Suggestions for upcoming engagement--help please

constanze

DIS Veteran
You all have helped me for many, many years to plan the perfect WDW vacations---now I need your assistance once again---teach me obi wan's---My DS who loves WDW as much as I do, is planning to propose to his girlfriend on a trip we're doing next summer. Any ideas on how to make this extra special? I was thinking one of the special tours? Any creative ideas, suggestions or assistance would be much appreciated. Pressure is on---he said that I've always planned the most special WDW family trips, that he couldn't think of anyone else to turn to for this special night---so I'm immediately turning to y'all:)

1> Victoria and Alberts dinner with the Ring (in prior arrangement with your server) in the Champagne glass at the end.

2> Dessert party and then presenting the ring when the fireworks start.

1> Victoria and Alberts dinner with the Ring (in prior arrangement with your server) in the Champagne glass at the end.

2> Dessert party and then presenting the ring when the fireworks start.
Thank you! I thought about the dessert party---we usually do that on the last night of our stay. I haven't been to Victoria and Alberts, but everyone said it's amazing.

If he goes with the dessert party, I would consider doing it earlier in the trip so that the trip can be a celebration. I ended up changing plans while we were down there because I decided I couldn't wait until our last day. If she has a favorite show or ride or character he could incorporate that in some way. I know a lot of people do it during a character meet and greet so that a photographer is available.

I proposed at my Fiancee's favorite resort, the Grand Floridian in July. I made a reservation at the Grand Floridian Cafe and also preordered the Cinderella Chocolate Slipper dessert with "will you marry me" written in chocolate. The staff made it so special when they delivered it to our table and the whole restaurant cheered and applauded. She was so surprised and shocked. I would have him propose on the first day so there is not any building up of anxiety and so the trip can be a celebration from the start.

If you are going to MNSSHP, there is a lightly traveled magic shot with the Hitchhiking Ghost on a staircase with a nice background over by Liberty square which no one will be in. It's right by the gazebo that Jack and Sally used to be in. Walk across the Adventure Land bridge from the hub and then turn right before you enter Adventure Land and head towards Liberty Square, turn left when you see the gazebo and there you are.
As a Haunted Mansion fan, that would be perfect IMO. How cool would it be to have the Hitchhiking Ghost in your proposal? ha Magic shot, nice background and no people in the pictures!

Most important thing is to start with what she loves about Disney or what represents them as a couple. Where were the special memories made? Are there stories about getting stuck together on a ride, or their first night alone as a couple at a Disney hotel, a special dinner they had?
A proposal should be made to measure. If she is an introverted person, don't go for a public proposal on Main Street right before parade or fireworks, etc. If her favourite part about Disney is the parade, go there.

Just something to consider:
As this is a family vacation, let him think carefully about to propose when they are alone, or when the rest of the family is there. It depends on her and the family dynamics what would work better.
Also, will her side of the family will join this vacation as well? If not, please let your son think if this is a good idea: Again family dynamics. Depending on her relationship with her parents, the relationship between her parents, your son and you, she can be put in an awkward position if the first person to congratulate her is not her mother but her mother-in-law-to-be.
Proposals and weddings are weird things that come with a lot of emotions you can't always predict.

Oh gosh, there have been some amazing tidbits here that I never would’ve thought of! OP, you totally came to the right place!!

I just wanted to say even if you do the dessert party, I think you could possibly talk to one of the Main Street Photopass photographers a little beforehand (fake a bathroom visit LOL) and they could probably send someone over. We saw a proposal in the rose garden one night and they’d done that. I kept seeing this PP person lurking around at the back with a camera and finally figured it out. It was pretty neat.

Is there any where that is special to them. A certain ride or location. If so, I'd investigate something in or around that. Our daughter got engaged at MK in August and for her she loves Cinderella's castle. Her fiance wanted to do it during the fireworks while the Disney photographers were doing photos and asked if we would help him plan it. After making some calls, we found out we would have to wait till we got to the park to make any sort of arrangements.

When we got to the park, we went to guest relations and were sent to talk to the Photopass guest relations in the Town Square Theater. We talked to attendant at the counter and he let us know that they don't take pictures during the fireworks, they stop about 45 minutes before and resume about 45 minutes after. I guess he could see the defeat in our faces and said for us to hang on a sec. He spoke to his supervisor, she said to get our number and she would see what she could work out. After some texting back and forth we ended up having our own personal Disney photographer through the entire fireworks show. She approached us under the guise of testing the camera settings to start taking pictures during the fireworks and asked if we’d like to be the test family. It was AMAZING. The pictures were amazing the supervisor was amazing and the photographer was amazing. If he has an idea and isn't sure it could work out, it is worth it to at least ask about it.

The only thing I can really think of is when my husband and had a date night at Magic Kingdom After Hours, we were able to get some amazing photos of just the two of us with castle in the background, from different angles. Because it wasn't crowded, there wasn't anyone else in the photos.

My brother got engaged at 9 Dragons several years ago. He had fortune cookies made up that said "Will You Marry Me" for the fortune inside. He worked with the servers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!