• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Summer Help!!!

isyt

DIS Veteran
My family is debating a quick weekend getaway in March or a long California vacation in the summer. I know March would be better crowd wise but I am really scared about the summer crowds. I have been to WDW many times and can manipulate the summer crowds but I am not so familiar with DL. A long weekend in March would be nice but 2 weeks could be great. Can someone please help me??????????

I'd say that depends on how "motivated" your family is. My family was unmotivated on our recent 3-day trip to DL and it about drove me nuts! I was trying to go at a relaxing pace as opposed to commando touring, but it ended up much more like a snail's pace. As it turns out, three days isn't enough for my family to see/do everything--or even a big chunk of everything! For us, a long weekend is absolutely OUT OF THE QUESTION :rolleyes: --but that's us. YMMV (your mileage may vary)

In a similar situation, I'd opt for a more leisurely 2 weeks, even if the DL/DCA is only a small part of that 2 weeks. I might fly in and out of SNA (John Wayne/Orange County) so that I could bookend my trip with DL days with touring other CA stuff in the middle.

Hmmmmm. . . wonder if I could talk DH into that one, now that you brought up the idea. . . :earboy2:

Happy planning!

isyt said:
My family is debating a quick weekend getaway in March or a long California vacation in the summer. I know March would be better crowd wise but I am really scared about the summer crowds. I have been to WDW many times and can manipulate the summer crowds but I am not so familiar with DL. A long weekend in March would be nice but 2 weeks could be great. Can someone please help me??????????
The thing about DL is that weekends are always crowded, too, because the locals use the park so regularly. If you can manage the summer crowds at WDW, you'll do fine here, too. Just get the Unofficial Guide, follow the touring plans religiously, and MAKE SURE TO GET TO THE PARKS EARLY every morning. Just like at WDW, the crowds pick up around 10 or 11 am when people stumble out of bed.

The advantage to summer is that more stuff is open, more shows are available, and the hours are better. You'll find the weather easier to take than summer at WDW, because it's not humid.

Always keep in mind, though, that since (unlike WDW) the locals GO to the parks here and that evenings, weekends and late afternoons will fill up considerably--particularly with teenagers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should go in the summer and take your time! :rotfl:

Thanks guys , we do go commando and always hit the parks at opening. So maybe we will be ok. Now if I can only get the airfare!!!

Just a quick comment - we went in July a few years back for 4 days expecting to be overwhelmed by crowds. It was busier than the fall, but really - with the longer hours, all the rides open, more shows, etc - the crowds really didn't bother us much (and my DH HATES crowds). If you have the extra day or two - the crowds really aren't a factor and you'll still be able to see what's you'd like. I always say low season is usually better - but not on a weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter