Swim-Bike-Run ... Why Not? Let's TRI It! A 2017 Training Journal (Updated: 3/29: FIRST RELAY!)

When my nerves started to get the best of me, I broke my cardinal rule and had a couple beers of the light and domestic variety.

Those weren't really beers, so your rule is still intact. :)

"You have so much stuff! I didn't even know it was going to be cold!" was what the person said next to me ... so, my preparedness paid off!

Uh, did she not look at the weather forecast? Or step outside on her way to the race? Some people...

My cheering section was right by Run Out, so I crossed the mat and took off - I could hear Angela screeching to me to "Finish this thing, Keels! You're a runner!" (Nobody has ever called me that before).

She's right, you know. You are a runner, and a damn good one. Those two Dopeys are proof enough of that, as is the third leg of your tri. :)

How did I know that's what you were going to say ...

Uh, did she not look at the weather forecast? Or step outside on her way to the race? Some people...

DUDE. You would be surprised at the number of people who WEREN'T prepared for the cold. It was crazy. A large number of people were participating in the windbreakers they gave us that morning when we checked in (we got jackets instead of race shirts).

St. Paddy's Day Triathlon
Chapter 4: Final Thoughts

So, this is the reason why I needed a week or so to get my thoughts together and put together my recap post.

I did a lot of things differently this time than I've done with any other endurance challenge I've approached.

1. I hired a coach
2. I made training a full-time job. Most week days, I was at the gym for 3-4 hours. I did multiple workouts on the weekends. Monday was my only rest day.
3. I got myself a training partner.
4. I bought ALL the supplemental gear right off the bat - instead of waiting to see what I would need and then buy it.

But the one thing I did - which I ALWAYS seem to do ...

I jumped in before I was logically ready, and went ahead and made an event in March my "first". I did it with my first half marathon, and now I've done it with my first triathlon.

I will never regret my decision, and I'm 100-percent I'm glad I did. But NOW? I think I've learned my lesson. March in Texas is the world's biggest weather crapshoot. No more March events for me. I don't like the cold - just plain don't like it.

But how did I feel about the other things?

1. Hiring a Coach. Would I do this again? Yes, when I make the leap to a 70.3, I plan to have a coach help me with that journey. But I plan to spend the time between now and that training participating with a local tri group and testing out other training alternatives to find what works best for ME and see if I happen across a coach that's a "great fit". My "coach" was descent at putting together a plan and putting it on my training program for me to see and follow. She was accessible and helpful during our weekly group swim outings. But other than that? I didn't get a whole lot of feedback - from performance on my workouts to overall training. I had to ask her questions about things like if what I was planning to bring for weather was ridiculous or not. And I asked for an overview of the bike course - when I finished the triathlon, I said "Thanks for telling me about that b!+ch of a hill" and she thought it would be a "fun surprise" for me. We also had a lot of personality differences that I don't think would make for a good training partnership going forward. Could I have done my first triathlon WITHOUT a coach? I go back and forth on this in my brain almost hourly when I think about it. Right now? I'm going to lean towards no - going from Dopey straight into training for a triathlon with NO previous tri training and expecting success in less than eight weeks by just reading some websites or a magazine is a little ridiculous. COULD I have done it with help from @FFigawi and @CheapRunnerMike, as well as my local friends? Sure - but man, they would be tired of my obsessing over whether I was doing the right thing or not. So, that's my opinion on that!

2. Train As Much As You Can. Well, that's easy - if you can, do it. Most days, I'd either lift or do yoga followed by two discipline workouts (i.e. bike and swim, bike and run, run and swim). I actually ended up swimming six days a week, mostly because I liked the workout and I found it a nice way to stretch out my muscles post-running or cycling.

3. Get A Training Partner. Out of ALL the things I've done, finding my Training Partner was the biggest game changer. Em and I work out at least three times a week together, and then we're CONSTANTLY talking about training and races with each other. It's kept my husband and non-tri friends from being beat-down by the training talk. The accountability is great. Having someone to snark on the idiots at the gym/pool is a lifesaver. And then you're always guaranteed to have someone in your corner. It's amazing.

4. Get The Gear.
Well, this is purely mental for me. But I ended up buying a personal set of swim workout items (kickboard, fins, pull buoy, paddles) before my first week of group swim. It was a HUGE confidence boost to show up to the pool with all the crap that I needed, in my size, and know that I wouldn't need to share or hunt something down. Same with going to the pool at the gym to do my workouts - I knew I was guaranteeing that I could workout to my best ability to what was assigned to me that day.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now ... to the REAL question.

What did I think??

I'm incredibly proud of myself for finishing my first triathlon in less than ideal circumstances thanks to the weather. I'm disappointed in my time, but I understand what factors contributed to that. The weather sucked. I missed BASICALLY a week of incredibly important training.

But I LOVED the training. It was hard, but it was so much easier for me to wrap around (for the most part) doing certain workouts for each discipline. I still prefer to train to mileage versus overall time, but that's a personal preference that I'll just have adjust my attitude on.

The real difference was on race morning. No tears. No (well, not really ...) nervous stomach. I'd trained my a$$ off and I was prepared to finish.

I'm registered for my next sprint tri at the end of April - this one is slightly different, as the swim portion will be open water and not a pool swim. I'm hoping to get my times to where I want them to be - if I'm successful at that? My next move will be to register for my first half Ironman at the end of the year.

How did I know that's what you were going to say ...
Because we're pals :)
COULD I have done it with help from @FFigawi and @CheapRunnerMike, as well as my local friends? Sure - but man, they would be tired of my obsessing over whether I was doing the right thing or not.
You know we'd always help you out, no matter what. :)
I'm registered for my next sprint tri at the end of April - this one is slightly different, as the swim portion will be open water and not a pool swim. I'm hoping to get my times to where I want them to be - if I'm successful at that? My next move will be to register for my first half Ironman at the end of the year.
I think you, @CheapRunnerMike, and I all need to do one together.

On Saturday, I kept it low-key and made dinner for my Mom and husband. When my nerves started to get the best of me, I broke my cardinal rule and had a couple beers of the light and domestic variety. I was in bed by 10 p.m. and asleep by 10:30 or so, for a mostly restful night of sleep.

Working my way through, but just so you know...beers of the light and domestic variety don't even count as beers, so you're totally okay here :thumbsup2

Wow @Keels. First, sorry about your loss. Losing a member of your family never gets easier no matter how many legs they have.

Second, CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so proud of you. Reading about this triathlon was very exciting and I'm glad to see you made it through. Next time I'm sure you're times will be even better because no matter how much you train the real thing (especially in less than ideal weather conditions) is always somewhat of a trial.

That's an awesome accomplishment and you are really strong in more than ways than just physically. I hope you had a "real" beer in celebration!

Great job @Keels but you already knew that :) Cold and triathlon is a horrible combination, probably the worst possible. You will never warm up after the swim.

The exit to the pool was a one-person ladder, so there was a backup when I was ready to exit. But it gave me a chance to pull off my foggy goggles, catch my breath and get ready for the leg I was most afraid of.

Pro tip: spit in your goggles before you put them on to prevent fogging...it really does help. Yup, further proof that triathletes are disgusting.

I hit a "massive" hill at Mile 5 and it was incredibly frustrating. But it also became a benchmark for me. Mentally, I told myself that I needed to hustle and get back to that hill - once I climbed it the SECOND time, I was done. The bike was over, and I could finish this bad boy off.

For those who don't know, hills on the bike are waaaaaay worse than hills on the run. Don't get me wrong, they both suck...but the bike is so damn tough. Let's just say that if you get tired running up a hill and come to a crawl/stop you don't fall over sideways. On the bike, ya not so much. I've seen it happen more than once.

My cheering section was right by Run Out, so I crossed the mat and took off - I could hear Angela screeching to me to "Finish this thing, Keels! You're a runner!" (Nobody has ever called me that before).

You are a runner, and a pretty bada$$ one at that.

I high-fived runners coming back from the turnaround. Got a hug from a guy who'd passed me twice on the bike leg - ALWAYS with kind words on my performance - and he told me I "looked great" and that I "better be out there at the next one".

Love the turnaround high-fives...I'm all about this when I'm racing, and it's especially important to support fellow athletes in triathlon because as you mentioned earlier, no electronics allowed, so no music or anything to distract you from the pain on the run. The good thing about that is the athletes are usually a lot more engaging with you as well :)

Crossed the finish line and I was done! Triathlon Complete!!!

Boom. TRIATHLETE!!!

I swear I hadn't seen this when I posted THE EXACT SAME THING.

COULD I have done it with help from @FFigawi and @CheapRunnerMike, as well as my local friends? Sure - but man, they would be tired of my obsessing over whether I was doing the right thing or not. So, that's my opinion on that!

Never...@FFigawi and I will always be willing to tell you what you're doing wrong, so long as it gets you one step closer to Ironman

Having someone to snark on the idiots at the gym/pool is a lifesaver. And then you're always guaranteed to have someone in your corner. It's amazing.

Oh man, so many idiots...my pool is just so much crazy.

Love this! For what it's worth, open water swim is much better than the pool for a race...I think you'll do great. Does your group do open water swims together?

Because we're pals :)

You know we'd always help you out, no matter what. :)

I think you, @CheapRunnerMike, and I all need to do one together.

Yes! We will need to make this happen one way or another...

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about all the challenges you had leading up to the race. And losing your sweet doggie is just the worst. :(

I really loved reading about your tri and I'd say you killed it given the tough conditions. Great job. I would also not be a fan of a coach who saves a killer hill on a bike leg and then thinks that's a fun surprise. Um, nope. I've done very little cycling so far, but completely agree with @CheapRunnerMike that hills on a bike suck! I was shocked when I first really started riding some at how much more I hate hills while on a bike than when I'm running.

Fantastic job and congratulations!!

I am so sorry for your loss. It must be horrible.

Congrats on pushing through and being a triathlete. It is still awesome you want to do 70.3. Am still not sure I can. That swim is so hard. I struggle just to go to the pool once a week.

Right now my training sucks, recovering from my full at NOLA. I did not take time off initially so I have now. Just getting back to run and bike.

Congrats and again sorry for your loss. My avatar is my heart dog and still with us even though she has been in the cart for 3 years. I treasure all my time with her. My DH's dog is yeti and he is struggling so Ee are constantly watching how things go.

Hey @Keels! I've just found your journal and caught up! First of all congratulations on your triathlon! What an achievement! You should be so proud of yourself, what you've achieved the last few years is amazing!

Second I LOVE that medal! It's so cool that there are so many St Patrick's Day themed events... In Ireland in my hometown we do actually have a running event on St Patrick's Day (it's where I set my current 10k PR) but there aren't really many.

Are you still going ahead with couch to 5k?? I started a 'reboot' also just a couple of weeks ago (and a new journal) and I'm starting from scratch with couch to 5k too. Interested to hear how it's going for you!

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog and all the stress you've had lately... Sending you some hugs from across the pond :grouphug:

Thanks everybody!

I took a week off and then added another fun race to my resume this past Sunday - a relay!!

Coming next ... Wine Down Relay: The Recap - It Was the Best of Times, It Was the Worst of Times.

Race Recap: Wine Down Relay!

So, this was a last-minute race addition for me.

I'd WANTED to do this relay - all of my "Sole Sisters" here at home were running, but the numbers never really worked out and they're all about 4-5 minutes faster than me per mile, so I took the odd person out and decided I would support the two teams as they battled each other out!

And then, On Tuesday, my triathlon training partner Em text me to ask if I'd be able to come run with her relay team:

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

So - that's a little insight to Em and my relationship ... she is CONSTANTLY telling me that I'm too hard on myself, but always saying we need to get out there and "do a little extra" from what our training is telling us. An extra lift session, a longer swim, double-down on the bike. Just SOMETHING else to make it count.

Race Day

I loaded up my "Uber" with myself and six of the seven gals that would be running with me and we went off to the race start.

The race itself was four 4.5-mile loops - you could run as a team of two or a team of four, but you had to have your wristband cross the finish line FOUR time to equal 18 miles.

It was a quick decision on how the eight of us split up - Team 1 was going to be our 7-minute girls. Tam, Kari, Brooke and MB together had the BEST chance to podium finish (and win us some extra boozes for our post-race celebration!). Team 2 was Em, Roz (who was super sick thanks to the weather and allergies), Sage (who just wanted to run with us) and me ... the World's Slowest Anchor. Team 1 was competitive with how they broke down their race legs.

Team 2? Our theory was different. Em needed to run at least 8 miles or 90 minutes on Sunday as part of her 70.3 training - so, she wanted to go first and planned to tack on and try to finish her run when our No. 2 was finishing. Roz asked to run second - to get it over with. I felt SOOOO bad for her - stupid allergies had her nose and eyes running like you wouldn't believe. Sage just didn't want to run first or last. I said I would go last - I would take the longest and I didn't want to keep anyone from drinking our "FREE WINE" before they had a chance to. So, the strategy was set!

Team 1: Tam, Kari, Brooke, MB
Team 2: Em, Roz, Sage, Keels

IMG_5710.JPG

Hands in! Let's do this, Fems!

Race Logistics

We all were given a bib that had the same number (there were 90 teams - we were teams ... 22 and either 21 or 23, can't remember now). We had to always wear that bib. But our timing chip that we would hand-off at the end of each leg was a foam bracelet.

Thanks to technology and Garmin, we were able to see when our teammates were coming in, so we could all wander down to the start/finish line to cheer them in and cheer the next runner out. It was a SUPER tight spot, so they weren't really allowing people to congregate down there. They had a spotter at 4.25 that would look at your bib, radio your bib number back to the start line and the race announcer would call bib numbers to get in line in the "exchange chute". Once Runner Four finished, they had to take the wristband to the medal table on the exit chute and would receive the medals for all four team members.

How'd The Race Go?

Well, this is Texas. And if you ask a Texan how they feel about the weather, they'll generally tell you to "wait an hour - it will change". And on Sunday, BOY ... that was true.

The crap thing about a relay is the waiting - luckily, I was with fast people, so we were really only looking at 25-35 minutes before we'd go down the hill to cheer everybody on. But when we got back to our "hangout spot" - it was grey, it was cold and it was certainly windy.

We've learned lessons for next year - bring our own cooler of snacks and hydration ... we ONLY got bottled water when we finished the race, and we didn't get food (other than a banana) until they opened wine tasting at 11 a.m. ... for a race that starts at 8 a.m., that's a CRAZY amount of time to go without food or water provided in the race registration we paid for.

How'd YOUR Race Go?

Well, thanks for asking! I was undertrained on running as I was coming off my week off post-triathlon, and my only workouts of the week were weight, water and wheels-related (aka - I lifted, I swam and I cycled ... no running).

My run was long. It was HOT. After a dreary morning, the sun finally came out when I took the wristband and went out on the trail. According to my Garmin, in the 50 minutes I ran, the temperature went up 22 degrees ...

There was only one water stop and they were handing out teeny Dixie Cups of water, so that was terrible. But, this was a stretch of the trail that I've run SO many times. It's the "damn dam" portion of the trail. So, I just set in, figured it was going to be miserable, might as well tough it out and then go have fun with my Sole Sisters.

So ... I did!

Sage took this AMAZING picture of me hustling to the finish:

IMG_5716.JPG

My girls really do know me, don't they?? Just hold up some booze at the finish line and I will SUPER HUSTLE. Look at those flyin' feet.

Thoughts?

This was a GREAT Sunday with my favorite girls. We got our run in, we got our chat with each other and catch up, we got to really take a different twist on Sunday FunDay!

Look at all those fast runners and me:

IMG_5713.JPG

And hey!!! Super-functional bling!!!

IMG_5718.JPG

My "Sole Sisters" are some of the most important people in my life ... these gals ran with me, encouraged me, cheered me and coached me through my first year of running and my first Dopey. To spend this day running WITH THEM? To achieve a common goal? The best.

Last edited:
Great race recap!! It's awesome that you have such a great group of friends to do it with, your soul sisters rock!

How did your other relay team get on? The 7minute girls?

Also shocking that you had so little provided to you on race day, it's the worst when you haven't brought back-up supplies and end up thirsty/hungry! I don't know about everyone else but I GOTTA EAT after I run! It's usually what I'm thinking about the whole time I'm running!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts