Taking kids friends, your best tips needed

Mad4Dizne

DIS Veteran
Hi, we are seasoned WDW travelers, but this will be a new one for us. Our college age kid wants to bring his girlfriend on our next trip. We are happy to have her along, but I admit, I am a bit stumped on what to do with the room situation. I want to do onsite for ease of transportation options. Maybe 2, adjoining rooms at Pop? Kids, 3 total can stay- 1 with us and college age ones in adjoining? Thought about DVC studios that sleep 5, but that might be a bit too crowded??? Would love to hear from others who have brought kids friends and any tips you might have/resort suggestions that won 't break the bank. Thanks!!!

Some of your answer will depend on whether you mind them sleeping together. It’s only a question of your comfort level that they are, not whether or not they should be. I know my husband would never share a room with a young woman who is not his daughter. So I think the studio would be out. Also is the other kid a boy or girl? You could put your daughter in the second room, sharing a bed with the girlfriend. But if you have a son, I wouldn’t put two boys and a girl together. We have brought my daughters boyfriend with us but got a two bedroom. He had his own room and bath and she had the couch and shared a bath with us. We have also brought my daughters best friend and got a one bedroom so they share the living room and we have the bedroom with a shared bath and two doors into the bath so the kids don’t have to come through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. Also how will you share expenses? Will she need to buy her own airline ticket, park ticket and meals or will you pay? We always pay for friends that come but that’s our choice.

Will the young adults go out on their own at night? How will you set expectations for curfew at night or getting up in the morning? Will you care if they go clubbing or drinking if of age? What expectations does her parents have? I think there are more issues than just a room, but every family is different.

It's how comfortable you are with their living preference. We always went with connecting rooms. They had their own room, and I had mine! Worked perfectly, no awkward moments of using the bathroom, pj s or shorts.

We did this last trip BUT we were tent camping. DS 20 and GF 18had to sleep separately in the same tent as DD 25 and DS 11. It was cramped but I felt pretty comfortable with the situation. I agree that a lot depends on your comfort level with having their own room ( I know they are adults and do what they want at school but personally I have a G rated home because other DS is only 12) and also I assume you are paying since they are both in college so they get what they get. Studio might be cramped but doable. We like the cabins at fort wilderness with larger groups. Not too expensive and sleeps 4 in the bedroom and 2 in the sofa bed so if you want them split up or give them their own sleeping space, that works. Only downside is 1 bathroom. We have had really good luck taking friends with us. It gives them a chance to visit WDW and it’s fun for us to show the newbies around.

Some of your answer will depend on whether you mind them sleeping together. It’s only a question of your comfort level that they are, not whether or not they should be. I know my husband would never share a room with a young woman who is not his daughter. So I think the studio would be out. Also is the other kid a boy or girl? You could put your daughter in the second room, sharing a bed with the girlfriend. But if you have a son, I wouldn’t put two boys and a girl together. We have brought my daughters boyfriend with us but got a two bedroom. He had his own room and bath and she had the couch and shared a bath with us. We have also brought my daughters best friend and got a one bedroom so they share the living room and we have the bedroom with a shared bath and two doors into the bath so the kids don’t have to come through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. Also how will you share expenses? Will she need to buy her own airline ticket, park ticket and meals or will you pay? We always pay for friends that come but that’s our choice.

Will the young adults go out on their own at night? How will you set expectations for curfew at night or getting up in the morning? Will you care if they go clubbing or drinking if of age? What expectations does her parents have? I think there are more issues than just a room, but every family is different.
Thank you for your reply, I am still in the planning stages and we have a lot to still figure out!

We did this last trip BUT we were tent camping. DS 20 and GF 18had to sleep separately in the same tent as DD 25 and DS 11. It was cramped but I felt pretty comfortable with the situation. I agree that a lot depends on your comfort level with having their own room ( I know they are adults and do what they want at school but personally I have a G rated home because other DS is only 12) and also I assume you are paying since they are both in college so they get what they get. Studio might be cramped but doable. We like the cabins at fort wilderness with larger groups. Not too expensive and sleeps 4 in the bedroom and 2 in the sofa bed so if you want them split up or give them their own sleeping space, that works. Only downside is 1 bathroom. We have had really good luck taking friends with us. It gives them a chance to visit WDW and it’s fun for us to show the newbies around.
We too have a G-rated household, I am still debating all options. I think the cabins could be a good idea. But the 1 bathroom would be a downside. Yes, we are paying, so they will go along with what we have planned. I might do 3 rooms at the All Stars, put GF in one, me and hubby in one and DSs in one, it would probably still be cheaper than other options and 3 bathrooms! Lol, Thanks again for great ideas!

I would just get 2 rooms, they can have their own. They are in college and are adults so I don't see any issue with them sharing a room. And the last thing that my hubby would be comfortable with is sharing a room with a young lady that is not his relative.
If we didn't like staying on property so much, I would really consider renting a house or condo, thanks for your suggestions!

Also do her parents have any thoughts? Not to say that it is their business, but there are some parents who wouldn't sanction the trip if they were sharing a room.

On the other hand, I have gone on trips with my college aged DD and her boyfriend and because of logistics I let them share a room but declared that this was not a precedent for the future. ;-)

We have also gone to Disney with a friend of my DD's with us...We got a 5 person room in GF and she slept on the single. But we have 3 girls and my DH so what is one more girl in the room.

I'm married and won't share sleeping quarters with my FIL....so I'd definitely get at least 2 rooms. But I also don't know if I was the GF, if I'd be comfortable in my own room by myself.

I think I'd go with, "if you're adults and wanting to share a room, then you need to be paying for yourselves." Since you're paying, whatever you're comfortable with and can afford will be fine. If you can swing the 3 value rooms that might be best, if you and your husband were hoping to have your own room, too. Otherwise, nothing wrong with your family of 4 staying together and her staying in her own room. Any college age kid should be fine with having her own room.

We just took our two DS's GFs on this past trip. The trip before that, we had only one GF and we stayed in a 2-BR at OKW. DSs were in the 2nd bedroom, and GF on the pull-out in the living room. This past trip, since we had 2 GFs, we decided to get 3 studios so everyone could have their own bed plus we would have three bathrooms. DH and I in one studio, DSs in the second, and GFs in the third. The one GF that has gone on two trips to WDW with us has dated our son for almost 7 years, but they both know that until they get married, they will be sleeping separately if we're paying. And they aren't planning on getting married for another 4 years or more! They are ok with that. I would say get at least two rooms. We had thought about splitting girls and boys with two rooms since there was an equal number of each, but since we had some extra points, we went with the three studios.

What about one of the family suites? I know they are generally suited for younger kids, but the layout seems like it would work for you. We stayed in one at All-Star Music years ago with much smaller children, and liked that each child had their own sleeping spot (pull out ottoman, pull out chair, pull out sofa). I can't remember if each of those was big enough for an adult, but we did fit bed tents for twin size beds on the smaller two, so I think they were twins. the AOA suites may be better in some ways, but someone will have to share a bed (your two sons or your son and his girlfriend). so that depends on your comfort level.

I agree with the poster who said she was not sure she would want to be in a room alone. Since Disney can't guarantee adjoining rooms, it may be especially hard to get 3 together. I don't think I would feel comfortable with that, particularly in the motel style of the value resorts (doors open to outside, rather than internal hallways).

I’ve taken my kid’s significant others on trips before. They just stay in their own room, my adult kids can decide who they sleep with. My kids usually pitch in for the cost though, not everything because they are young adults but they do give me what they can afford.

ASMu has renovated family suites that might work, two pull down beds in the living area and a separate bedroom along with two bathrooms. But I would probably go with 2 rooms at Pop. I would definitely make sure you and DS on the same page for the amount of family time vs. couple time is expected.

ASMu has renovated family suites that might work, two pull down beds in the living area and a separate bedroom along with two bathrooms. But I would probably go with 2 rooms at Pop. I would definitely make sure you and DS on the same page for the amount of family time vs. couple time is expected.

Those family suites are really more suited to smaller kids using the pull downs. Grown men would not fit on them comfortably. I still say that every couple gets their own room.

I guess it depends on the age but they aren't kids in the sense that one might think. Size and overall comfort-wise WDW's suites aren't really designed for adults (though certainly adults can opt to stay in them), the additional beds and space they are in are more for younger teens, tweens and kids.

They're likely at least 18 (unless they are a young college age individual) AND it's more than merely taking friends. It's an adult wanting their significant other with them.

I would def. advocate for more autonomy the older the couple are. I still would vote personally for them having their own room. They likely will want to be with each other more often than other people. They wouldn't feel like they were interrupting anyone if they came back to the room early or left the room to go out late, etc if they had their own room.

As far as tips I'd say communication is a big one both before you go and while you're there.

If they want to branch out and go do their own thing keep y'all in the loop, if y'all are thinking of enjoying all the meals together makes plans to ensure y'all meet up at X time and y'all agree with the place to eat; you might consider having the girlfriend pick a place or two so she feels included.

I'd also temper expectations. Sometimes being with each other so much makes for tempers to flare but also having that expectation that you would be spending a ton of time together may not be the reality if the son and his girlfriend want to go off and do their own thing for a while.

Hope y'all have fun!

I guess it depends on the age but they aren't kids in the sense that one might think. Size and overall comfort-wise WDW's suites aren't really designed for adults (though certainly adults can opt to stay in them), the additional beds and space they are in are more for younger teens, tweens and kids.

They're likely at least 18 (unless they are a young college age individual) AND it's more than merely taking friends. It's an adult wanting their significant other with them.

I would def. advocate for more autonomy the older the couple are. I still would vote personally for them having their own room. They likely will want to be with each other more often than other people. They wouldn't feel like they were interrupting anyone if they came back to the room early or left the room to go out late, etc if they had their own room.

As far as tips I'd say communication is a big one both before you go and while you're there.

If they want to branch out and go do their own thing keep y'all in the loop, if y'all are thinking of enjoying all the meals together makes plans to ensure y'all meet up at X time and y'all agree with the place to eat; you might consider having the girlfriend pick a place or two so she feels included.

I'd also temper expectations. Sometimes being with each other so much makes for tempers to flare but also having that expectation that you would be spending a ton of time together may not be the reality if the son and his girlfriend want to go off and do their own thing for a while.

Hope y'all have fun!

I agree with you. Plus people need to have their privacy. Unless you get a suite where every couple can have their own private room, then separate rooms are the way to go. I know that I would not be comfortable sharing a room with my boyfriend's family and I would not want my daughters to do that either. It is just weird.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!