Surprising at the airport or home?

AKL_Megs

DIS Veteran
We have the opportunity to surprise our DD7 with our upcoming trip. She doesn’t know we are going, but she’s been asking/hoping we are going. We are indecisive about which way to surprise her, and interested in he opinions of others!

Basic stats:

We will have to be out of the house by 7am. She’s usually up around that time for camp. She will be at camp the day before, and that’s when I will pack everything.

Our ideas are:

Telling her we are driving to the airport to pick up someone her dad works with. When we park, we will pop the trunk and tell her where we are actually going.

Telling her at 6am when we wake her up.

I’m not keen on telling her the day before because I don’t think she will sleep. I’m also not worried about packing favorite things; she doesn’t have a “lovey” and knows if she packs “stuff”, she doesn’t get souvenirs.

Thoughts? Pros/cons?

How awesome! You know her best--if she handles surprises well, the airport would be great.

She is a great age for this. We surprised ODS when he was five, but the trip was three weeks away. He didn't quite get it, and his reaction was ho-hum. He barely remembered the previous trip. When the boys were older, we did a scavenger hunt that they loved. They were so excited!

My 8 yo would whine and be cranky if I said we had to drive to the airport early in the morning just to pick up a coworker, and then I'd be mad about the bad attitude.... I'd tell him over breakfast before leaving. Like "Hey, what if we played hooky from camp and work today and just went to Disney instead?" Maybe make Mickey pancakes or waffles to drop a hint.

I never surprised my kids, but at that age, what if she had a special stuffed animal or something she wanted to bring along? And if you packed for her & didn't have it, she may be disappointed.

For that reason, I'd at least tell her the day before. That way if she had a special lovey to sleep with or tee shirt to wear, she could give some input on that.

Just a thought!

Are there any special restaurants near your airport? When you start towards the airport you could tell her its a special breakfast until you get to the airport and tell her there. I don't have much experience on the surprise angle. I have my 2 bosses (8 and 17) involved in every step of the planning from what hotel, to the restaurants even the fast passes.

Are there any special restaurants near your airport? When you start towards the airport you could tell her its a special breakfast until you get to the airport and tell her there. I don't have much experience on the surprise angle. I have my 2 bosses (8 and 17) involved in every step of the planning from what hotel, to the restaurants even the fast passes.

I have never asked my kids about hotel. Yes, rides and places to eat, but I'm paying so I choose the hotel, LOL!

I think you should give her some time to get excited about it and have something to look forward to. You could totally surprise the heck out of her, but give her a little bit of time to build up the excitement about going.

Part of the fun of the trip, for me, is the excitement leading up to it. I can dream about it a little bit before I get to go, and I can talk with friends (or brag as kids love to do), and kind of plan what I'd like to do. The part leading up to the trip is almost as exciting as the trip itself.

I think you should give her some time to get excited about it and have something to look forward to. You could totally surprise the heck out of her, but give her a little bit of time to build up the excitement about going.

Part of the fun of the trip, for me, is the excitement leading up to it. I can dream about it a little bit before I get to go, and I can talk with friends (or brag as kids love to do), and kind of plan what I'd like to do. The part leading up to the trip is almost as exciting as the trip itself.

TOTALLY agree with this! I would never wait until the morning of or at the airport. Why not surprise her at least a few days beforehand so she can get excited about the trip?

We surprised ours on the plane last time, told them we were going to a soccer tournament with work and then had the air hostess announce it on the loud speaker! haha.... it was funny!

Airport. will she notice if there are suitcases in the car?

This is why I've never surprised anyone. It's fun to plan on what you'll do, shop for a new outfit, etc...

We did surprise one time.
We were leaving at night and we did a scavenger hunt that morning.
Left like 5 clues to different parts of house. Each clue had a small gift.
Then last clue was there suitcases with sign saying. We’re leaving tonight for Disney.
Girls loved it. They always want us to surprise them again that way. Was pretty cool

I think either way will work great for you. We recently surprised our kids for our May trip. We surprised them when we woke them up at 2:30AM. However our oldest was almost 16 at the time of our trip and we knew she would figure it out pretty quickly.

We have 6 year old twins. I told them we had a surprise planned. Twin #1 said don't tell him, he wanted to be surprised. Twin #2 said tell him, he wanted to know. For weeks, Twin #2 and I excitedly (and surreptitiously) planned fastpasses, watched ride videos, chose ADRs and just generally got super excited for the trip. Twin #1 kept saying he couldn't wait to find out what the surprise was. But then it totally fell flat when we told him on the day. He was actually a bit bummed that his brother got to pick all the fastpasses. Oh well....

So anyhow, am just casting my vote in with the crowd that says maybe don't do the surprise reveal the same day you are going. Surprise them a week or so in advance--there's lots of cute ways to do this. You can do a scavenger hunt that ends with finding their magic bands. Or mail a letter from tinkerbell (read, lots of glitter) that says they're going to disney world. Good to give them a little time to digest and have something to look forward to.

I wouldn't tell you you had to pick someone up at the airport, I'd tell her she has to go camp early because you have to stop somewhere first, and just get in the car and go to the airport. Then tell her. That is if you think she would be OK being surprised the day of.

My daughter who is 5 is already asking to help plan the next trip. I think i would love the bonding too much to keep that secret and do a surprise. The build up is too much fun.

However, when the family is out running errands and my kids ask "Where are we going?" I always say Disney World. This way if I ever want to surprise them, one day it'll be true.

We did a surprise trip a number of years ago and simply told the kids that dad had to go out of town for work (not an uncommon occurrence so was plausible). Once at the airport parked the car in the garage so they could walk me in and use the bathroom....... once inside we told them and it was worth the effort!!!! :)

good luck and enjoy

I have done the surprise in a variety of ways. I have done the day before, 3 days before and the "we are going to the airport right now" surprise. I have never attempted to get all the way to the airport. My two are too nosey. When my son was 7 last year, we had a trip planned. My teenager knew about it a month ahead of time. We had an evening flight but he stayed home from camp so I could go in to work early enough to get in a full 8 hours before I had to come home to get them.

He stayed with my teen while I was at work. I told her to tell him we were going out to eat dinner in order for him to be dressed when I got home. I had packed his carry-on with toys I figured he would want to bring; but I was also home in time for him to make changes to the bag if he wanted before we left for the airport. I think I left about 30 minutes of leeway time. Came home with new stuffed Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse and told him where we were going. He loved it.

His personality is such that I prefer to wait until the day of departure but I am able to avoid super early flights. He isn't hard to wake up though so if I had to do an early surprise I could. I would not wait until you were at the airport. For me I'm bound to not have something he wants to take with him. He right now usually has some kind of transition item; and I would likely leave the wrong thing at home.

I did a hybrid approach for one of our trips. I told my oldest DD (she was just shy of 5) that we were going to do a daddy/daughter trip to Disney for her birthday, so she knew we were going. But I actually took her a week earlier than she was expecting and I made her think we were going golfing that morning. Here's a snippet from my soon-to-be trip report...

-------------------

As you’ve probably guessed from some of the hints I’ve dropped, this trip was not going to be a total surprise trip for Kat. However, she didn’t know WHEN we were going on the trip. I had actually told her we wouldn’t be going for another week, so the night before we left, she had no idea she was only a short eight hours from leaving for the happiest place on earth!

We had a 7:40 am flight, so I had everything packed and ready to go by midnight before I settled in for a quick four hour nap. Phone alarm went off far too early…but Disney traveling day has a way of getting the juices flowing and after a quick shower, I was ready to go! I got the car all packed up and then went upstairs to wake Kat up.

I slipped into her room and quietly got her up and out of bed without waking DD2. In order to keep the ruse going, I told Kat that I was taking her golfing with me.

We were out of the house by about 5:00 am. Of course, it was lightly raining outside – but it was too early in the morning for her to start questioning things. Plus she’s knows I’m crazy enough to golf in all kinds of conditions.

We made our customary pit stop at the neighborhood kolache place and started out for the airport…I mean golf course. About halfway there, Kat started questioning why we were heading to golf while it was still dark outside. I guess the kolache got her mind to start firing on all cylinders?

I mentioned to her that we were golfing so early so that we could be done early and then be able to do more fun things later. But with the rain picking up, along with her mental faculties catching up, I shifted the topic a little and mentioned that the rain might prevent us from golfing and so we might need a backup plan.

Kat sighed and said, “let’s just go home then.”

Me: “You don’t want to do something else? Surely we can do something fun.”

Kat: “let’s just watch a movie at home.”

Me: “well. If you could do anything, what would you want to do?”

Kat: “Go home and watch a movie.”

Me: “Really? If you could ANYTHING???”

Kat: “well. I’d like to go vacation…but that’s next week. So we can’t go right now.”

<hahaha. Now I got her where I want her>

Me: “Hey…You know what? That sounds like fun. What do you say we head there right now???”

Kat: “WHAT??? Are you serious? What about our bags?”

Me: “Yep!!! We’re heading to the airport right now. They’re in the back of the trunk. We weren’t ever going golfing!!! I hope you’re not mad at daddy for playing a trick on you.”

Kat: [After a high pitched squeal] “Playing tricks on people isn’t nice. But I’m not mad at you, daddy.”

Drive to the airport was uneventful, which is a good thing. I could barely contain my excitement with the anticipation of all the fun we’d have together. I’d been looking forward to this trip for over a year, and now that it had finally started, I had to fight back the happy tears while driving through the rain.

After we got to the park and ride, I finally got Kat changed into her Disney outfit (she was still in her PJs). I then continued the surprises with a Lady plush doll! I’m such a sucker.
---------------

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter