Suggestions to ride Avatar's Flights of Passage at AK?

living on the edge with the 2-3 min. before park close! :) not bad wait times. Did you run over from RoL, and did you notice the posted times being much higher than actual each day?

I mean, its not like we ran from the other side of the park. We got into Pandora 15-20 minutes prior to close, grabbed a drink, and found a bench to relax on until 2-3 minutes before. We probably ended up in the same show as the people that got in line 15-20 minutes prior, but we sat and relaxed while they stood in line. They close the line exactly on time, so as long as you have a smart phone and are nearby you really run zero risk of missing out.

I mean, its not like we ran from the other side of the park. We got into Pandora 15-20 minutes prior to close, grabbed a drink, and found a bench to relax on until 2-3 minutes before. We probably ended up in the same show as the people that got in line 15-20 minutes prior, but we sat and relaxed while they stood in line. They close the line exactly on time, so as long as you have a smart phone and are nearby you really run zero risk of missing out.
the last time we did FoP at close, we had to scurry a bit from RoL. I think it was posted 75 and was actually 45, which I was content w/. I think many people are better off going on FoP right at the end of night vs. rope drop.

But for us, I wish we attended AK at night more, but we tend to end at either MK or HS because these parks are open later than AK during our stay and most of my favorite attractions and finishing shows (i.e HEA) are more at HS/MK. But I do like going on Everest, and even Kali/Safari when it's dark. Getting completely wet at night, without the sun to dry off quickly - maybe not, but typically that's only about 1 in 5 rides for me.

Unless you have something else in mind for that time slot, I would say go at night.
You are waiting in line after the park closes (not using park time) and if its dark out, you get the whole Pandora at night thing.

Just be aware, at least in my experience, Disney is strict with that park close time and getting on line.

I would also try to finish your fast passes on the early side, and constantly check MDE to try to add it (if you have not used in on Navi River)

Thanks to all for your input and recommendations.

I'm considering both options ( at the beginning of the day when the park opens and at the end of the day ).

The park is set to open at 9am on the day that we plan to go there ( with no Extra Magic Hours or anything ).If we get to the park itself by 8:15am ( which means leaving POR by 7:30am-ish ) and then wait in line at Rope Drop, should that be good enough where we can make our way to Pandora and then not have wait for too long in line for FoP?

The park is going to close at 10pm. I'm trying to understand when they will likely start cutting people off from get in line. Like if the standby wait time is 90 minutes, will they stop people from getting in line at 8:30pm? or will they let people stay in line until 9:59pm?

Thanks to all for your input and recommendations.

I'm considering both options ( at the beginning of the day when the park opens and at the end of the day ).

The park is set to open at 9am on the day that we plan to go there ( with no Extra Magic Hours or anything ).If we get to the park itself by 8:15am ( which means leaving POR by 7:30am-ish ) and then wait in line at Rope Drop, should that be good enough where we can make our way to Pandora and then not have wait for too long in line for FoP?

The park is going to close at 10pm. I'm trying to understand when they will likely start cutting people off from get in line. Like if the standby wait time is 90 minutes, will they stop people from getting in line at 8:30pm? or will they let people stay in line until 9:59pm?

If you're waiting for the buses at something like 7:15, hoping to catch a 7:30 bus out, it seems like you could expect to be at the taps something closer to 8 am. Someone quick in your party without a bag can beeline for the shortest line at the taps while others go through bag check. I'd try to aim for a little earlier, even if it's just 10 minutes, but that's just what we like to do personally.

10pm close for AK sounds nice. Goofydad replied to you that he entered the FoP line 2-3 min before park close. I I've read that CMs can close the line early if it's really busy and feel the need, but I haven't experienced it myself, and sort of doubt that they would close it much earlier than park close, if at all. Back when the ride was newer, I've read that they closed the line a few min early: but here Josh at easywdw entered with only 2 min before park close, and the line closed 3 people behind him, even back in early 2018:
https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/f...and-pandora-update-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/
I'd think being in Pandora to walk around and take photos about 20-25 min before park close, and entering line at about 9:45-9:50 would be the safe play. They let you wait in line while the park is closed as long as you're in line.

We went during Spring Break and got in line right before close. Since the Fastpass time was about up, the line moved quickly and we were through it in less than half an hour.

The line closes when the park closes, so at precisely 10pm they will shut the line. Anyone already in line will be permitted to ride regardless of how long it takes to get through the line.

I’m personally a rope dropper, and I despise the heat, but we were fine last year at open in June; the sun wasn’t really direct except in one small area at the bridge.

We’ve enjoyed rides at closing as well, but my usual word of caution is this....things happen. I wouldn’t save that strategy for the end of a trip. I like to give myself leeway for another try later in the trip in case something I really want to do goes down or gets cancelled.

I thought Avatar was stupid but loved the land, the ride, and Satuli, so have fun!!!

We got in line just before closing time one evening last June. The posted wait was 110 minutes but we were in the first preshow in 17 minutes.

This strategy is usually more efficient than rope drop.

I’m personally a rope dropper, and I despise the heat, but we were fine last year at open in June; the sun wasn’t really direct except in one small area at the bridge.

We’ve enjoyed rides at closing as well, but my usual word of caution is this....things happen. I wouldn’t save that strategy for the end of a trip. I like to give myself leeway for another try later in the trip in case something I really want to do goes down or gets cancelled.

I thought Avatar was stupid but loved the land, the ride, and Satuli, so have fun!!!

I enjoyed Avatar the movie, I think my first in 3D. But I keep hearing a lot of people chiming that they disliked the film but enjoy the ride/land. Hopefully the sequel will be good. I was surprised when the news first broke out about the decision for AK expanding with Pandora, and how successful it became. I'm also surprised that even with the re-release w/ other scenes, I think Avengers End Game has still not taken out Avatar for the global top grossing film slot. Would have thought after that 1st week it was going to crush it.

We're definitely rope droppers too. It does makes sense to go at park close... we personally, just can't seem to make it happen that often. Always at MK or HS at night for the finishing shows. The last ride strategy works for most any ride... but it seems like we always strike out with trying it at 7DMT. We don't even try any more, and always go on it early.

The last ride strategy works for most any ride... but it seems like we always strike out with trying it at 7DMT. We don't even try any more, and always go on it early.

That’s odd. We’ve ridden 7D using the “last minute” strategy many times, and the longest we’ve ever waited was 20 minutes during opening week in 2014. Every wait since then has been about 10 minutes or so.

Most guest see the inflated wait time and just turn around and leave.

That’s odd. We’ve ridden 7D using the “last minute” strategy many times, and the longest we’ve ever waited was 20 minutes during opening week in 2014. Every wait since then has been about 10 minutes or so.

Most guest see the inflated wait time and just turn around and leave.
Well maybe we’ll try it again. Have the posted wait times been inflated for 7DMT recently? I don’t really recall my wait times late much less than 45 typically, which is why we tend to go to Space. It’s posted 60 min now less than 10 min before close.

Well maybe we’ll try it again. Have the posted wait times been inflated for 7DMT recently? I don’t really recall my wait times late much less than 45 typically, which is why we tend to go to Space. It’s posted 60 min now less than 10 min before close.

They’ve been doing this for years. We first read about the intentionally inflated evening wait times in the 1999 Unofficial Guide so it’s nothing new.

We often find the posted wait to be about 4x the actual wait later in the evening on most of the headliners.

My understanding of the wait times for FOP is that they build immediately upon park opening and stay steady all day. Unless you are near the front of the pack at opening you are looking at a long wait.

One option is to get in line close to park closing. That way you aren't wasting valuable park time in line for the ride. You are however, shortening the time you have to sleep. This may not work if you also want to see Rivers of Light.

Another option is to ride in the afternoon, after using the morning to take advantage of shorter lines at the other attractions. One thing to worry about here is seeing the shows - both the Lion King show and the Nemo show only run in the afternoon (I think one opens at 11 AM), so maybe see those before getting in line for FOP.

So the day we are planning on going to AK is EMM. Opens at 7:00 am. We are not early morning people but are going to try and get there. So let's say we get there at 7:00 a.m. what are we in for. I understand the fury on mornings at rope drop when everyone is there at the same time but for this it is the Disney resort people right? Is it still massive crowds?

Also, please forgive me but what are taps? the other posts stated staying to the right to get in the shorter taps. What is that?! Still trying to learn all these terms:D

So the day we are planning on going to AK is EMM. Opens at 7:00 am. We are not early morning people but are going to try and get there. So let's say we get there at 7:00 a.m. what are we in for. I understand the fury on mornings at rope drop when everyone is there at the same time but for this it is the Disney resort people right? Is it still massive crowds?

Also, please forgive me but what are taps? the other posts stated staying to the right to get in the shorter taps. What is that?! Still trying to learn all these terms:D
People refer to taps for tapstiles, or turnstiles for the gate entrance where you scan your ticket/magic band to enter the park.

You’re lucky to have such early hrs. We’ve always either had a 9am regular open or 8am emh and have not had a 7am open at AK but for comparison, when we’re off our first ride on FoP and it’s about park open time, posted times are typically 60-90min. Actual wait times likely less near park opening time. The line is to the bridge to Africa, a lot of people, but it’s moving. We’re sometimes tempted to go back in standby when it’s 60, guessing it to be less and before it hits 2-3 hrs. But we never do because we have a FP to go a second time that day. I haven't been there for 7am, maybe someone else can chime in. Not sure if the 7am openings have been going on or not yet. I would like to know how early they let you in for a 7am.

I'm not sure if someone mentioned staying right at the taps on this thread.... you'd simply choose the shortest line to enter. If you're instead referring to staying to the right at rope drop... this only applies if you're among the 1st group of people, the crowd at rope drop is probably like a dozen people wide to start. They veer FoP people to the right at a road split and straight for people going to River Journey. But they also wrap you around - a right to left loop - near the queue entrance and the right side of the line has the 1st access to the queue entrance. The people on the far left, at the front of the herd, can find themselves scrambling to get to the right side behind dozens of people pouring through.

Last edited:
Here's my n=1 experience from the trip I just got back from - 7/4-7/7. Keep in mind I was a solo traveler.

Had one prebooked FP for Saturday that I got at 60+2.

On Friday I was in the MK. Early afternoon, maybe just after lunch time I went on the app and did a bunch of refreshing and snagged a FoP FP for I think around 3ish? Hopped over rode FoP, refreshed and got a safari FP, while in that FP line refreshed and got another FoP fp. Additionally, for the rest of the evening I got another FP for Safari, 2 for Naavi, and 1 for EE.

Saturday I used my pre-booked FoP FP in the afternoon (other 2 pre-booked were EE and KS in the am), and was able to snag another one later in the afternoon. I also got on the standby line at 9:58 (park closing at 10pm). Posted wait time was 90 min but it took me exactly 25 min to get into the first pre-show room. During the afternoon I also used refresh to get another 2x for Safari and 2x for Naavi, and also got a walk-up for the Caring for Giants tour at 3:30 which ended up being a private tour and super awesome (elephants were so active!)!

Sunday I did all same-day FP's at AK, and managed to snag one last FP for early afternoon before I had to leave for Magical Express. Also snagged 1x Safari and 1x Naavi (this was after using a pre-booked FP for TSMM @HS that am).

In case you can't tell, I love AK, lol. As always, YMMV

Here's my n=1 experience from the trip I just got back from - 7/4-7/7. Keep in mind I was a solo traveler.

Had one prebooked FP for Saturday that I got at 60+2.

On Friday I was in the MK. Early afternoon, maybe just after lunch time I went on the app and did a bunch of refreshing and snagged a FoP FP for I think around 3ish? Hopped over rode FoP, refreshed and got a safari FP, while in that FP line refreshed and got another FoP fp. Additionally, for the rest of the evening I got another FP for Safari, 2 for Naavi, and 1 for EE.

Saturday I used my pre-booked FoP FP in the afternoon (other 2 pre-booked were EE and KS in the am), and was able to snag another one later in the afternoon. I also got on the standby line at 9:58 (park closing at 10pm). Posted wait time was 90 min but it took me exactly 25 min to get into the first pre-show room. During the afternoon I also used refresh to get another 2x for Safari and 2x for Naavi, and also got a walk-up for the Caring for Giants tour at 3:30 which ended up being a private tour and super awesome (elephants were so active!)!

Sunday I did all same-day FP's at AK, and managed to snag one last FP for early afternoon before I had to leave for Magical Express. Also snagged 1x Safari and 1x Naavi (this was after using a pre-booked FP for TSMM @HS that am).

In case you can't tell, I love AK, lol. As always, YMMV
Dang, that's a lot of SDFPs to FoP! How often do you refresh - pretty much every SB line? Do you use the app and click the hours or the web version?

Dang, that's a lot of SDFPs to FoP! How often do you refresh - pretty much every SB line? Do you use the app and click the hours or the web version?

Pretty much every FP line, or as I'm walking (carefully, lol) between locations. I don't think I actually waited in any standby lines on my trip, unless it was for something that doesn't offer FP. I 99% of the time used the app and just tapped the hours, I think maybe once or twice I popped onto the website when the app was having a momentary glitch. I think maybe the longest it took refreshing to get a FoP FP was maybe 10-15 min? Sometimes it took a couple sessions of refreshing, as I was waiting for other things. But, it was always while I was already waiting for something else, never just standing wasting time staring at the app. And, I am happy to report that the super majority of the trip I had zero issues with the app!

Pretty much every FP line, or as I'm walking (carefully, lol) between locations. I don't think I actually waited in any standby lines on my trip, unless it was for something that doesn't offer FP. I 99% of the time used the app and just tapped the hours, I think maybe once or twice I popped onto the website when the app was having a momentary glitch. I think maybe the longest it took refreshing to get a FoP FP was maybe 10-15 min? Sometimes it took a couple sessions of refreshing, as I was waiting for other things. But, it was always while I was already waiting for something else, never just standing wasting time staring at the app. And, I am happy to report that the super majority of the trip I had zero issues with the app!

that's crazy. Given your style, you must always pre book FPs for am and then be willing to hop anywhere. If we're going to EP 1st (usually once per trip) and MK 2nd, we have trouble not picking 3 for afternoon at MK in advance rather than 3 (or one tier1) at EP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter