Suggestions for Sept 2020 first trip

Kimber

Mouseketeer
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. We are plann8ng first trip to Aulani Sept 2020. We are thinking 2-3 nights in Waikiki then 7-9 nights Aulani.

We are also planning on a rental car for sure. Would 2 days be enough for Pearl Harbor and diamond head then relax at aulani?

Also, coming from Pittsburgh and wondering about airfare. We were thinking of doing a package with the 2-3 nights at beginning and car. We would also really like comfort plus type seats, at best prices possible. We we do better to do a package or book everything ala cart? Is it best to book air (or package without aulani) as soon as air comes out. We would not be able to book aulani with our points 7 til feb, but I am thinking we should get air ASAP when it comes out in October?

We flew from Buffalo in September 2016 for our honeymoon. Our dates were non-negotiable and we knew we'd be staying at Aulani, even if we couldn't book with points. So we booked our flights in November, just a few weeks after they were released, because we were in the midst of wedding planning and wanted everything done. As it turned out, our flight prices only increased after that so it worked out well and I would do it the same way again. However, you should wait if there's a chance your dates need to change depending on DVC availability.

We flew Delta from Buffalo to Atlanta to Honolulu. It was an Airbus 330 plane with a 2-4-2 seat configuration. They did have Comfort+ seats available, but it was cost prohibitive for us so we flew standard coach. We couldn't have been happier with it. Having the row of 2 seats allowed us to be comfortable in our own row. The flight included free hot meals and alcohol for ALL fare classes. Every seat had its own TV with tons of free movies, music, TV shows and games. We would definitely choose this flight again in regular coach. All the Comfort+ seats gained was a seat more towards the front of the plane with a few extra inches of leg room.

We booked through a travel agent with the exception of the Aulani points. The flight price was the same whether we did a packaged deal or booked on its own. I don't think there are big swings in price differences. A package would allow you to make a deposit with a big final payment at the end so everything is paid in advance, but cancellations or changes would be trickier. Booking a la carte gives you more flexibility, but some things may need full pre-payment. It just depends.

We also stayed 3 nights in Waikiki and 6 nights at Aulani, with island hopping in between. We took a taxi to our Waikiki hotel, and when we came back to stay at Aulani, we got our rental car then. The car was not needed in Waikiki because we opted to do organized tours for Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head, and we also were able to avoid traffic and parking fees/hassles in Waikiki. I definitely recommend doing both Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head during Waikiki because neither are far and they are both best done early in the morning. You'll be up quite early adjusting to the time difference the first few days, so this worked out well for us. We enjoyed the organized tour to Diamond Head because we were dropped off at the very start of the trail, which was good because parking can be a challenge there and you may have to walk a ways before even getting to the start. Took us about two hours to do the whole thing so we had the whole afternoon free. But, we were sweaty messes in workout clothes so we needed to go back to our room to shower and change before doing anything else. With Pearl Harbor, the tour facilitated getting our Arizona tour tickets for us so we didn't have to worry about that. A day would be more than enough time for Pearl Harbor.

Thanks so much for your input. We were just thinking package so we could have the travel insurance in case anything would happen and need to cancel.

For aulani, we are gonna just hope it works out and be very flexible to book right at 7 months and be open too studio or one bedroom any view available.

We are hoping comfort plus feasible as we are both very tall and those few inches would help, but if not we will survive coach I am sure, just want to get there happy if possible.

Thanks so much for the input on booking tours, I think that is the way we will go for sure.

Where did you stay in Waikiki? Still looking to those choices.

This will be for out 25th anniversary, anything special at aulani you would recommend to celebrate.

Thanks so much for your input. I can plan WDW in my sleep, but this is over whelming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter