SWA cancelled flights out of MCO today

Too late now since the OP is probably headed home, but wasn't she due some compensation for the cancellation of her flight due to mechanical difficulties? Weather is one thing, but if she can't get a flight the next day because of the airline don't they usually offer meal and hotel vouchers?

Too late now since the OP is probably headed home, but wasn't she due some compensation for the cancellation of her flight due to mechanical difficulties? Weather is one thing, but if she can't get a flight the next day because of the airline don't they usually offer meal and hotel vouchers?
This is SWA's contract of carriage.
According to SWA's Contract of Carriage:
View attachment 318701

It is not in their Contract of Carriage to put you on a competitor's flight, though it does happen from time to time.

I was headed to Disney World on Alaska Airlines and had a connection flight from Oakland to Seattle and then Red eye to Orlando. The plane coming into Oakland was late and we missed our connection flight in Seattle. Alaska was great and got us on the first flight out the next morning and gave us a voucher for a hotel room and vouchers for breakfast and lunch at the airport the next day. We went around the airport the next morning grabbing a bunch of stuff for us to take on the flight. They people in the stores where great too because they said make sure you spend every penny. Although we missed a whole day at Disney we appreciated everything they did for us and we didn't have to sleep in the airport. That is my idea of great customer service.

This is SWA's contract of carriage.

upload_2018-4-23_15-42-53-png.318701

People complain so much about Sprint and Frontier and say they love :lovestruc SWA. It seems that SWA really isn't any different.

My DH travels on business (every week) and gets delayed by mechanical issues a couple times a year. Delta ALWAYS puts him up in a hotel and gives him meal vouchers.

upload_2018-4-23_15-42-53-png.318701

People complain so much about Sprint and Frontier and say they love :lovestruc SWA. It seems that SWA really isn't any different.

My DH travels on business (every week) and gets delayed by mechanical issues a couple times a year. Delta ALWAYS puts him up in a hotel and gives him meal vouchers.
I know travel has changed a lot over the years. I'm sure that airlines in general from time to time do much more than what is in their Contract of Carriage but they are only obligated to do with what's in their Contract of Carriage.

When I look up Delta's Contract of Carriage it does mention about hotel accommodations with the caveat about the hours and if accommodations are not available:
upload_2018-4-24_12-0-57.png

but it does not mention food. So in your husband's case if he's getting meal vouchers that is Delta doing more than what is in their Contract of Carriage.

I've only flown 2 times with Delta in recent enough years but I will say I've been pleased with them both times (other than I find the boarding of the plane awful compared to SWA). The first time was in 2013 and our luggage didn't make it on our connecting flight from ATL to home which was a late and last flight home because it was delayed picking us up in St Lucia due to US government issues at the time. Delta delivered the luggage promptly the next morning. The other time was in 2016 when my husband's only-flown-once-before large suitcase got demolished sometimes between home, LAX and Honolulu (they think it may have gotten stuck on conveyor belt) and Delta immediately and with no questions asked shown us several replacements and gave us the one we picked out at no additional charge (rather than give money). We did fly the damaged suitcase home using duct tape lol and just use it now for road trips since the large pocket is unusable and the back is scrapped up it probably wouldn't survive another trip on a plane lol.

You could have looked into getting a flight out of Tampa. Its a much better airport than MCO and is only 1hr and 20 min drive from WDW

Never even occurred to me! That’s the result of having to figure this out right at check out time on the fly.

We just got home! And we got an email giving us each $200 voucher. Which actually covers our room and meals for the extra day. And I’ll be flying this winter so they will be put to use. I’m happier now. :)

Never even occurred to me! That’s the result of having to figure this out right at check out time on the fly.

We just got home! And we got an email giving us each $200 voucher. Which actually covers our room and meals for the extra day. And I’ll be flying this winter so they will be put to use. I’m happier now. :)

That is great news. I guess SWA is better then some other airlines for taking care of people effected by things. Great job SWA.

People complain so much about Sprint (sic) and Frontier and say they love :lovestruc SWA. It seems that SWA really isn't any different.

What's at play here are interline agreements. Interline agreements lets one airline electronically transfer a ticket to another airline. Spirit, Allegiant, Frontier, and Southwest all have decided not to use interline agreements.

Typically, lack of interline agreements isn't a major problem for Southwest because of their fleet size. Southwest has 718 planes compared to 119 for Spirit, 100 for Allegiant, and 78 for Frontier. That larger fleet means that a few cancelations aren't a big deal. But, when something major happens like needing to inspect engines, passengers would be better served if Southwest interlined.

Even if they wanted to, I don't think Southwest could have done interlining prior to last year. The old computer system wasn't connected to the same systems that other airlines used. It would have been impossible for a gate/ticket agent to send a Southwest ticket anywhere else. That changed in early 2017. Although, that doesn't necessarily mean Southwest will be interlining any time soon.

What's at play here are interline agreements. Interline agreements lets one airline electronically transfer a ticket to another airline. Spirit, Allegiant, Frontier, and Southwest all have decided not to use interline agreements.

Typically, lack of interline agreements isn't a major problem for Southwest because of their fleet size. Southwest has 718 planes compared to 119 for Spirit, 100 for Allegiant, and 78 for Frontier. That larger fleet means that a few cancelations aren't a big deal. But, when something major happens like needing to inspect engines, passengers would be better served if Southwest interlined.

Even if they wanted to, I don't think Southwest could have done interlining prior to last year. The old computer system wasn't connected to the same systems that other airlines used. It would have been impossible for a gate/ticket agent to send a Southwest ticket anywhere else. That changed in early 2017. Although, that doesn't necessarily mean Southwest will be interlining any time soon.

That's what I had thought.

airlines give you things because they have too..... But only if it is the cause of the airline if it is weather related you are out of luck period.. My flights have been delayed on multiple airlines due to mechanical and I have always received meal vouchers and if the delays were long credits from the airlines for weather many times longer than the mechanical I have received nothing...and that is what is expected.
As far as Disney two tomes I had to stay and extra day one was a little over a week after September 11th and planes were flying again -- we drove there-- and they offered me a room at the rate I booked at which and made the whole process easy I gladly accepted and all I expected.
Second time was tropical storm they found me a room as there were none available at the resort we were at made it easy offered to move my luggage etc. and I paid what I booked at as it was same level resort... I gladly accepted... I do not see any reason for them to do anything else. I could have easily picked up my stuff (Disney will move your stuff) and went else where but that would have been on my to find a hotel period and that can take hours as well as knowing my check in time is 4 or 5 so I would sitting around waiting as many hotels will charge you a fee if you check in early... In the end Both southwest and Disney did help this person out could have they done more.. yes... they could have also done less but both went above and beyond what they needed to do and that is commendable.

Just a comment about adding additional tickets.
Last year a trip to universal fell through and two of us went to a park on a day we had not planed to.
Didn't think about it until Friday morning rope drop at MK. my DD got in but me and myGDD had no tickets left.
Went to the ticket window thinking I would have to pay for 2 full priced tickets.
Took them a while but we got the two tickets added for cheap money... don't remember exactly how much but under $50 for 2 tickets.

It was the 2nd to last day of the trip, the 2 of us had used all of our tickets but not everyone in our group had, could that have been the difference?
I wouldn't have thought they could just add tickets in that case..
I was not about to leave the park with my DGD,, lol. I was plaining to pay whatever I had to at that point...

seemed like a little magic at the time...

Pop

Just a comment about adding additional tickets.
Last year a trip to universal fell through and two of us went to a park on a day we had not planed to.
Didn't think about it until Friday morning rope drop at MK. my DD got in but me and myGDD had no tickets left.
Went to the ticket window thinking I would have to pay for 2 full priced tickets.
Took them a while but we got the two tickets added for cheap money... don't remember exactly how much but under $50 for 2 tickets.

It was the 2nd to last day of the trip, the 2 of us had used all of our tickets but not everyone in our group had, could that have been the difference?
I wouldn't have thought they could just add tickets in that case..
I was not about to leave the park with my DGD,, lol. I was plaining to pay whatever I had to at that point...

seemed like a little magic at the time...

Pop

No, my husband had not used his entire ticket. It’s fine. Probably we should have tried at the park instead of the concierge but it saved us time.

I can see if that's your opinion and understand that but I don't really see it as unfortunate. I don't see Disney as obligated to try and help here. I can't imagine how many times they get "but X happened" on a daily basis. And I can understand how difficult it can be for those CMs.

Dont feel too bad for disney, even with giving good customer service and accommodating its customers, they are still making millions/billions? a year. OP, thats very unfortunate that they couldnt let you just add a day on to your previous days tickets. Disney doesn’t need your few hundred dollars.

Dont feel too bad for disney, even with giving good customer service and accommodating its customers, they are still making millions/billions? a year. OP, thats very unfortunate that they couldnt let you just add a day on to your previous days tickets. Disney doesn’t need your few hundred dollars.
Ah sarcasm..mmkk

Ok to be clear—
When we bought tix for my husband and I, we didn’t buy them together. One ticket came from Disney—4 day hopper. One from third party with a promotional extra day. Hubs has that ticket and that day wasn’t used. We only had to buy one day for me. My husband is the one who talked to the concierge, it was fine but ouch.

The desk clerk who helped me get moved resorts and checked in at the new one into a room that was already ready was awesome. I have a list of cast members who will be getting a complement from me.

Our trip was for dark side we so spent two full days resting, visiting other resorts and doing non-park things. Already done that. So yeah, after our initial panic over the flight cancellation, when we realized we weren’t going home today, we high fived, unpacked our ears and went to Epcot. It’s fine. My big frustration was southwest not letting us know about such a cancellation earlier. We could have added the extra day for half the price last night. They knew they were pulling planes for maintenance.

I didn’t realize why so many flights had an issue when I posted. I since have found out it’s accident related. This is a good thing. I’d rather be stranded and safe and at Disney another day.

But the contentious attitudes here are surprising.

I just wanted to know if anyone else out there was experiencing a similar delay. I could have worded that better. But really, it’s fine!!! Disney has gotten some serious extra money from me, I got to see lone star in Epcot and ride fun rides and eat yummy snacks. It’s all good!

OP, you have a good attitude. Hope you don't have anymore problems with your flight. Traveling can be tough sometimes. I still think Disney should of done the right thing and let you add a day to your tickets. What were you 12 hours late with adding a day? I would of asked to speak to a manager and not spent the ridiculous amount of money you had to spend.

Last edited:
OP, you have a good attitude. Hope you don't have anymore problems with your flight. Traveling can be tough sometimes. I still think Disney should of done the right thing and let you add a day to your tickets. What were you 12 hours late with adding a day? I would of asked to speak to a manager and not spent the ridiculous amount of money you had to spend.

Lol not even 12.
I just couldn’t deal with it. Let it go. Would’ve felt differently if all my kiddos were with me but they weren’t. Just me and the hubs. So it could’ve been way worse.

Wow. That is not very nice. They could have easily have helped out a little bit.
Even though another posted quoted you just to quote the "policy," I agree, not her Disney-like and shouldn't have been a big deal to them just letting the OP pay what it would've cost to add a day. Of course, no company has to be decent, but that's part of why many, myself included, choose to vacation at Disney, because of the customer service.

Upgrading has to be done before the last day. That's a policy.

View attachment 318682

Just because a flight is cancelled and you are now going out on the next day doesn't mean you have to use that extra time at Disney. Flights get cancelled all the time, weather related, maintenance related, not enough passengers (so a condensing of flight is done), etc. Disney cannot nor should they be responsible for accounting for all the "what ifs" that can happen.

The OP didn't have to go to Disney with the remaining time they had but they chose to. I can understand if they wanted to for sure but if they did then they would need to purchase a ticket. There are also things to do on Resort property that is not going into the theme parks.

It's good though that the OP was able to remain on property and that a resort room was available to them.
Good grief, no one said their policy stated they had to help. The pp was just saying it would've been nice had they, and that they were surprised they didn't. I'm surprised too and I'm sure if OP would've asked for a manager etc., they would've gotten the add a day price. No one needs to the written policy to understand the situation...not to mention how many inaccuracies are on the Disney website to begin with lol.

Good grief, no one said their policy stated they had to help. The pp was just saying it would've been nice had they, and that they were surprised they didn't. I'm surprised too and I'm sure if OP would've asked for a manager etc., they would've gotten the add a day price. No one needs to the written policy to understand the situation...not to mention how many inaccuracies are on the Disney website to begin with lol.
Good grief..no one said you had to share my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter