Surviving Summer 2019 at Disneyland!

We’re also in wait-and-see mode. We’ll be staying at the Grand in July and hoping Disney extends SWGE reservations. Too early to have a game plan right now until additional info is released.

We booked July 5-7 at Paradise Pier the day the announcement is made. We may change our minds but we have something. I'm fine with only one ride being open because I'm most interested in the land itself. And we've never been to DCA at all, so if the crowds overwhelm us at SWGE after a bit, we'll wander elsewhere.

We just booked DLH with 5-day park hoppers and MaxPass for Aug 11-16. I'm sure it will be crowded, but hoping it's still doable. So excited to be going to DL this summer- it's been way too long since my last visit! But I'll be watching this thread for sure- hoping those of you who go before will report back!

We just booked DLH with 5-day park hoppers and MaxPass for Aug 11-16. I'm sure it will be crowded, but hoping it's still doable. So excited to be going to DL this summer- it's been way too long since my last visit! But I'll be watching this thread for sure- hoping those of you who go before will report back!
We will be there too! Good neighbors hotel Aug 14-18 and DL park hopper Aug 15-17. Our first time as a family (I did one day in 1998).

We are there 8/13-20, doing 3 days park hopping (hopefully)... also eager to see others' review of SWGE ... but I guess I'm prepared to be in crowds even if it is my bday :(

We booked last year for our June trip this year and I am already dreading the thought of being there June 10th ans 11th. We were flying out to San Francisco to visit some family and we thought why not hop on over to DL since we have never been! Now I feel a pit in my stomach thinking that we may not even get into the park if it is at capacity! UUGGHHH

We booked last year for our June trip this year and I am already dreading the thought of being there June 10th ans 11th. We were flying out to San Francisco to visit some family and we thought why not hop on over to DL since we have never been! Now I feel a pit in my stomach thinking that we may not even get into the park if it is at capacity! UUGGHHH
You'll still have time before your trip to watch this board for all the news on SWGE after it opens: all the tips and strategies, all the news on crowds and crowd control, all the updates as they happen, etc. Keep reading here so that you'll be up to date by the time of your trip. Also, when gate closures happen at DLR, they rarely last for a long time -- usually only for enough people to leave the park in question so that more people can enter, e.g. for a parade or fireworks to end. SWGE is a new animal for all of us, but I can't see gate closures lasting all day.

You'll still have time before your trip to watch this board for all the news on SWGE after it opens: all the tips and strategies, all the news on crowds and crowd control, all the updates as they happen, etc. Keep reading here so that you'll be up to date by the time of your trip. Also, when gate closures happen at DLR, they rarely last for a long time -- usually only for enough people to leave the park in question so that more people can enter, e.g. for a parade or fireworks to end. SWGE is a new animal for all of us, but I can't see gate closures lasting all day.
Especially since it will be reservation only these days, and there is no standby.

We may be nuts but we just booked a trip for late July 2019. Here's to hoping its not too insane......

I am planning 3 days at the parks in Mid-June through a PPH Vacation package ( which includes the SWGE reservation ). I'm not sure when or how long we will get to stay there, but I'm planning to stay as long as we can in that section of the park. This would essentially translate into spending 1 full day at DL ( outside of SGWE ), whatever other day at SWGE ( As long as we can ) and then another full day at DCA.

I'm guessing that it will be super crowded at SWGE in those first 2 weeks, so I expect to spend a long time in line. But my hope is to do as much as I can since we probably won't be back for another year.

I'm just hoping that there won't be huge overflows from SWGE that bleeds into the rest of DL and DCA during this time.

We’ve booked a room from Anaheim Desert Inn and will be at the park on the 22nd and 23rd of July. Is there anything we should consider in terms on getting through the security checks? I believe only one of the checkpoints is in close proximity to our hotel but is there a difference in terms of crowd levels between all the security checks? If there is then would it be worth it to consider heading to one of the other security checkpoints in order to avoid the biggest crowds?

Also at what time do you think it would best to head to the park in order to avoid the biggest crowds in the security checks?

Last edited:
The more I read online, the more nervous I am about our trip. We have 6 nights at DLH arrive on a Sunday and leave on a Saturday afternoon. So we have M-F in the parks. I don't know how to plan for this. Should I try to do Galaxy s edge on day where Disneyland opens early or on a day when CA opens early?

Also if you have a dinner reservation but the park is to capacity will they let you in?

The more I read online, the more nervous I am about our trip. We have 6 nights at DLH arrive on a Sunday and leave on a Saturday afternoon. So we have M-F in the parks. I don't know how to plan for this. Should I try to do Galaxy s edge on day where Disneyland opens early or on a day when CA opens early?

Also if you have a dinner reservation but the park is to capacity will they let you in?
I wouldn't be nervous. With 5 days in the park, you'll have plenty of time even if it's crowded. As far as SW:GE goes, it's going to be busy, but is looking more and more like it's being well planned to handle huge crowds. Are you going before or after the reservation period (June 24)? If after, then it's too early to say what the best strategy is, but keep on the lookout for info about the "boarding pass" system that was announced (without much detail) yesterday.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be nervous. With 5 days in the park, you'll have plenty of time even if it's crowded. As far as SW:GE goes, it's going to be busy, but is looking more and more like it's being well planned to handle huge crowds. Are you going before or after the reservation period (June 24)? If after, then it's too early to say what the best strategy is, but keep on the lookout or info about the "boarding pass" system that was announced (without much detail) yesterday.

We are going after that date, thankfully. We nearly booked in June, and thankfully chose another time.

Last edited:
We’ve booked a room from Anaheim Desert Inn and will be at the park on the 22nd and 23rd of July. Is there anything we should consider in terms on getting through the security checks? I believe only one of the checkpoints is in close proximity to our hotel but is there a difference in terms of crowd levels between all the security checks? If there is then would it be worth it to consider heading to one of the other security checkpoints in order to avoid the biggest crowds?

Also at what time do you think it would best to head to the park in order to avoid the biggest crowds in the security checks?

I have stayed at Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites on Harbour Boulevard, which is beside Dennys and Ihop. If this is what you mean, then you will walk across the street, cross at the cross walk and walk into Disney property. You walk up past all the bus stops and then you reach the security checkpoints. It is one checkpoint with multiple entry lines. You just pick one to join and then wait in line until it is your turn.

All previous history of July regarding wait times for security bag check is invalid for July 2019, as Star Wars Galaxys Edge will open on May 31. We literally can not tell you how busy it will be or how long you will wait for security bag check

So, now that we know more about when SWGE will open and the procedures, etc., I thought I’d resurrect this thread by posting something I’ve been thinking about.

Now that they’ve announced that a virtual queue will be used to control access in/out of SWGE *after* the reservation period closes, I’m wondering about the line to get in the park being crazy long. According to the info I’ve seen, you can’t access the virtual queue until you’ve scanned into the park for the day. So now, all I can think about is a mile long line at park opening, just so people can get in the gates and in the virtual queue. I really hope this doesn’t totally screw up rope drop for the rest of us non-SWGE folks!

So, now that we know more about when SWGE will open and the procedures, etc., I thought I’d resurrect this thread by posting something I’ve been thinking about.

Now that they’ve announced that a virtual queue will be used to control access in/out of SWGE *after* the reservation period closes, I’m wondering about the line to get in the park being crazy long. According to the info I’ve seen, you can’t access the virtual queue until you’ve scanned into the park for the day. So now, all I can think about is a mile long line at park opening, just so people can get in the gates and in the virtual queue. I really hope this doesn’t totally screw up rope drop for the rest of us non-SWGE folks!

That makes me glad that I booked a Disneyland hotel despite it being after June 22. Although we'll only get early entry on one day of our stay, right?

That makes me glad that I booked a Disneyland hotel despite it being after June 22. Although we'll only get early entry on one day of our stay, right?
You get early park entry to one of the parks every day of your onsite stay (including check-in and checkout). However, SWGE is in DL and offsite people get one magic morning with a 3 day or longer ticket. So there will still be plenty of offsite people in line to enter the park.

I just booked CCI for July 15th - 18th. I am getting max passes and praying for the best. I remember going to Disneyland right after Cars Land opened and I thought it was going to be a mad house. It wasn't too bad... but I have a feeling SWGE will be another story.

This is what Im thinking too. I usually get the 8am ART and arrive into the park after the first wave of rope droppers. Ive done Peter Pan with a 20 minute wait and walked onto Indiana Jones and Pirates.

This year, however , Im planning to get the ART at around 7am. The there are two lines to manage, the Harbour security and then the park turnstiles in the Esplanade.

I usually go to Starbucks on Main Street and then stroll over to Pirates. This year, I am planning to go to Downtown Disney Starbucks and have my breakfast while I wait in line at the entrance turnstiles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!