suggestions for GAC for Autistic son

3kidsmommy

Mouseketeer
We will finally be getting to go to Disney in April of 2006, staying at the Campground. My 7 year old son has autism, adhd, mental retardation, and sensory integration dysfunction. Additionally, he has a special stroller that is like a wheelchair, only a bit more comfy (it is a durable medical equipment stroller--has a 5 point harness which is safer than a wheelchair for my son due to low muscle tone and those oh so nice tantrums!). I know that being in a cue line will send him into fits and we will have to use the stroller as a wheelchair (although he is certainly capable of walking some of the time, he just can't for extended periods of time). What do I need to be certain his GAC addresses. We dont' mind waiting, but really can't do so in a line with a zillion other people around. We could easily wait the prescribed time in another place. Suggestions?

Yes, a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) would be useful for him.
Here's a summary of information about GACs:
  • Take your son to Guest Services in any of the parks and talk to the CM there about his problems and needs. The diagnosis is not really that important because people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs. The GAC is not given based on diagnosis at all (for example, there is not a "list" of appropriate diagnosis for a GAC); the GAC is given based on needs and the accomidations that meet those needs. In the case of Autism Spectrum disorders, the CMs are pretty aware of what needs might go along with that diagnosis, so that is one case where the diagnosis is useful to the CMs.
    The GAC is usually given for up to 6 people (5 plus the perrson with a disability) and is valid at all the parks for your length of stay (you don't need to get a new one at each theme park).
    A few other things
  • the GAC is not meant to be a pass that gives immediate access. In fact, about 6 years ago, they renamed it to Card because when it was called a Pass, people thought it mean front of the line access. It says right on the card that it is not meant to not shorten or eliminate waits in line.
  • it is meant as a tool to tell the CMs what the person's needs are so that they can provide appropriate accomidation for the person it was issued to. Some examples of accomidations might be a quieter place to wait, a place out of the sun (for those times when the line is in the sun for a prolonged period of time).
  • you can request a GAC that says you can use a stroller as a wheelchair. This means you could bring the stroller into lines and have it treated just like a wheelchair. Sometimes the CMs don't recognize that the special needs strollers are not just strollers. So someone with a special needs stroller should probably get a GAC (it may not be necessary, but it's better to have the GAC that says you can use it).
  • because what is stamped on the GAC is based on needs, not all GACs say the same thing.
  • think of the GAC like an insurance card, not necessarily needed or used all the time, but there for when you need it.
  • even on the same attraction, the GAC is not always handled the same each time. Exactly what happens depends on how busy it is, how many other people with special needs are there at the time and staffing. Some times you may be sent thru the regular standby line, occassionally the fastpass line; sometimes the person with the GAC and a member of their party will be given an alternate place to wait while the rest of the party goes thru the standby line - and then meet up with them when they get to the front. Sometimes you might be given a slip and told you can come back at the time written on the slip (usually equal to the standby time); very occassionally, you might be taken right in. It depends on what they call "attraction considerations" (which is basically the things I listed in the second sentence).
  • Fastpass is a good way to avoid waits in line and if your child needs a lot of consistency in how things work, Fastpass is better than a GAC.
    As I noted above, how the same GAC is handled even at the same attraction can vary. With Fastpass, you know that when you come back to use your Fastpass, you will be getting onto the attraction in 15 minutes or less.
    You don't have to be present to get a fastpass, you can send one member of your party ahead with all the park passes to get fastpasses. That way, your child with autism would not have to be in the ride area until you are actually ready to go on.

Some people have made up PECSor communication boards for the park attractions. There are some pictures on the wdwinfo.com site or you can do a google search for images to find things.

Hi! I'm the Mom of a 6 year old ds with autism. Definitely ask for the GAC, but you may be pleasantly surprised and find that your child doesn't need it all of the time. But it is nice to have on those bad moments. If you are traveling with more than one adult, have the other adult get the fp's while you wait somewhere else with your child. This way your child doesn't see the ride and want to go on now. It helps to prevent a meltdown.
Have a great trip! :)

Tried replying but the board won't let me...said I used URL's--which I didn't! Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the advice.

I was just thinking (which is scarey!!!) make sure you address his issues with crowds because they may just think he has a mobility issue when you go in with the stroller and that would mean that you would have to wait in some ques and you want to be able to wait outside of the line when you need to. You don't have to use the GAC all the time but it is nice to have the one that says you can wait outside of the que if your child has sensory issues if they are having a meltdown!!!! I went when my daughter was 5 and they gave me just the stroller for a wheelchair pass because I was not clear as to what her needs were the first time I went in and it was a nightmare!!! Although things could have changed in 5 years :) Have a wonderful trip!!!!
JenJen

JenJen said:
I was just thinking (which is scarey!!!) make sure you address his issues with crowds because they may just think he has a mobility issue when you go in with the stroller and that would mean that you would have to wait in some ques and you want to be able to wait outside of the line when you need to. You don't have to use the GAC all the time but it is nice to have the one that says you can wait outside of the que if your child has sensory issues if they are having a meltdown!!!! I went when my daughter was 5 and they gave me just the stroller for a wheelchair pass because I was not clear as to what her needs were the first time I went in and it was a nightmare!!! Although things could have changed in 5 years :) Have a wonderful trip!!!!
JenJen
Good points, that's a reason to explain your/your child's needs insteaad of just asking for a specific stamp. They can put more than one stamp on the GAC. If you can explain your needs, chances are better that you will get a GAC that will be helpful.
Also, if you find the GAC you were given doesn't seem to be doing the trick, you can go back and explain again. That happened to us once when DH took DD to get a GAC while I did something else. He got one that allowed us to use the wheelchair entrance - which we could use without a GAC because DD was using a wheelchair. We went back and explained what other needs DD had and got a GAC that was better suited to her needs.

Yes, addressing his sensory issues would be sooo important! Although he does have the stroller for the endurance/poor muscle tone issues, his sensory issues by far are the worst! He does very well waiting usually, just not with a huge crowd. Then we have a meltdown that sounds like WWIII is starting! I think prior to going I will type up a list of his issues to just hand the CM. I also will take his official diagnostic papers...sounds like by using fastpass when possible, etc. that really my family ought to have fun. It has been such a long time since we have been able to enjoy something like this. I made the reservations yesterday and just can't wait!

JenJen said:
I was just thinking (which is scarey!!!) make sure you address his issues with crowds because they may just think he has a mobility issue when you go in with the stroller and that would mean that you would have to wait in some ques and you want to be able to wait outside of the line when you need to.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Yep. My ten year old (Aspergers, SID, low muscle tone) uses a special needs stroller but also needs the separate waiting area at times. We get two stamps which address both.

disneymom2one said:
Yep. My ten year old (Aspergers, SID, low muscle tone) uses a special needs stroller but also needs the separate waiting area at times. We get two stamps which address both.
Yes, they can put 2 stamps on the same GAC card.
One other thing to keep in mind is that just because you have a card that says they are to provide something does not mean every attraction can provide it (ie, some don't have a separate waiting place).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter