Sweltering Summer or Crazy Crowds

Ya know, it's just what you prefer. We never go in the summer, always spring, fall and winter, but this year we decided to head down in July (which was just last weekend). We are platinum passholders, so no black out dates, and I felt like at least once we should go during the summer. We also wanted to check out TSL. Well I must say that it turned out to be one of the BEST weekends we have had in the parks. We started out going the week after labor day in 2005 and it was not crowded, it was perfection. However that has now changed and the crowds have increased. I can't tell you how many times my DH and I looked at each other last weekend and said where is everyone? It was great! Yes it was hot, but we planned indoor things: Star Tours, Frozen Sing along, TSM, TS lunch, to give us some breaks from the heat so it really did not bother us. On Sunday we went to Epcot and there are tons of places there to take AC breaks. You just have to decide what's more important to you, and what time of year is best for your schedules. I'll take the heat over the masses any day. But I must say, any day in Disney is better than a day at work!

Having been during both times I would vote for July every time. My favorite time to go is the first week of December but the kids are no longer being homeschooled and the wife went back to teaching so that's out.

Oh for sure I would, but I only get five days for Thanksgiving-- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. I get 10 for spring break and all of July and August. I'm a teacher ;)

I guess it varies by state. Our school is off all week for Thanksgiving.

never been in July... Hope to cross that off next Summer... Been in Mid June and early Sept... the heat was a non issue to us then.. July might be a different story but you never know until you go.

Welp, I've done both. You either take breaks to avoid the heat or the crowds. No matter what we always went back to the hotel around 1 or 2pm to beat the busiest/hottest time of the day. So neither time of year is good for hitting it hard in the parks in my opinion. I just don't think it's enjoyable to try to in miserable heat or moving with a herd of people.

The heat makes everything harder in my opinion. Things that are annoying are extra when it's 100 with 99% humidity lol.

I'd go in July. We've been in August several times and honestly I didn't think it was any different than the heat and humidity at home.

I truly believe it's what you personally are used to. I have lived in Texas all my life. Had season passes to Six Flags and went nearly every summer growing up. I'm used to the heat and know what to do to avoid heat exhaustion.

But my body is used to it. Can't say that for everybody else. Me personally, I'd do the heat over the crowds. I'd just prepare for the worst: frozen water bottles, cooling towels, portable fans.

Some people can't put up with the heat. Even people who live in it.

There's a difference between the students getting it off and the teachers getting it off.

Ok. The school is closed, though. Breaks vary a lot even within my own state.

My kid's after care even shuts down for Thanksgiving.

Ok. The school is closed, though. Breaks vary a lot even within my own state.

My kid's after care even shuts down for Thanksgiving.
*shrug* Must be nice. I just took a look at our local ISD's calendar for this November. The teachers work Monday and Tuesday of that week. Or they're called "Trade Days" (not sure what that means).

I’d go in the summer. I prefer August, like the 3rd week but high school sports usually start around that time and I have one that plays.

Summer-wake up early, beat the heat, have lunch, return to room and nap or swim, then go back around dinner time.

We are going in less then 2 weeks and it will be our longest trip yet, 11 days. We are only doing 5 park days andone water work day so it ends up being a park every other day so we will have more rest time.

Thank you again for your responses. I love hearing all points of view. I think too, like some have said, you're more comfortable with what you know. I know what wicked crowds look like, I don't know how I function in extreme heat-- I'm a New Yorker. Sometimes it just takes hearing it from others to be like--yeah that makes sense! Right now, you know what else looks good? April break is 2 and 1/2 months earlier! Every day counts ;)

I did Easter a couple years ago. Never again (plus, it poured a ton, which I'm used to but not all freaking day!).

I've never done July, Ever. In my over 30 visits. That being said, my sister has and it was fine.

All I can add is this: I will never do Easter again. Ever.

My favorite is last two weeks of August!

I'm not sure how being from a hot or humid climate makes one used to it and can cope with that at Disney, doesn't work for my family. Unless you work outside, most people from those climates spend oppressive climates inside in AC. Most humans do not deal with upper 90s and high humidity for 8 to 12 hours well, and i wouldn't want to spend multiple thousands doing it again if i have the option.

We have friends from Orlando and I've heard the DIS crew also say that locals don't go out of their way to be outside for 4 to 5 months a year, especially for hours at a time. Having been there in June, July, and September, I know why that is.

I'm not sure how being from a hot or humid climate makes one used to it and can cope with that at Disney, doesn't work for my family. Unless you work outside, most people from those climates spend oppressive climates inside in AC. Most humans do not deal with upper 90s and high humidity for 8 to 12 hours well, and i wouldn't want to spend multiple thousands doing it again if i have the option.

We have friends from Orlando and I've heard the DIS crew also say that locals don't go out of their way to be outside for 4 to 5 months a year, especially for hours at a time. Having been there in June, July, and September, I know why that is.

We are doing September for the first time this year. Could not pass it up with the prices and whisper of "low crowds." I need to see THAT for myself.

If this is a once in a lifetime trip I would say no to summer. However, we don't plan on spending 12 hours outside every day. Early mornings, afternoon breaks, evenings in the parks. There are plenty of attractions and the A/C is plentiful. It's not like people stand in direct sun at Disney for 12 hours a day.

I hate winter. I hate the cold. Maybe I am biased. :confused3 Yes, I'm from the deep south. Yes I understand the heat and humidity. Do I want to be out in it? No. We're under heat advisory all weekend here. I'll be inside as much as possible. Still doesn't mean I would think all of my money would be wasted being at Disney instead.

We are in Utah with no humidity. We went and June and felt like we were going to die. I went in June, 20 years ago in college, but either it's hotter now or my older body just can't tolerate it anymore. My husband and I decided we would pick crowds over weather if we go back. If the weather is decent I can tolerate more people.

If the weather is decent I can tolerate more people.

I fully agree. We went in August last year for our first summer trip ever to Disney. We were lucky and had always gone in early December before that. We knew August would be hot and thought we were prepared for it, but wow! The heat made things unbearable for us and resulted in everyone being short-tempered. In the heat, I couldn't even tolerate my own family, let alone anyone else, lol.

I would vote for July because my family and I cannot handle the crowds.
As for heat, my family prefer heat over cold. Our AC is set at 78 degrees at home.
We have only gone to FL in the summer time and this trip will be our third. We don't walk in the park for 10+ hours.. We take 3-4 hours break in the afternoon so my kids would have enough energy to stay up for the night time attractions. I also strategically plan indoor rides/shows in between outdoor rides.

No matter when you pick, just want to wish you a wonderful and magical trip!

I prefer heat to the big crowds.I went the last week of July last year and swore I wouldn't again because of the heat, but guess who us going again in ten days? I have more freedom going in the summer since I'm a teacher, and I go by myself so I don't need to be rushing around. I have gone in June and August too. Summers aren't as crowded as they used to be I think. I am hoping it's not quite as hot the week of July 30...I'm dreaming, right? Lol.

I pick sweltering summer (July). We just got back from a week-long trip and although it was extremely hot and humid, the respite you can get from air-conditioned areas, afternoon breaks, and staying hydrated kept it in check. And the crowds were definitely manageable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!