Swan & Dolphin

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
What is your opinion about the Swan & Dolphin? S

Sandra: I've visited both of these properties and sent many clients there. Of course I love the location, they have a very nice "beach area" and lovely pools, the mini golf is there as well and the hotels are both beautiful. Tons of restaurants (17) are available and while I haven't seen the rooms in person, I did watch a show about the architect of these hotels the other night and they showed pix of the rooms. They were quite nice as well.

All that being said, I still don't get quite the same "Disney feel" at these hotels. Of course, I don't get that feeling with Coronado Springs either. They are more like an upscale hotel in a large city. My Disney TA reference guide states that the rooms are approx 450 square feet which makes them quite large. If having queen size beds versus double beds are a priority, make sure to tell them when booking as I think only the Swan has the queen size beds. With a room that size, I wish they would have added a daybed similar to the Contemporary to accomodate a third child. That would be a big plus for many families. Since rates at these hotels are often very good, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there.

Thanks, it was just a thought that occured to me today. See, I would love to stay at the Beach Club and just walk over to Epcot or MGM. I called S&D, and I do qualify for the govt' employee rate. In fact I called twice because I wanted to make sure I qualified. I kept stating that I am a Canadian govt employee on a municipal level and they said I still get the $129 USF rate. The cheapest I have seen BC is about $179 USF and that's with an AP or off season, which I don't think we would go. I called CRO with the new code to see if BC gets a deal, they did, but it's $289 USF, right! That's $450 CDN a night! I better be about to take home the mattress for that price! We walked by S&D in April breifly, but I didn't really even look at it. Thanks for your reply! S

My DH and I stayed at the Dolphin for five nights this past November - and we LOVED it! The location is absolutely the best!

The boat service to EPCOT and MGM was excellent and the longest time we waited was 10 minutes tops.

The bus service to MK and AK was excellent as well.

In the evenings we would stroll through boardwalk, and check out the other hotels in the area.

After a long day it was a real treat not having to wait around for transportation home.

Since this was our 'first'' time at Disney - we felt the Disney magic - but I can't compare since we didn't stay at any other hotel. But for the price and the location is really is a great deal.

Enjoy your trip!

Kim

:Pinkbounc

SandraC-do tell about this government employees rate-is it only at the S&D? So far the rates for Aug at th All Stars is $99. We'll see if codes come out but if not this government rate is a good option. DH works for the Fire Dept. Sounds interesting.

A review from www.biddingfortravel.com (nice photos - check the link http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A3708032D09&cb=PA).

Re: Orlando WDW Vicinity--Swan 4*
I stayed at the Swan from 12/25 for 5 days and it was great. We received a fabulous room with a king sized bed and a fold out couch. The room and the bed were very comfortable, almost "heavenly". It also had a balcony which overlooked a quiet courtyard, the Dolphin and a bit of the waterway. The room was next to the elevator which was convenient with a 2 year old, but dead quiet with the balcony door closed. We didn't hear the elevator, the boat horns or people in the hallway a single time. We had a bit of a problem on the first night with heat, but an engineer was sent up promptly when we called to fix it. Housekeeping was very good, although they didn't get that the golden dollars I left were a tip and I didn't have any paper singles. The staff was friendly, but forgot a few things and I needed to follow-up with them more than once. We opted out of the $8 resort fee after check-in. The front desk said that we would be charged a $6 per day "access fee" for dialing toll-free numbers but when we double-checked later on the same day there was no "access fee". We only made toll-free calls and expected to be charged on a per-minute basis, but were not charged at all.
The location cannot be beat. Epcot and MGM were an easy walk or boat ride away. The MK and AK were a short bus ride. Transportation was prompt and easy. The pools were very nice, but I stayed out of the Grotto pool because everyone said it was cold. I swam in the warmer pool next to the Dolphin and soaked in the hot tubs. We changed and showered at the health club so we didn't have to tramp through the lobby area with wet swim suits. The cabana has free life vests for children which can be borrowed on a daily basis.
We ate at 2 restaurants while at the Swan. Tubbi's Buffeteria is in the Dolphin and is open 24/7. It has cafeteria style foods plus snacks and drinks. A re-fillable travel mug is $10. I bought one, but found Tubbi's to be too far away from the Swan to use it much. We also ate at Kimono's, the Japanese Sushi and Karaoke Bar. The food was good, but expensive. We used out 20% Disney Club discount on the food portion. My family loved the Karaoke Bar. My 2 year old DD sang "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and "Old MacDonald Had a Farm".
You can see my photos at:
www.photoaccess.com/share...2D09&cb=PA
FWIW, We "opted out" of the resort fee at the time of check-in and we have not yet been charged for it on my December or January statement.
-- Robin

Hi Sandra,

While I have nevered stayed at the S&D, I would not hesitate to, especially at that rate!

We were booked to stay at the Swan last January with an Entertainment rate of $165.00 for a Junior Suite. About a month before we left, I found a "promotional" rate on the internet at the Y & B Clubs for $174.00. The YC had always been my first choice so we did stay there and had an amazing time! For the record, my kids really liked the feel of the BC more but I wanted a guaranteed full balcony which the BC doesn't have.

If we can get a good rate, I would love to stay at either again next March when we go back, as well as at the BI. However, if we can't get a rate under USD 200.00, we will definitely be staying at the S or D. The location just cannot be beat! We loved the proximity to Epcot (we could see Illuminations if you leaned over the balcony just so....). The boardwalk was great for restaurants or even just a stroll after the parks had closed.

A lot of people feel that the S&D are lacking the Disney "magic" but when you are in the center of it all, I don't see how that can be. Also the added perks of staying at a Disney owned resort weren't all they were cracked up to be in my opinion. The Mickey soaps really made me itch (I have very sensitive skin) and my husband thought the Mickey wakeup call was so &*@% annoying (his words) first thing in the morning...LOL. The kids never even heard it because they never heard the phone ring, they were so tired! As far as charging everything to your room, we don't do that anyways as we like to know where we stand financially at all times.

My biggest worry about the S&D would be the Grotto pool. I have heard that while it is heated, it never gets quite warm enough to swim if the weather is a bit chilly. Storm-a-long Bay was like a bath even when it was only about 60 deg outside. Also, I have heard that they will close the pool for private parties (conferences) now and then and chances are, you will not know this until the same day.

Overall, I don't think you could go wrong staying at the S&D.:Pinkbounc

Thanks Sandy ~ I want to stay at the Beach Club March 2004 as well! It's a dream to wake up leisurely and walk over to Epcot for a late morning coffee and just stroll around ~ aaaaaahhhhhh.

Where is Quebec are you? I am from there! S

Hi again Sandra....we've already been through this but it was quite a while ago and I don't post very often, as you can see. I am, however, an avid lurker ;)

I live in Pointe Claire where DD 10 and DS 5 go to St. John Fisher School. The oldest, DS 12, is in the IB program at St. Thomas. I think you had mentioned that you went to Lindsay Place?

I know a lot of ex: Montrealers who live in TO...Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville, Pickering, and in the city itself. I may have to pay a visit one day and attend one of your Dis Meets!

We really loved the boardwalk area and although I had contemplated staying at a MK hotel on the next trip, just to try something different, that idea was vetoed by the rest of the family. We are going for March Break 2004 on a 4 day Wonder cruise leaving Feb 29th, followed by 3 days at Disney, hopefully BI but not a problem if it ends up being S&D.

Have a nice day,
Sandy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter