in the hotel room, but what is the easiest way to take a dose into the parks? My son won't take meds directly, he'll take it if it's hidden in a drink-I'll hide it in Sprite when I buy him one. And will security at the parks give me a hassle?

Will the airport security give a hassle about it if I have it in my purse-I'm more concerned about the dosage syringe than the med itself. It doesn't have a needle on it and has a mark that clearly says "dose" at the 2.5cc mark.

He normally drinks from a straw-any problems taking a straw or two into AK?

Can I order fruit punch from any restaurant in the parks if I call ahead of time?

TIA, Connie

You won't have any problems taking the meds in. As long as it is in a labeled container, things will be fine. The dosage syringes without needles are no problem at all. You might want to take a note from your doctor saying the diagnosis and reason for the medication just in case anything does come up, like a medical emergency or something. The First Aid stations at all the parks are staffed by RNs, and they will keep medications in the refrigerator for you upon request.

If you are taking meds into the parks, I would recommend having a second bottle, just for the day's supply. Keep the rest of the supply for the rest of the trip back in the fridge in your room.

You can order any kind of special dietary request with advanced notice. You can also carry fruit punch packs, if there is a particular kind your child prefers, to avoid those unfortunate autistic meltdowns when you try to give them something new and unfamiliar. :::sigh::: They normally do not allow people to carry food and drinks into the parks, but they do make exception for special diets and special needs.

Be sure to click on the link in my signature, and read about the GAC, and about travelling with sensitive kids.

I agree with teri.
The easiest would be to bring your medication to First Aid for storage in their refrigerator. I would also suggest 2 bottles (just get the pharmacist to make you up an extra empty bottle), but you might want to bring one dose more than you need to the park with you. That way if you spill one, you still have enough for the day (the voice of experience talking here).
Even though your syringe doesn't have a needle, I would bring a note from your doctor saying you need it. Since the security screening people at the airports all have different experience and training levels, you don't want someone trying to say that it is a syringe that needs to be confiscated. I would also carry an extra in the checked baggage just in case yours gets lost or damaged. I don't think the syringe or the meds will be a problem at the parks.
WDW's rules say that you can't carry in food, but people do it all the time, even without any special needs. People have posted recently that even with checking backpacks, etc, WDW is not confiscating juice boxes and snacks from backpacks. I would bring it with me if I were you. If he only will drink a specific type, you may not be able to find it all over and special ordering it ahead of time is another thing you have to remember to do each day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter