Sunscreen

mamateacher

Mouseketeer
I have very sensitive skin and I read that mineral sunscreen is best. What sunscreen do you all use?

My red-head wife with very sensitive skin uses the Baby Bum mineral sunscreen face stick (on her face). She's able to tolerate a regular sun screen for her arms and legs.

I use Block Island Organics. I have used it in Hawaii and never got burned, however, I like to apply it fairly often if swimming or sweating and it does turn your skin whiteish if you apply too much at one time so you have to apply in small doses but it works very well.

I don’t know if you have the invisible zinc brand in USA but I like that one for sensitive skin. More zinc as a physical sunscreen rather than the chemical actives is often recommended for sensitive skin. Look at the ingredients of sunscreens you react to. I’ve managed to identify a couple of the active ingredients that make my skin itch and usually do better with brands that don’t contain those ingredients.

My dermatologist recommends Elta MD sunscreen. It’s really nice, light and not greasy at all, but it’s expensive.

I love Paula’s Choice sunscreen for my face. I use the Resist Daily Wrinkle Defense every single day. For Disney I am using the SuperGoop CC cream as makeup.

This was just recommended in an article I was reading. Where do you purchase it?
They sell it at my dermatologist’s office. I think you can also buy it online. I did a quick google and it looks like the “authorized retailers” are physicians’ offices but I saw it on Amazon too.

I’ve been researching for a new sunscreen for a while now. La-Roche Posay Anthelius keep popping up. Just saw it in a Consumer Reports magazine. I’m going to give this a try for our next trip.

I have extremely sensitive skin. In the sun I COVER UP WITH CLOTHING whenever possible, including hats, gloves, and sun protective clothing and swimwear when getting anything beyond fairly short exposure. This leaves very little skin needing sunscreen and is MUCH cooler/more comfortable.

My sunscreen criteria are: Mineral sunscreen with no chemical sunscreens. EWG rating of 1 (preferred) or 2. For brands that have it, National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance for a product. No allergen botanical ingredients. No fragrance. None of my food allergens [milk, peanut, tree nuts, seafood; also coffee -- usually this means no milk, peanut oils, tree nut oils, coffee]. This creates a short list.

Then I go for what doesn't irritate my skin, first while wearing it indoors, then actually in the sun [some are ok indoors but not in the sun, though more so with chemical sunscreens]. Eye irritant or not is important because invariably you sweat and some ends up in your eyes.

EWG's 2019 guide to sunscreens will be informative: https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/

My preferred choices:

Blue Lizard mineral suncreens [check, some have chemical sunscreen too]

Vanicream mineral sunscreen [check, they also have a chemical sunscreen]

Neutrogena sunscreens that are EWG 1 or 2 AND are NEA SOA [there are 4 specific ones].

SW

We use the spray sunscreen from the drug store. Please--don't be the douche that sprays it in the middle of a crowd. It's horrible for the lungs of small children and those with respiratory conditions. We saw so many people on our most recent trip that were spraying it while in a crowd.
Find a place away from people to apply it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter