Swearing in Ceremony

footballmouse

DIS Veteran
My son will be sworn in next week. Is this something that the parents go to or just the recruits. I plan on taking his brothers out of school when he graduates from basic training so I wasn't planning on taking them if we do go.

He should probably ask his Recruiter. I don't think family usually attends this sort of thing. When DH went back in 2 years ago, he was told no, but when he got there, he said I could have come. I think it will depend on where it will be. They will probably just be doing all his intake stuff.

I got to attend DH's re-enlistment swearing in 2 weeks ago, but it was just him in the Retention office, not like the initial swearing in.

Where will he be attending Basic?

When my ex got sworn in, I was there along with my mother, his mother and father, his two sisters, his grandma, his grandpa, a cousin and a friend of the family. Most of the others had their parents, spouses, etc with them. I would have him check just to be sure though.

He should probably ask his Recruiter. I don't think family usually attends this sort of thing. When DH went back in 2 years ago, he was told no, but when he got there, he said I could have come. I think it will depend on where it will be. They will probably just be doing all his intake stuff.

I got to attend DH's re-enlistment swearing in 2 weeks ago, but it was just him in the Retention office, not like the initial swearing in.

Where will he be attending Basic?

Most likely Georgia, I think that's Ft. Benning.

footballmouse said:
Most likely Georgia, I think that's Ft. Benning.

Yes, Ft. Benning, that's where DH is. I was born and raised here if you need any info.

footballmouse said:
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind in case if he asks me any questions when he gets down there.

Sure, no problem. This is a very supportive community.

It's pretty much up to you. Swearing in isn't as big of a deal as BCT graduation or at least it wasn't to DH.

We went to our sons initial swearing in, and then my husband went today to his official swearing in before the recruits departed for the airport. He said he was pleasantly surprised by the number of parents who were there supporting their kids.

We also went to the airport to see him off, and the airline agent was kind enough to give us a pass to go through to the boarding area with him. Unfortunately, they wouldn't give one for his girlfriend, so we just hung out outside of security until the last minute so they could have those last few moments together.

We attended our son's swearing into the USMC in May. I was so glad we went! In his group of maybe 6 recruits, we were the only family there. However, in the waiting area there were lots of other families who went to the one before our son went.

We were also lucky enough to DVR him swearing in again at Military Appreciation Night during a pro soccer game last summer so family members could see that. I watch that little clip a few times a week and it makes me so proud every time!

Ds leaves sometime in the next two months, it seemed like a long ways away back in May and now that its here, in spite of being so very proud, I am sort of a mess.

ETA, I didn't realize this thread was two months old! This is my first time on this section of disboards, as the day draws nearer I thought I'd check it out. Oh well, I'll leave my post even though its a bit late in the game.

I attended my daughter's swearing in ceremony. I also went with her to the airport and they gave me a pass so I could wait at the gate. I was so happy I did because I got to spend almost the entire day with her. She flew out around 3:00, I think.

Edit: Sorry I just realized this was posted two months ago, so my response is a little late.

Thanks for replying even if it was a little late. I still have a few more questions so your answers could tie into those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter