Taking an autistic child on DCL

Mickey&Co

DIS Veteran
I just wanted to let any parent who is considering :confused: on taking an autistic child on a Disney Cruise to JUST DO IT! :banana:

My DS12 had a wonderful time! :goodvibes Since it was his first cruise, we decided to take a 4-night cruise. I was as expected very concerned about whether or not my son would feel comfortable and enjoy the cruise. My concerns were unfounded.

Activities
He enjoyed himself at the Oceaneer Lab and he participated in some of the group activities, he saw several movies at the Buena Vista Theatre, he enjoyed the stage shows, the sail-away and pirate's night party pirate: the fireworks, meeting and taking photographs with the characters and of course he loved the pool! :jumping3:

Food
I was hoping that with all of the food choices available on the cruise that he might try something new. No luck there...his diet consisted of the usual chicken fingers and friench fries, Mickey Bars :mickeybar corn flakes and Coke :drinking1 !

Ports
We spent our day in Nassau at the Atlantis. Of course he loved the pools and he enjoyed visiting the marine habitat areas :fish: . In Castaway Cay he spent most of the day in the water with the float and playing with the sand. He did take a few minutes to have a hot dog and corn for lunch.

Seasickness
We were very lucky and had a very smooth sailing :boat:. I did give him a less drowsy formula Dramamine an hour before sailing, just in case. Though the ship movement didn't seem to bother him.

I might have forgotten a few things...but the bottom line is that my son did enjoy himself :cool1: and the only thing I regret is that we didn't go sooner.

In fact we are planning to take a 7-night cruise in 2007! :jumping1:

So make your reservation, pack your bags and have a "magical" cruise! :wizard:

Mickey&Co :wave2:

thanks for the report. glad to hear you had a good trip.

We were all set to go on a cruise next August but I'm nervous with hurraines. Also nervous with sea sickness. I'm concerned about the crowds in Nassau too. How bad was it there? DS would freak if anyone crowded into his space. I'd love to take that cruise, but we're nervous.

I too would be extremely nervous to take my 9yr old son on a cruise. He REALLY likes water and I would be afraid he would try to jump over. I don't even know if that is possible since I have never been on a cruise but I don't want to find out the hard way. I would be so paranoid the poor kid wouldn't be able to get away from me. Am I being ridiculous? :confused3

Nik's Mom said:
We were all set to go on a cruise next August but I'm nervous with hurraines. Also nervous with sea sickness. I'm concerned about the crowds in Nassau too. How bad was it there? DS would freak if anyone crowded into his space. I'd love to take that cruise, but we're nervous.

Seasickness: As I stated we had a smooth sailing so it was not an issue with us during this trip. But I did give him the Dramamine on day one. I concidered a patch or the Seaband, but decided to go with the Dramamine.

Crowds in Nassau: The crowds in Nassau did not affect us because when we got off the boat we jumped into a cab to Atlantis and jumped back into a cab back to port. So we didn't spend any time in the streets of Nassau. But from previous visits to Nassau, yes there are areas (ie. straw market) that can be very crowded.

But don't let those two discourage you from taking the cruise. Give it a chance and enjoy!

Mickey&Co

Katerbug said:
I too would be extremely nervous to take my 9yr old son on a cruise. He REALLY likes water and I would be afraid he would try to jump over. I don't even know if that is possible since I have never been on a cruise but I don't want to find out the hard way. I would be so paranoid the poor kid wouldn't be able to get away from me. Am I being ridiculous? :confused3

First let me start by saying that yes, it is something that goes through your mind with any child autistic or not. As parents we take precautions as with any other potentially dangerous situation. I don't know the actual height of the railings, but I am guessing that they are at least approximately 4' high.

My son loves :love: the water too!!! But I am lucky that he is very careful and cautious. I don't know if his age had anything to do with it, but he behaved himself and did not give us any problems.

As I previously stated he went to the Oceaneer Lab and participated in a pool party they had one evening. The counselors said that they did not have a problem with my DS and that he had a good time.

So again I say...take the cruise! It is really a magical :wizard: experience for the whole family!

Mickey&Co

Mickey&Co said:
I just wanted to let any parent who is considering :confused: on taking an autistic child on a Disney Cruise to JUST DO IT! :banana:

My DS12 had a wonderful time! :goodvibes Since it was his first cruise, we decided to take a 4-night cruise. I was as expected very concerned about whether or not my son would feel comfortable and enjoy the cruise. My concerns were unfounded.

I also have an autistic DS12! We have been on 2 non-Disney cruises and he did great! We are going on our 1st DCL on Nov5, 7 night western. We have always gotten a balcony room and he loves to just sit on the balcony and look at the ocean! I usually leave him and my other 2 children in the kids club while my DH and I go ashore-we love to scuba! We are planning to spend the CC day at the beach with the kids, though, on this trip. My DS12 loves Disney and can't wait to go on this cruise! He has been watching the DVD and looking at the brochure for months! One question I have, do they have a tea with Wendy? He has been asking me about that. (he loves princesses!) :)

jencav5 said:
I also have an autistic DS12!...One question I have, do they have a tea with Wendy? He has been asking me about that. (he loves princesses!) :)

Though we have yet to take take one...from what I have read, they do offer Tea with Wendy on the seven-night cruises.

Enjoy your cruise, let's keep in touch and let us know how it went!

Mickey&Co :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter