SWIMMIMG?

SandyinMonterey

DIS Veteran
I know the one thing that can be predicted about the weather at WDW is that's unpredictable. But...just wondering for those who have been there right after Christmas to the beginning of January, did you utilize the pool(s)?

When I was a child we always went to WDW in January/February and although the pools are open we did not utilize them too often. The weather that time of year can be anywhere from 85 degrees to as low as 55-60 degrees. I would definitely recommend packing your suits because if there is a warmer day during your trip, the pool is a great way too relax, but like you said, the weather at WDW is a mystery so it really is hard to tell!

Yes. Been there twice over the late December holidays and certainly your assessment of the weather is true, LOL.
One year we spent a full day at the water park and two days later, the resort pools were emptied out by the cold rain.
We'll still take swim gear this coming winter because hope springs eternal.

We were there in January and the kids use the pool at AoA. But, we're from Iowa so 50s and 60s felt like summer coming from 0s and negative temps!

We were there for a week in Jan 2018, one morning we had mittens and hats - it was like 45 degrees and a few days later we were swimming - Jan in Fla really does run most of the gamut.

The pools will be open and they are heated. The worst part is getting out of the pool into the cold air. During my trips in December and January it was too cold to swim. It even felt a little too cool in November, although we swam anyway. Depends on your tolerance and, of course, the wildly varying temperatures.

We've gone several times at the end of December, and have always used the pools at least once. Some days it might be too cool to swim, but it is unusual to have a lot of cold days in a row. It also depends a lot on your tolerance, especially for the few minutes getting in and out, as the water itself will feel warm regardless. Here at home, it is common to swim in outdoor pools all through the winter, even with snow on the ground. But if you are used to warmer climates, you might be uncomfortable for a few minutes. Or, it could be 95 degrees and the water will necessary to cool off, you just never know :)

We always swim on Christmas Day ... it is kind of tradition. Some years it has been cooler than others, but never a huge issue.

We have stayed in December and now travel every year in February. We always pack our suits and use the pools. I am from Michigan so if it is 65 degrees outside at the pool, it is still 65-80 degrees warmer than the weather I left. Also, the pools are heated at least to 80-82. Three years ago in December, my wife and I were in the pool. The three lifeguards were wearing a winter coat, mittens, leggings, a scarf and a woolen hat. I swam up to one of the lifeguards and asked him how he could possibly save my life if I start to drown wearing all of that clothing. His reply was priceless, "Sir, the water depth is 4.5 feet, stand up". I laughed for the rest of the day. Just bring a robe to wear as you walk back to your room and you will be fine.

I've gone several times in December and once in January. The January trip we didn't swim because it was just my husband and I, but the resort pool was open and the few kids who were enjoying it had it all to themselves. The December trips were when I was between the ages of 11 and 17, and I definitely took advantage of the pool with my cousins at those ages. Didn't think twice about it being too cold—we're coming from Minnesota, where people cut holes in the ice and jump in frozen lakes for fun.

The one thing to consider is that January almost always sees pool closures for refurbishment and maintenance. I'm not sure if there's a way to find out in advance which resort pools will be closed, but Typhoon Lagoon was NOT open during any December/January trip that I can remember.

We prefer to visit in January and we have always used the pools. They are heated and, especially if you are from an area of the country that gets snow in the winter, they are refreshing into the evening. Our last trip we spent 2 nights in the pool, swimming until bed time.

We've been in early January and the temperature was about 80 and we went to Blizzard Beach. And we have been in January bundled up with gloves, hats, coats (not just sweatshirts). You just need to watch the weather in Lake Buena Vista before you leave.

We have been once in late December and it was record heat, definitely used the pools, and we have been several times late February and it has always been warm enough for the pools. Never been in January, but like others said, it’s so dang cold here that it would feel like a heat wave on a cold Florida day

Another Michigander here. We’ve gone multiple times in December and when everyone had on winter coats and mittens, we were in the pools. One time my daughter swam up and said everyone in the POR pool was from Michigan haha. That’s because it was -2 when we left, so 60 was a heat wave 😁

We have traveled in December and January and some trips we used the pool, and orthers We skipped. The weather is kind of erratic, so pack your suits and be ready if the weather is nice enough. We are going in December this year and I plan to spend time either in or by the pool. I have two girls who swim in CT as early as May 1st when the pool is just opened, so i figure they are not going to quibble FL cold.

We have traveled in late Dec./early Jan./mid January time frame 6 times.

We’ve used the pool just one day in that time frame - it was a nice 80 degree day. On that same trip, the temp dropped dramatically and it was in the 40s/50s the rest of the trip.

It’s pretty unreliable at that time of year so we never plan to swim. Everyone has a different threshold, but it’s usually too chilly for us (even though we are from the upper Midwest where temps are probably below zero then!) We don’t like feeling chilled when getting out of the pool. We will be there late Jan./early Feb. and will not be planning any pool time.

We were originally from Chicago. We've gone the past few years in early December. One year we wore sweatshirts (it was in the 60's) and last year it was mid-70's, We swam - had the pool/hot tub to ourselves!

Yes, on every trip. We have had crazy weather.. The coldest was when we wore winter coats and hats in the morning and evening but later in the week it was in the 70s. Cold to me, but so much warmer than home. The kids swam, and so did many other guests. On another January trip it was in the 80s all week and we wore shorts and swam every day. It did not rain once. You just never know so bring a swimsuit.

I wonder if they provide you with pool towels in all of the resorts. Could anyone help me with that. Overpacking will be quite expensive as we fly in from Europe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!