Summer crowds comparable to week after Christmas?

nvrenoughdisney

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

My family visits Disney annually but we've never tried Universal. We will be in Florida for Christmas so I'm considering planning a trip to Universal arriving on 12/31 and staying for approximately 4 nights (but we're flexible here). We would probably get a 4 day park-park pass. I know the holidays are one of the busiest times of the year so I'm trying to get an idea of what the week after Christmas would be like. Touring plans seems to rate it similarly to summer, if not a bit slower. The deluxe hotels are extremely expensive that week but I'm thinking the express pass would probably be needed, that is why I was wondering if the wait times this summer would be similar to what we would see the first week of January.

If it helps, we are a family of 5, kids are ages 14, 12, and 7. As far as touring, we like to get up early and do as much as we can before lunch. We always leave around lunchtime and will often return at night (depending on the hours). We also like walking and hate taking shuttles/buses so the proximity of the deluxe hotels is extremely appealing. So, basically I'm looking for any advice in terms of crowds, express pass, etc. RPR seems to be the least expensive deluxe that week but it is still over $400 a night. We are DVC members so paying out of pocket for a hotel always hurts! Sorry for the long-winded post and thanks in advance!

i would book now if you are comfortable with the rate as prices will increase the closer to that date.

if prices drop, you can always modify your rate by phone.

you can cancel 6 days out before check in day with no penalities.

if you want to secure universal lodging now, do so and keep checking for rate drops.

if you wait until mid november to book new years eve at universal, no idea if rooms will be available or if the price will increase.

nye rates are always high.
rates will come down in first week of january.

when i do winter trips to the darkside usually start about jan 4th or weekday closest to it due to rate drops

I was in the parks on December 30th this past year and they were much, much worse than summer. Yes, go with a hotel that has express. I haven't checked the school calendar to see when the crowds drop off this year. You could have a significant drop in crowds during your stay. (From post-Christmas insanity to summer-like crowds or even lower if your dates are flexible and you go slightly later).

There is no comparison...holiday crowds are far worse than any week in the summer. Come prepared for long lines for everything...even the bathrooms!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!