Surprising the kids at the airport - has anyone done it?

friedela

DIS Veteran
Our kids know about our trip but they still think it's over a month away. We told them that in two weeks daddy needs to go on a business trip (which isn't uncommon for him) and our plan is to surprise them at the airport that we are going to Disney today! However, I have no idea how to pull it off without them catching on. We are driving our van to the airport, parking in long term then catching a shuttle to the airport. When my kids see 5 bags they are going to be asking questions.

So I am curious to hear how others have done it in the past?

Yes!!!! We did this last year!

We played it off as we were traveling with daddy on a boring work trip (that way I could ack their stuff without it being super stressful)....when we got to the airport my girls read a book I had created for them....it basically told the story of them going on the work trip but then they realized their parents tricked them and they are going to Disney World. Lol...they were a little slow to catch on, but were super excited!

We're doing it for the 1st time in about 3 weeks. Kids think they are going to Grandma's in Florida (which they are), but when we get to Orlando we're surprising them with 2 days in Disney. Not exactly sure how we're doing it.
I'm thinking that one of us will run down to Magical Express and ask them to hold our Magic Bands, so when we get down there with the kids I know they'll recognize it and be all sad we're not taking a Disney bus. I'm thinking that's when we tell them you need a Magic Band to get on the bus - and have the cast member pull them out.

I did this for my DD when she was 8. My husband was going to Tennessee for a Christmas light convention. We had already been twice so I decided we didn't want to go. Two weeks before his trip, I got a great Ding fare from Southwest. I jump on it, booked Pop Century (I think) and we already had Annual Passes from a previous trip. I told her we had decided to go with daddy. Our flights were only about 1/2 hour apart from each other so we all went to the airport at the same time. We got to the airport and I had made a card that said something like "Now say goodbye to daddy, he's going to TN but we are going someplace better than that" and inside was a pic of the castle. She was confused but then finally caught on. Best trip ever! Mommy/Daughter. Can't wait to do that again some day!

We did... we went Thanksgiving 2015, the first part of the trip was for my husband's work retreat in Orlando, the surprise part was that my parents were meeting us there after that was over and staying an extra 5 days for Disney. My kids were 2 1/2, 4, and 5 1/2 at the time. We had my BIL video us telling them in the airport -- no reaction, LOL, it was a bit anti-climatic. I just think they didn't really process what we meant. Oh well!

Our kids know about our trip but they still think it's over a month away. We told them that in two weeks daddy needs to go on a business trip (which isn't uncommon for him) and our plan is to surprise them at the airport that we are going to Disney today! However, I have no idea how to pull it off without them catching on. We are driving our van to the airport, parking in long term then catching a shuttle to the airport. When my kids see 5 bags they are going to be asking questions.

So I am curious to hear how others have done it in the past?
I've seen some videos online of parents doing the last minute airport surprise, and in many cases it didn't go well. Tears of disappointment instead of joy for reasons ranging from..."I'll miss my friends sleepover" , to "But, you said we were going to Cleveland to visit Grammy! I want my Grammy!" Etc.

I've seen some videos online of parents doing the last minute airport surprise, and in many cases it didn't go well. Tears of disappointment instead of joy for reasons ranging from..."I'll miss my friends sleepover" , to "But, you said we were going to Cleveland to visit Grammy! I want my Grammy!" Etc.

or "I wanted to go to Super Walmart or Dick's house" :)

OP just be aware that at some point the cat may come out of the bag. If it does just roll with it. I've see a few posts here over the years of surprises gone wrong and how it TOTALLY ruined the trip. :sad2:

Last edited:

How are are your kids and flying?

I've been watching some of the fails on YouTube. (you can find them if you want to) and some of the kids are most upset about flying.

How are are your kids and flying?

I've been watching some of the fails on YouTube. (you can find them if you want to) and some of the kids are most upset about flying.

we are a different story though because my kids know we are going to Disney it's just the time that is a surprise. So we've talked about flying and have ordered special ear plugs for them, etc. They are super pumped about flying for the first time!

Thanks for all the stories guys! Most of you managed to couple the surprise with an already planned trip. I am still not sure how to explain all of our extra bags when we get there. Maybe I'll just tell them before we leave for the airport instead.

we are a different story though because my kids know we are going to Disney it's just the time that is a surprise. So we've talked about flying and have ordered special ear plugs for them, etc. They are super pumped about flying for the first time!

yea this falls into "only you know your kids"

We surprised our kids. We went in the winter and hid the bags under coats in the trunk. I also hid a change of clothes for each of them in the trunk too. We got the kids ready for school and told them that we needed to drop dad somewhere on the way to school. When one of them asked why we were going in the opposite direction of school I put on sparkly Minnie Mouse ears and turned around. Our youngest figured it out right away and was very excited. Our older son was mad because we had tricked him. :sad2:

My favorite video is the kids crying, the daughter sobs why did you lieeeeeeeeeee

Yep. We kind of did it both at home and airport. They thought we were going to visit their grandparents, who they had just seen two months earlier so this was not particularly exciting news. So the morning we were heading to the airport I told them I had something to help make their trip more fun and to find it, we'd have a scavenger hunt but they had to be completely ready to go before they got their first clue. Stroke of genius on our part because instead of lolly-gagging about, they motored and quickly were ready. The clues led them all over the house while I put the last items in for packing. The last clue at the house said the final clue was at the airport gate. You never saw two kids more ready to head to the airport. So we were off in plenty of time. We went to the gate, thinking they might look and wonder why it said "Orlando" but they didn't even pay attention. So we gave the last clue. There was no crying but it wasn't a screaming and jumping up and down. They were very happy but it was a bit anticlimatic. DD hugged us tight and they started looking at the coupon book I'd made and the guide book. Of course when we didn't go to WDW right away, they got VERY upset. Until they discovered they were at USO. I told them that was the last surprise. Too hard planning without their input! FWIW, I knew my kids. DD loves surprises so that was easy. DS usually likes to know but I'd asked him for a long time if he would be okay being surprised with WDW and he said yes. So I knew it would not be a case of crying. For you, it would be easy enough to say "Oh, Daddy's work trip required some extra gear so we have more suitcases." Then you can either let it slowly dawn on them that they are going. The other thing to prepare for is that TSA or ticket agents might say something about Orlando destination. I kept the kids busy while DH dealt with that and quietly informed them it was a surprise. The TSA agent told our kids "enjoy Albuquerque" and they were so confused! So I would talk with your DH and decide if you are doing so when you get out of the car, at the gate, or when you get to the airport itself. Then you can just tell, show, give them each a piece of a puzzle to put together to figure it out, etc. Have fun!

Yes!!!! We did this last year!

We played it off as we were traveling with daddy on a boring work trip (that way I could ack their stuff without it being super stressful)....when we got to the airport my girls read a book I had created for them....it basically told the story of them going on the work trip but then they realized their parents tricked them and they are going to Disney World. Lol...they were a little slow to catch on, but were super excited!

Love the book idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts