Suggestions for a healthy breakfast

lisah0711

♥ her Disney office
I am stuck in a breakfast rut! :lmao: Every morning I have the same thing for breakfast -- a bagel with 1 T whipped cream cheese -- 6 WW points and either a 3 point yogurt or a skinny hazelnut latte 3 points. Don't get me wrong, I actually like this breakfast or I wouldn't eat it day after day after day.

But I am a bit stuck in my weight loss and need some ideas for alternatives that won't leave me starving at 9:30 a.m.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome!

I break my breakfast into 2 parts to avoid the 9:30am crash. I typically have fruit and string cheese first. Later I have a yogurt or other small item. Other times I have a Eggo whole grain waffle toasted with turkey lunchmeat on top. Do you eat breakfast at home or at work? If at home you could also do an eggbeater sandwich on 35 calorie bread. I also try not to think of foods as being only for one type of meal. I have been known to each veggies for breakfast or even a turkey hot dog.

Thanks for your quick reply and good ideas. :goodvibes I think I will try the two part breakfast and see how that works. Part of my problem is that on work days I eat both breakfast and lunch at my desk -- I probably should work on doing that less, too and I only live 3 miles from my office. I'm the boss so I could unchain myself from my desk . . . ;)

I have two Kashi Go Lean Strawberry Flax waffles for breakfast every work day (easy to toast and eat at my desk). I really enjoy them - they are full of protein and fiber!

BTW, my aunt lives in CdA and her husband is a real estate agent up there. I've never been to CdA, but Moscow is a neat little town (she used to live there).

I think the problem is that you don't have protein or enough of the filling items to make it last. Even a diet bagel is just carbs, and will not fill you for long, causing you to crash shortly after.

Try having some egg beaters, or turkey, or even something with cheese. I like to make some egg beaters, morningstar or boca meatless breakfast sausage and a Thomas' Light Multigrain english muffin into a breakfast sandwich. The sausage is 1 point, the muffin is 1 point, and the egg beaters are 1 point, and it tides me over to my mid-morning snack. You can even throw in an apple which would be 1-2 points depending upon size, and it will help to fill you (apples are filling foods on WW)

Good luck!

Thanks for the great suggestions! I think I do need more protein to get through the morning. I will give them a try!

Beth, Moscow is a great town. I went to grad school there. I probably know, or know of, your uncle as I am a real estate attorney here. Now we all sing, "it's a small world after all . . ." :rotfl: I figure that you must live in a college town, too, why else would they name your city "State College"?

Have you ever made homemade breakfast cookies? Hungry Girl has a recipe for them and my kids beg me to make them during school.

I also eat breakfast at my desk, and what works for me is a packet of instant oatmeal (plain unsweetened -- Publix brand is the one I use because it doesn't have added sugar), a half packet of Stevia, and a half cup of blueberries. Then I have an apple with almond butter, or I add the almond butter to the oatmeal when blueberries aren't in season.

Another alternative is a yogurt cup with 1/2 cup of Fiber One original cereal stirred into it.

I also keep a canister of sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast in my office, along with unsweetened almond milk in the fridge -- although I hate to drink my calories, I find this goes a long way to prevent snacking.

I've taken bagels out of my life, no matter what the point value. They're a huge trigger for me and are never as filling as my other concoctions.

BTW, I have not done this, but I know a lot of people who nuke some egg beaters in with their morning oatmeal for extra protein, and really love it.

A low carb wrap with some scrambled eggs and cheese goes a long way! I wrap it in foil, and then just heat in the microwave at work.

Hard boiled eggs work in a pinch for a protein too!

Beth

Variety should be the key, try to include little from the entire food groups for example a very wise option for breakfast is breakfast cereal along with a cup of low fat milk. You can even add fruits of your choice like apples, bananas, oranges or peaches in it for better palatability. Along with this you can also include a cup of sprouts or an egg or pancake, french toast or waffle...

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I am working them in slowly and enjoying breakfast much more. Now I just need to unchain myself from my desk at meals! :confused3

I am stuck in a breakfast rut! :lmao: Every morning I have the same thing for breakfast -- a bagel with 1 T whipped cream cheese -- 6 WW points and either a 3 point yogurt or a skinny hazelnut latte 3 points. Don't get me wrong, I actually like this breakfast or I wouldn't eat it day after day after day.

But I am a bit stuck in my weight loss and need some ideas for alternatives that won't leave me starving at 9:30 a.m.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome!

We make our own version of a McMuffin! I don't know what WW point value this would be, but you could easily alter it if needed. It's what DH & I have nearly every Sat a.m.

Micro-poach eggs (we use a little 2-egg cooker we got from the "gadget wall" at Bed Bath & Beyond, takes about 2 minutes), while toasting Thomas Multi-Grain Lite (or Whole Wheat) English muffins. Nuke a pattie of pre-cooked turkey sausage (or Morningstar, or lunchmeat of choice). Layer a lite cheese slice (or shreds) on bottom muffin piece, then the egg, then sausage. Have it either open-faced or topped with the other half of English muffin, as calories allow. Plenty of protein and fiber, but not heavy at all.

This egg cooker has 2 round flat bottomed compartments, and it's just the right size for Eng. muffins... I've seen some others with 2 dome shaped compartments. The trick with the eggs is to fork-stir the yolks so they don't explode (my Dad learned that the hard way :rotfl: )!! Oh, and I lightly sprinkle the eggs with salt & pepper before cooking (and sometimes thyme or dill).

Takes about 10 minutes to prepare and eat. Good luck with your continued weight loss, and climbing out of the rut!!! :wizard:

-Oatmeal (the non flavoured stuff) with chia seeds, peanut butter, berries, banana, cinnamon, pretty much anything added in that's natural.
-Sunnyside up/poached eggs on toast, I like to top the toast with avocado/guacamole and some tomato
-Any kind of eggs/egg whites really, Omelettes are a nice way to get lots of veggies in
-Wheat toast topped with cottage cheese & fruit
-Protein pancakes: 1/3 cup of oats(blended), 2 eggs, 1 mashed banana, mix together to make the pancake mix, sometimes I add protein powder in too. Then top with peanut butter!
-Smoothies! My favourite is frozen raspberries, protein powder, and peanut butter, tastes like a pb&j milkshake! I also use almond milk or cottage cheese for the creaminess, cottage cheese helps up the protein and you can't taste it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!