Surviving Summer 2019 at Disneyland!

We have a 2020 WDW trip planned for our Star Wars obsession, so our days at DL at the end of August aren't focused on the new land at all. If it seems quiet enough we might have a look, otherwise we'll be waiting until the following year.

We're driving down the West Coast (for 2 weeks) from Vancouver, with stops in San Francisco, LA, Disneyland, Vegas and the Grand Canyon. Our boys have been bitten by the travel bug so we're taking full advantage of every chance we get....before they turn into teenagers and can't stand being anywhere near us

ok, been debating about dates and I just made a decision. Im not that fexible with dates, I generally go for 3 park days at the end of June. With all this speculation about Galaxys Edge and the expected flood of reservations as soon as the official opening is announced, I just decided to make a reservation now, which I can cancel if I have to.

I have booked 4 nights at Motel 6 Main Gate for 29 June to 3 July. If Galaxys Edge is open, great, if not then when I come back in 2020 the main hoo haa will be done and hopefully things will have calmed down abit.

Would crowds still be lower on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday or does that not apply during the summer when APs are blocked out? We usually have APs but will have 2 day-1 park tickets

Would crowds still be lower on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday or does that not apply during the summer when APs are blocked out? We usually have APs but will have 2 day-1 park tickets
Mondays were busy this past summer and Saturdays were good fairly consistently -- and that was with the standard blockout calendar (the one that had the block affecting both parks together, not separately like the calendar for 2019). The current pattern just has Mondays as busy days in general.

We`ve reserved a room from Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites (20th-24th of June) and are planning on heading to the parks for two days on the 22nd-23rd. Our flight lands to LAX at about 8:00PM on the 20th and I think we need that first day to recover and get our heads straight after a long journey from Finland.

I bought the DL park hopper tickets with Maxpasses already just in case the prices go up this year.

It will be interesting to see if SWGE will open right on that weekend like most seem to be speculating...at least we have a good six months to spend on formulating a solid game plane for those two days

There’s not much room for changing our dates but if it will do any good I think we might be able to consider going a day before but that would not be ideal since we have a long day of travel just behind us and a jet lag to recover.

Well, with the price increase going into effect today, I went ahead and purchased our tickets! I got them from LMT, still discounted off of the old ticket price, so I'm pretty happy about that. In fact, the difference in price covers the cost for MaxPass, so that's a bonus! The purchase/process was so smooth too. I got my confirmation email immediately, and the actual tickets about 30 mins later. And they're already scanned into my app. Since I already had my room reservation (Residence Inn, July 6-9), we're all set. I can't wait!

Now just have to wait to hear the exact, official opening date for SWGE! :cool1:

We will probably go once or twice, but we are passholders and will go at park opening, go straight there and then do other things until it gets too busy. I will also say that with these price increases and given that it appears there are still no renewal discounts, we will probably not renew for a couple of years to give the crowds time to die down, but it is very much play it by ear.

Thanks for starting this thread!!

We are planning for the 4th of July-ish again next year. Haven’t booked a hotel yet cause we’re debating....having donated a kidney to the Grand last month ;) ....

1. Stay onsite? The Grand California. Take advantage of the EMH...if it still exists!

2. Or! Stay offsite and book a VIP tour?? One day. 6 hours. Don’t leave GE, if that’s allowed.

Thoughts? Think GE will be on the VIP list to access?

I love reading everyone’s plans!! So exciting!! :)))))
I don't think GE will be on the VIP list for at least a year or two, probably not until Marvel opens up, then it won't be on the VIP list for a while, but GE might be at that point.

Hello - I have not read through everything yet - I have a hotel booked (one of the good neighbor ones but not right there in walking distance - from what I have read, I might want to look into changing this to a closer one?? Can you easily grab an uber if I didnt want to worry about the free bus?) for June 19-22 - plan to go to park June 20th and 21st with the 22nd as the possible 3rd day. Do DL one day, DCA another day, then park hop the 3rd day?

I am hoping GE is not opened (from what I read here it seems that most think it will not be open that early in the summer).

My question is do I have any shot at doing DL one day and then DCA the next? Would the 3rd day be necissary? Should I do park hopper is I do the 3 day? I really dont know how much time to leave for each park. Is the MaxcPass necissary and worth it for the $20 per day?

Is it better to spend thur/fri/sat or sat/sun/mon at the park?? I see that AP is blocked out for part of that weekend so not sure if would be better off maybe even going on fri/sat/sun??

As you can tell, Im pretty clueless and then have no idea if GE will be open then and just make it ridiculouly crowded and miserable (which if it does end up being scheduled to open then, I will likely cancel the trip b/c I dont want to deal with that much of a crowd).

Hello - I have not read through everything yet - I have a hotel booked (one of the good neighbor ones but not right there in walking distance - from what I have read, I might want to look into changing this to a closer one?? Can you easily grab an uber if I didnt want to worry about the free bus?) for June 19-22 - plan to go to park June 20th and 21st with the 22nd as the possible 3rd day. Do DL one day, DCA another day, then park hop the 3rd day?

I am hoping GE is not opened (from what I read here it seems that most think it will not be open that early in the summer)...

If you do have a chance to read through this thread, you'll see that most bets around here have June 21st as opening day (for the general public) for SWGE. That guesstimate is based on the current AP blockout calendars for June of this year. I would definitely add a third day!
If you really want to avoid SWGE, could you visit sooner? Bob Iger said June for opening, so if you visited in May or earlier, you'd be safe. And there are promotional tickets on sale now that won't expire until May, so you could save some money there. Just a thought...

Which hotel have you booked? Since you mention a free shuttle, I assume you mean the Majestic Garden on Ball Rd.? (Not that many hotels have free shuttles.) If so, that hotel is walking distance to the M&F tram (about 10 minutes walk). Bag check at M&F usually goes more quickly than the bag check on Harbor, especially during busy times. And, yes, you could easily use Uber/Lyft from that hotel to the DTD drop off. DTD and the DLH bag check stations (very close to each other) also move pretty quickly and aren't usually crowded.

Last edited:
We have plane tickets and hotel booked for July 17th - 21st. I know crowds will be heavy but we are used to them since we live 1 hour from WDW and go often.
We are not huge SW fans but would not be against checking out the new area. I was at Universal Orlando for both HP opening weekends.
It will be my son's and my granddaughter's first trip and my third.
Can not wait to be back at DL!!!

So, now that the SW:GE opening date(s) have (kinda/sorta) been announced, how is everyone feeling about their plans? I'm wondering if the uncertainty (will RotR be open or won't it?) will make a decent number of people push trips back to later in the summer or even the fall, thus making the crowds manageable. Our dates are July 6-9, so that seems like quite a gray area in re: RotR. Oh, I don't know. We booked this trip with no idea that SW:GE would be a thing and are just trying to go with the flow.

We're still going as planned in July, Sept, likely Oct again, and Dec. I'm not so worried about not being on-site for the first few trips though (and cancelled my on-site rez's). I'm thinking RotR will be open by July, and def Sept, so I'm not worried. We will enjoy SW:GE no matter what's open! I'm thrilled they're opening it early in "phases," I think it will help crowds in the summer and fall. I was worried more about our Sept trip from massive AP crowds than I was about our July trip!

Everyone, please push back your trips until at least September, then we will have smaller crowds until our passes expire...lol

Really I don't think one ride not being open yet will determine too many people, as they will already have booked nonrefundable airfare by now.

So, now that the SW:GE opening date(s) have (kinda/sorta) been announced, how is everyone feeling about their plans? I'm wondering if the uncertainty (will RotR be open or won't it?) will make a decent number of people push trips back to later in the summer or even the fall, thus making the crowds manageable. Our dates are July 6-9, so that seems like quite a gray area in re: RotR. Oh, I don't know. We booked this trip with no idea that SW:GE would be a thing and are just trying to go with the flow.
We will be there right before you (7/2 to 7/4) so we are in the same position of uncertainty. Frustrated by the lack of specific information. It’s hard to plan with so many what ifs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter