SWA cancelled flights out of MCO today

As stated they COULD have easily because they have the power to do so. No reason to argue about it. Just stating that it is unfortunate that they couldn't.
I can see if that's your opinion and understand that but I don't really see it as unfortunate. I don't see Disney as obligated to try and help here. I can't imagine how many times they get "but X happened" on a daily basis. And I can understand how difficult it can be for those CMs.

I mean IDK. Flight cancellations happen a lot.

I'd expect Disney to be accommodating to a hurricane (which they were) that is happening in their backyard but a flight cancellation that happens to thousands of people everyday?

I don't think it hurts to ask in most cases but don't go in expecting them to give you a break on a ticket price, or bridge it. They have a policy in place for a reason and any exceptions should always stay exceptions not the norm, not expectations.

Like I said though the OP chose to go to the parks. They could have gone mini-golfing, resort hopping, gone to Disney Springs, etc any number of things. They opted to add in more park time.

Sure. Flight cancellations happen a lot. But Disney is also not in the business to tick off customers. It's no sweat off their back to offer a discounted ticket. Win win for everyone really. The customer is happy and Disney is happy. After all, they get someone back in the parks to spend money that they saved on a one day ticket.

In the end, yes, Disney reserves the right to say no. I just don't think they would.

I used my last day on park ticket last night so they made me buy a whole new ticket rather than just add a day. That was frustrating. If we’d have known last night we could have taken care of it before we left MK.

That's odd.

I'd expect Disney to be accommodating to a hurricane (which they were) that is happening in their backyard but a flight cancellation that happens to thousands of people everyday?

This doesn't happen every day. This is based on a tragedy and SW is making sure things are safe. I would bet the CM just didn't understand what was going on.

Tigerlulu I would write in to Disney, explaining the situation. I would give them an opportunity to help you with this like they should have done already. And I'm not a big one on asking for compensation (when we've had issues Disney throws compensation to us so I'm always boggled that people have to ask), but in this case I would do it. Since you were staying onsite they are totally within the bounds of reason to let you add a day instead of buy a new ticket.

Sure. Flight cancellations happen a lot. But Disney is also not in the business to tick off customers. It's no sweat off their back to offer a discounted ticket. Win win for everyone really. The customer is happy and Disney is happy. After all, they get someone back in the parks to spend money that they saved on a one day ticket.

In the end, yes, Disney reserves the right to say no. I just don't think they would.
They can get money out of you in other places, not just the parks. And they did say no to the OP at least that's the way it sounded when they said "so they made me buy a whole new ticket rather than just add a day."

But the truth is customers can't always be happy. It's not how businesses run. Someone is going to be told no. Policies are in place for a reason otherwise no company would even think to have a policy. I am sure they get asked to upgrade tickets enough times daily. It is something that they cannot grant exceptions to everyone that comes up and explains their story.

I don't say it often really but the phrase "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

This doesn't happen every day. This is based on a tragedy and SW is making sure things are safe. I would bet the CM just didn't understand what was going on.
That's possible the CM didn't understand but neither did the OP but it's still flight cancellations. I think one may assume that's the reason but was the OP given that the reason for their flight cancellation was the plane taken out due to mandatory inspection?--didn't seem that way since they were asking.

Plus like someone said usually SWA has in "the email has information re rescheduling options." Like I mentioned though there is a flight out tonight back to the OPs home. It may however been that there weren't enough seats on the plane when the OP was looking at it.

And FWIW it does actually happen everyday..that flights are cancelled for maintenance, inspections, etc. You could be at the gate ready to board and they inspect the plane and determine the plane needs to stay put until X is fixed. Your flight may be cancelled or delayed while that occurs. What happened was awful but it's really no different than any other time a plane needs to stay put due to maintenance and the potential issues that arise from that.

Did you have to rebook yourself or did SW just tell you this is your new flight??

We have a trip in two weeks for 6 people. This concerns me. Why didn't sw try to book you on another airline.?

Did you have to rebook yourself or did SW just tell you this is your new flight??

We have a trip in two weeks for 6 people. This concerns me. Why didn't sw try to book you on another airline.?

Is Southwest a partner with any other airlines?

I'm in Orlando now, flying out Saturday. Hope they have their inspections here done by then! I did just see on the local news about the cancellations. Flew down on Friday on a quite new SW plane.

We did have SW cancel a flight on us once before when we were here. I got a call around noon that our evening flight home was cancelled and I needed to go online and book a new one. The only other nonstop was in a couple of hours, so we had to skip our last park day and hustle to the airport. Was a bit of a bummer.

I can see if that's your opinion and understand that but I don't really see it as unfortunate. I don't see Disney as obligated to try and help here. I can't imagine how many times they get "but X happened" on a daily basis. And I can understand how difficult it can be for those CMs.

And how many people would lie to get a break on a ticket. After all, even here on the Dis, many live by the notion if you can get away with it it must not really be wrong.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, I'll note that if your departure gets delayed a day, you don't have to go to a theme park. There's plenty to do at Disney World or in the nearby area without visiting a theme park. As such, I'm not sure that I'd expect Disney to bend over backwards to offer a discount on theme park admission in this scenario.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, I'll note that if your departure gets delayed a day, you don't have to go to a theme park. There's plenty to do at Disney World or in the nearby area without visiting a theme park. As such, I'm not sure that I'd expect Disney to bend over backwards to offer a discount on theme park admission in this scenario.

If this happened to us, I wouldn't even dream of going back to Disney property and dropping several hundred more dollars on another park day. I'd walk over to the Hyatt MCO and get a room, and just hang out at the pool and relax, and try to get booked on the first flight out the next day.

I don't say it often really but the phrase "just because you can doesn't mean you should".
In this case, I'm glad the OP asked, even if they were told no. If you walked out of a park on your last park ticket day and then got a text to say your flight was cancelled and you couldn't reschedule for a few days, wouldn't you ask at guest services if they could add an extra day onto your tickets at a discounted price?

If this happened to us, I wouldn't even dream of going back to Disney property and dropping several hundred more dollars on another park day. I'd walk over to the Hyatt MCO and get a room, and just hang out at the pool and relax, and try to get booked on the first flight out the next day.

I would much rather spend extra time at Disney then in a airport even if it is the hotel at the airport that also cost a pretty penny and I am sure it would be pretty pricey for the same day stay when others have been cancelled also.

In this case, I'm glad the OP asked, even if they were told no. If you walked out of a park on your last park ticket day and then got a text to say your flight was cancelled and you couldn't reschedule for a few days, wouldn't you ask at guest services if they could add an extra day onto your tickets at a discounted price?
My quote was towards Disney helping the OP out not about the OP asking (I already said it doesn't hurt to ask). Just because Disney can doesn't mean they should. You and the PP were saying Disney should have helped because they can. I disagreed in this particular case.

1) The person's flight wasn't rescheduled a few days later. It was the next morning.

2) No I wouldn't ask Guest Services if they could add an extra day. If you're asking me personally I would have used that time like I did in September-resort hopping, looking around, going to Disney Springs, shopping, etc. Like I said several times there are multiple things to do other than theme park. That may have been what the OP wanted to do, go to a theme park that is, but it wasn't what they had to do. Since they chose to then they would accept that it meant purchasing a new ticket--just like everyone else has to do. I do think the OP accepted that though they were frustrated that they couldn't just add more days.

3) If I was really wanting to go to a theme park with my extra time..me personally that is..wouldn't ask for an exception for this case. Would it suck knowing I'm paying extra? Sure but I would totally get it and count it as just one of those things that happens. I either pay the extra or opt not to go and not pay the extra. That is me personally.

I would much rather spend extra time at Disney then in a airport even if it is the hotel at the airport that also cost a pretty penny and I am sure it would be pretty pricey for the same day stay when others have been cancelled also.

I would also RATHER spend more time at Disney, but I was just saying I wouldn't drop what amounts to almost $1000 for another day at Disney last minute, like what the OP did (buying new one day tickets, rack rate room, food, etc).

I have gotten a room at Hyatt MCO the day of a cancellation for $179. My credit card travel insurance paid for it as well as my meals.

But in this case the OP, isn't lying. It doesn't hurt to ask.
I don't think the OP in particular was lying. But I do think that the CMs have probably heard many different things from guests and I can understand how it must be to have to be the bearer of bad news especially when it concerns spending $.

And FWIW it does actually happen everyday..that flights are cancelled for maintenance, inspections, etc. You could be at the gate ready to board and they inspect the plane and determine the plane needs to stay put until X is fixed. Your flight may be cancelled or delayed while that occurs. What happened was awful but it's really no different than any other time a plane needs to stay put due to maintenance and the potential issues that arise from that.

A single flight being cancelled b/c of equipment happens often. ALL of the SW planes at an airport being inspected at once does NOT. They would generally have another plane to use. They don't right now.

That's why it's a universe apart from normal.

On any airline if you find out your flight has been changed, call in to help get yourself on a flight that works for you.

Why didn't sw try to book you on another airline.?

They aren't partners with other airlines. It's not really something they do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter