~ Suggestions for a Family of four. ~

tinkcollector

DIS Veteran
Hello fellow Diser’s! I have been an annual passholder for a very long time. Hence people think I have a secret to doing the DLR at a discount or can get them discounts. As you know I do get a discount on food and merchandise. But the question is always “how do I get Disneyland tickets for a better rate?”

So my question to all of you for a family of four what is their better value. Please give me your best ideas for both, driving in on Friday, Saturday in the park, and driving home on Sunday scenario. As well as driving in on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday in the park, and checking out for the drive home on Sunday. Please include what you would suggest that includes tickets, or tickets and lodging, or even packages that include dining.

I can’t wait to hear your suggestions. :tink:

Hmmm.....My family of four did this last November. We drove down on Sat (Sat before Thanksgiving), went to the park one day on Sunday, and drove home Monday. We chose this weekend because our kids get the entire week off before TG, so they would not miss any school that Monday. It actually worked our really well. We stayed at Hojo using out Wyndham points, so that was free. Since we were only going to the parks one day, we decided to get a one day, one park ticket instead of a hopper. This saved a lot of money, and although we really missed seeing the decorations at DCA, it was was totally worth it. We got SO much done at DL. We plan on going the same weekend this year, but adding another park day. We are torn about getting one park per day tickets or hoppers. We save a lot of money not having hoppers, but I worry we won't have enough to do at DCA ALL day.....We have Hojos booked already.

I would recommend trying to book as early as possible for the hotel. Also, is walking distance important to them? We always check out rates at Hotwire. Our kids are 8 and 6 and usually DS6 has to head back to the hotel earlier with one of us because he cannot stay up that late. So we don't mind taking a shuttle, but prefer walking distance if possible. Also check out hotel rates on getawaytoday.

When pricing lodging take into account breakfast parking and transport to parks. It isn't just the hotel price.

There are southern California specials available off peak for tix sometimes, if you can plan a trip then you will likely also save on hotel.

Biddingforgood.com does often have auctions for one day hoppers. I hesitate to mention it because I may buy them sometime. they are charity auctions.

For us, it is compare prices everywhere and keep comparing until we leave on our trip. Compare piecing it out vs package deals. getawaytoday dot com has great packages and even better customer service. AAA, credit unions, and HR at work, Costco, etc. check them all. It doesn't hurt to ask. Figure out what you want, when you want it to better help compare apples to apples. If you know you will be going to DL in summer 2016, then spring 2017, it might be a good idea to get a great package deal, then upgrade to passes on the first trip, then second trip, book package through Costco and have them remove the ticket cost.

Hmmm.....My family of four did this last November. We drove down on Sat (Sat before Thanksgiving), went to the park one day on Sunday, and drove home Monday. We chose this weekend because our kids get the entire week off before TG, so they would not miss any school that Monday. It actually worked our really well. We stayed at Hojo using out Wyndham points, so that was free. Since we were only going to the parks one day, we decided to get a one day, one park ticket instead of a hopper. This saved a lot of money, and although we really missed seeing the decorations at DCA, it was was totally worth it. We got SO much done at DL. We plan on going the same weekend this year, but adding another park day. We are torn about getting one park per day tickets or hoppers. We save a lot of money not having hoppers, but I worry we won't have enough to do at DCA ALL day.....We have Hojos booked already.

I would recommend trying to book as early as possible for the hotel. Also, is walking distance important to them? We always check out rates at Hotwire. Our kids are 8 and 6 and usually DS6 has to head back to the hotel earlier with one of us because he cannot stay up that late. So we don't mind taking a shuttle, but prefer walking distance if possible. Also check out hotel rates on getawaytoday.
If you're finding you don't have enough to do at DCA you can upgrade while you're there.

Costco has never been cheaper for us.

Desert inn is the cheapest motel if you book 9+ months out.

I also like best western park place inn. You can get a discount through Costco. If it's coming up unavailable for the date call they're super nice.

If you need a suite we liked Camelot inn but found Homewood suites about the same price with hot breakfast.

Sometimes the Costco packages work out to a discount if you use the character dining vouchers toward regular meals (like a $45 gift card) and use the gift card toward your expenses, too. The package prices are the same as WDTC, but with the extras, it is as good as a discount.

If the family is local, doing the CHOC Walk (10/30 this year) is a great way to raise money for charity and get the opportunity to buy substantially discounted tickets. In past years, each walker could show his/her wristband at the ticket booth in order to buy up to 5 discounted tickets, both one day/one park and parkhoppers. Conventions, official and not, offer discounted tickets, e.g. Dapper Days. Also, if the family will be at DLR anytime from the end of Sept. through the end of Oct., MHP tickets can be a way to get 8 hours in DL at a lower price. Military tickets, if applicable here, are a good deal. aRES Travel has had good deals on multi-day tickets. Also check MouseSavers for any current deals. The dining plan at DLR is actually a rip off because you don't get change for your vouchers. So if you buy something for $4.50 and give a $5 voucher, you lose the change. A better idea is to put the money budgeted for food on to Disney gift cards. Then you get the full value of each dollar and keep track of how much is budgeted and how much you are spending. One way to save a lot is to share meals. Most meals at DLR are large enough to share. That leaves more room and money for snacks and treats.

When booking A package I always use getawaytoday.com since they have discounted park tickets and a lot of hotels to choose from.

For tickets only (for example I already booked a room with credit card miles or point or just found a great deal somewhere not in a package like desert inn can often be a real steal if you book far out) I use AAA for the discounted tickets.

Most often your best bet is to look all over and try a variety of options until you find what you are willing to spend.

I agree with the others about getawaytoday.com. they have 3rd & 4th night free deals. I usually book through them also because a lot of their packages also come with free breakfasts & free resort/parking fees and shuttle to parks to save on parking at DL as well. I think they have the best prices than most sites. For tickets I've seen a little cheaper cost at way.com. And some people also buy target gift cards with the 5% saving with the red card and buy their tickets at the park. I would also check out mousesavers.com and read their section on meals as they will tell you all the possible meal discounts in the area. What you won't find on their site is I recently saw a gift card at Costco.com for Ruby's diner which is about a 5 to 10 minute drive from DL it is a 60's style sock hop diner with really good food with large portions which I highly suggest. We love it there. Happy planning!:flower1:

Thank you everyone! I have passed all your information on to my friends daughter. She really appreciates all the help and I am sure they will have a terrific time! :thanks: :tink:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter