Surprise Resort! Skipping Grad for Disney!

TheDisneyOutsider

Mouseketeer
Hello all!

I just returned from Disney yesterday and I have been feeling the blues since I step on to the Magical Express :(

Anyway, I decided that the best thing for the Disney blues is to relive the magic! So I have decided to do a trip report! My first trip report!!!

I am just uploading all the photos, even though I wasn't the best at remembering to take pics...but I thought I would start by explaining how this trip came about etc etc...

So who went on the trip?

First is me :wave2: My name is Brittney, I'm 18. My first Disney trip was when I was 18 months. This was my high school graduation present.
My mom came to me in January and asked how I would feel about skipping my graduation and going to Disney instead. I took a lot of time to think about it, asked a lot of opinions, and ultimately decided yes. Many people told me that I was crazy and would regret it terribly, but honestly I was fine. My friend texted me before and after the grad. The awards went to the favorites and no matter how smart you are or how responsible and friendly, nobody cares if you are quiet and don't stand out. My grad class was the largest my school has ever had and I was much happier to be strolling through MK then sitting in an over crowded room for three hours...I know, I'm strange, but I've never really been a traditional person so why start now? :laughing:

So anyway, back to me and Disney;
Favourite park: MK
Favourite character: Stitch and Tink
Favourite Disney snack: Mickey Premium bar (or what I call it: Mickeysicle)
Favourite ride: HM or POC...can't decide :)

Next on the list is my brother, Ryan. He is 20 years old and though he may not express his love like me, deep down I think he loves Disney World almost as much as me :eek:

Favourite Park: Epcot
Favourite character: ?? I don't know and he won't answer sooooo
Favourite Disney Snack: Dole Whip
Favourite Ride: Space Mountain

Next is Dad. He gets dragged along to Disney because of the rest of us :rotfl: He hates heat and crowds so taking him with us at the end of June may not have been the best idea... :rolleyes2 I think deep down he has fun though ::yes::

Favourite park: Water parks
Favourite character: ....I don't think he cares...maybe captain Jack??
Favourite Disney Snack: Popcorn
Favourite ride: TOT

And lastly, the one who put it all together: Mom... So that was the other half of the story. After we decided that we were skipping my grad for Disney. I came up with the idea that my mom could book the trip and not tell me or my brother where we were staying. I always wished that I could be surprised with a Disney trip and since I already new about the trip I decided that there could still be a surprise involved!
So my mom booked the hotel and planned without me! (Which was very hard for the Disney planner inside of me and made me feel very unprepared) but it was fun and worth it in the end :goodvibes

Favourite park: Mk or Epcot
Favourite character: Eeyore
Faourite Disney snack: The milkshakes at Sci-fi Diner
Favourite ride: Buzz lightyear, POC and HM

So that is the family and the situation! Once my pics are uploaded and sorted out I will continue on with the rest of the trip!

Can't wait! I skipped my graduation when I earned my master's degree....no regrets at all! =)

Looking forward to reading more!

Thanks for everyone who's decided to come along on the journey! :hug:

So like I said before, this trip was going to be for my graduation and I would actually be skipping my graduation in order to go to Disney instead :cool1:

So after my last exam I said goodbye to my friends, emptied my locker and after six years, walked out of my school for the last time... :sad:

It was actually a very emotional experience and I know for a fact that as much as everyone is glad to get out of high school, I will miss it terribly.

So anyway we got home and it was crunch time, we only had a little over 24 hours before we would be heading out!

My last exam was on Friday and we were leaving for Disney on Sunday morning at 3am :scared:

Like normal, Saturday was spent rushing around to pack, since we hadn't had time to do so already, and taking our dog to the doggy babysitter. :p

Here's a picture of the princess just for fun!

DSCF0042_zpsdf47eb1b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Also, we had to take time to paint our nails!!

IMG_0261_zpse52c93e2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I decided to try something new this year! Pin trading!! I always thought it looked like fun, but I was scared to try it because I am a very shy person and didn't think I would be able to do it. But this year I decided to give it a go, so I bought a lot of pins on eBay to take with me, which, thankfully, arrived a week before we were meant to leave! (this is what happens when you book your trip only six weeks in advance...)

IMG_0044_zpse607d475.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Finally, we got all packed, (although we didn't get to bed until nearly 11 :rolleyes2) and set ourselves in for a very short sleep!!

IMG_0159_zps70b4d9f6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next will be arrival day and the secret resort revealed!!

I, too, went to Disney right after graduating (although I sat through my ceremony and then went straight to the airport). Looking forward to reading your report.

I, too, went to Disney right after graduating (although I sat through my ceremony and then went straight to the airport). Looking forward to reading your report.

I was originally going to sit through it and leave the next morning, but the timing worked out better for my Dad to take off work if we left the Sunday instead of the Wednesday.

Glad you've come by to read! :thumbsup2

Today we had to get up at 2am in order to be out the door by 3. Our flight was boarding at 6:30am. I love morning flights! Driving to the airport is always so cool because we are literally the only ones on the highway!

When we got to the airport, the first question the lady asked us was where we were staying. My mom was worried for this because we agreed that she wouldn't tell us our resort until getting in line for the Magical express. She was like, "can I whisper it in your ear?" and explained that it was a surprise. The lady was so completely excited and said that we made her day by hearing about the surprise. :confused3 :p

We got through security easy and soon we were off!

We arrived in Charlotte, NC at around 9:30am, grabbed a quick early lunch, and took off again for Orlando at about 11am.

We finally arrived in Orlando at about 1pm! We then took our first ride of the trip, the fake monorail!!

When we got to baggage (we didn't use the ME baggage pick-up thing because the tags had our resort name on it) my mom decided that she would finally tell us our resort!

She handed us each a ripped off part of our ME tags that were meant for our bags with the resot name on it. I flipped it and....

photo4_zps48ccab1d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Grand Floridian!!!

I have to admit up until this point I was about 98% sure that it would be AKL with the other 2% going to the Caribbean Beach, and I was actually shocked that it was GF! :cool1: I didn't think it would actually be a surprise but it was!

So we got our bags and headed down to ME.

While waiting in line it started to torrential downpour! This was not very reassuring since I had read before leaving that it had been raining a lot in Florida, for long periods of time, the last couple of weeks...We got on the bus a bit saddened and started on our way to Disney.

As we continued to get closer, I stareted to see little rays of sun coming through the clouds! By the time we passed through the arches the rain had completely stopped and it was a sunny, warm day!

Our first stop on the way to GF was WL. I was very sad since we had stayed at WL in 2010 and it was my favorite resort!

We then went on our way to the contemporary. I wasn't too impressed by the contemporary from the outside. I found it looked really dirty and more like an office building than anything else :confused3

Next was the poly and I was very torn! This is the resort that I had picked to stay at before we decided that it was going to be a surprise. I was jealous watching people getting off the bus and the staff putting leas around their necks :rolleyes:

IMG_0169_zpsc8e3b2cf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Of course, I didn't realize what we were headed for, because our next stop was the Grand Floridian!!

It looked so beautiful as we pulled up! I was actually really excited because when I was about eleven I was crazy obsessed with the show Full House ( I still love it :goodvibes) and I remember the episode where they stayed at the GF! It was cool to walk around and see the places where they filmed in the show!

Outside the hotel:

We walked in the lobby:

It was all soo beautiful!

My mom checked us in and told them about my graduation. They gave me a button (which would give us a lot of confusion throughout the trip, but I'll explain later)

and three buttons for my family to wear (although they never really did...)

Finally we were ready to see our room. My mom got the park view, so we were placed in Big Pine Key building! They showed us where to go and off we went!!

TBC

Ok, I'm not sure if anyone is even actually reading this but I'm sorry at how bad I am at updating! It has been really busy since we got back and I feel like I have 101 things to do! Anyway, I hope there is people out there who are reading!! Either way, I hear talking to yourself is a good thing :rotfl2:

So anyway, we were off to our room after getting all checked in. We were on the fourth floor of Big Pine Lake. It was a great building and was the next building over from the lobby.

Here is some pics (Sorry the only time I remembered to take picks and the room was a mess :eek: )

IMG_0220_zpsd8460675.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0221_zpsa8dbe077.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0225_zps52e2ade8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I didn't get a pic of the bathroom but for whatever reason I just loved it! I remember the first day I just kept saying, "I love this bathrrom!" I'm an odd one :rotfl:

Obligatory Mickey head towel:

IMG_0206_zps71ec8b8b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0217_zps2358fef7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This was my bed and it was actually sooo comfy!! My family agreed that it was even better than the big beds! It was cool because you just pulled it down from the top to make it a bed. Better than having to move all the cushions!

IMG_0222_zps13f2cfa9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And the best part.....our view!!

IMG_0162_zpsf485f02e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0161_zps17919913.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It was magical!! I couldn't wait to watch the fireworks from the balcony!!

Once we got situated and changed from the plane clothes, we decided to head down to the pool and relax before our reservation in Downtown Disney at the Rainforest Cafe!

Mom and Dad went to get a drink at the pool bar and me and Ryan decided to go get our refillable cups and explore the resort a bit.

IMG_1153_zps43d0efd2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1154_zpsd654a5f5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF0079_zpsbae85831.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF0081_zpsad5d2f09.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF0096_zps0d02de3b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF0097_zpse0272407.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF0086_zpsfe301177.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF0090_zpsc7e5d9c7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

we went back to the pool and ordered a snack of chicken and fries! I have been waiting over a year to be reunited with this lovely meal! I swear Disney has the best chicken and fries ever!!

Soon we headed back up to the room to freshen up and leave for Downtown Disney.

TBC

What an awesome surprise! I LOVE the GF! Great pics. Can't wait to hear more popcorn::

I'm loving your trip report!!!The Grand Floridian is my dream resort :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: I'm excited to read more:cool1:

SO sorry it's been so long!I've been very busy with life!

Anyway, when I left off we were just heading up to our room to get ready to head to downtown Disney for our 8pm reservations at the Rainforest Cafe.

We got back to the room, and this was left inside for my graduation!!

IMG_0163_zpsa1a7ed5d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I loved the GF balloons and wished I could take them home...

IMG_0165_zpscae70f7e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0164_zps838c5f3e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

They spelled my name wrong but that's ok :thumbsup2

So we freshened up and got on the bus for DD. We got there and it was sooo busy! I swear it was busier there than at any of the parks!

We looked around a bit, but the stores were all so crowded so we sat down and had a drink while we waited for our reservation.

It was finally time to go in and they were apparently behind so we got a buzzer and looked around the gift shop.

We were seated about an hour later and ordered. We were all so tired and I never even took any pictures. We all decided that next time we would not make a reservation for the first day because we are too tired to enjoy it. I did however love the theming of the restaurant and would love to go back when we were more awake!!

Here is the two pics I got, and they're blurry...

IMG_0170_zpsa0295998.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0171_zpsd6356209.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After eating we decided to head back for an early(ish) night.

On the way back we saw wishes starting and I had wished we would have made it back to our room sooner! But I was not worried, I had a whole week to watch them!

We got back, watched the electric parade, and went to bed.

Tomorrow we were off to my favourite park, Magic Kingdom!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter