Sun pass question?

Disneyfan.UK121

Mouseketeer
Hi guys.

We are renting a car for 21 days soon and we will be doing a bit of travelling around.

We ideally don't want to use the sun pass on the hire car as daily charges will probably outweigh the cost of tolls.

I know we can purchase a sun pass from quite a few places once in Orlando.

Do any of you know of an app that we can use to get us from the airport to Orlando before we get the portable pass?

Once a licence tag hadls been assigned can it be changed? Just so we could use it for future trips ( plus so we don't get billed for others use of the car once we have given it back!)

Any tips anyone could give?

Plus, Best places to get the portable sun pass from?

We don't have any change this time only notes and correct me if I'm wrong but these tolls don't take notes do they? We will be travelling late 10pm so probably won't be manned.

We are arriving into Orlando international airport. Staying just outside Disney property.

Thank you.

The Manned Cash toll booths are open 24 hours .

CASH Change will be given from large notes ( $ 20 )

Will you be using the Turnpike to Miami ...... If yes then you will need SunPass .

If you are staying Away from Turnpike & are NOT going into Tampa or Miami

Then NO Need for Sunpass

If you are using Hwy 27 Hwy 192 Or Hwy I-4 going around & North of Orlando

Then No need for Sun Pass just use CASH Lanes

The Manned Cash toll booths are open 24 hours .

CASH Change will be given from large notes ( $ 20 )

Will you be using the Turnpike to Miami ...... If yes then you will need SunPass .

If you are staying Away from Turnpike & are NOT going into Tampa or Miami

Then NO Need for Sunpass

If you are using Hwy 27 Hwy 192 Or Hwy I-4 going around & North of Orlando

Then No need for Sun Pass just use CASH Lanes

I completely agree with this advice. We have travelled everywhere in Florida, from the Keys to the West and East Coasts, up to Jacksonville, down to Vero Beach. You really don't need to have Sun Pass, although I understand if you want to get one for the convenience.

However, as Woodview stated, there is no need for a toll pass to get you from the airport to Orlando. There are only two toll booths and they are fully manned and give change

On top of the cash lanes advice, just be aware of what your rental company charges for tolls

for example, Alamo will charge $3.95 per 24hrs periods where you incur a toll (+ toll)
so if you only use the tolls to and from MCO on arrival and departure day, you'll pay $7.9 + the tolls themselves. It's already cheaper than the sunpass transponder (and you won't pay anything except for the tolls themselves if you use the cash lanes)
it's capped a $19.75 per rental period, so it's under the $19.99 for the sunpass transponder

avis will charge you a fee of $19.75 per rental period for the toll scheme (+ the tolls you actually use of course)

you only need to be wary of *dodgy* agencies such as Dollar, that will charge you over $50 per week but for that price, the tolls are included ... (still a rip off)

but also remember that buying a sunpass transponder does not garantee you won't be paying rental agency fees.
In the event your sunpass transponder fails to register on a toll, you'll get charged by the rental agency, as Florida uses a toll by plate system.

Finally, let me just add that avoiding the tolls from or to MCO can be done, but it's a major pain for the couple of quids you'd be saving.

all you need to know about the toll fees
https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Fantastic advice Thank you all.

We will just be driving from Orlando international to accommodation near Disney. So I think we will just use cash after reading all your advice

Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter