• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggested itinerary for SF - Anaheim?

I love taking the coast roads and stopping in San Luis Obisbo at the Madonna Inn, it's super tacky and kitschy and fun. They make the most amazing cake there too. I really love driving and seeing the coast, in a hurry we've taken the 5 but it's long, boring and smelly at points when you drive by start seems like a million cows. For me going up the coast is a favorite scenic experience not to be missed! The drive is better than some of the tourist stops in my opinion. I also love the hiking at point lobos and garrapada state park.

I really that that smelly stretch - yuck!!!

At the end of Aug. we are doing an LA to SF trip. Don't know if this is an option for you but when I priced the car rental SF to LA (for 9 days) it is about $800!! However renting in LA and returning to SF is about $225. Both prices are with National and without coupons or codes. Such a huge price difference!!! I'm guessing that more people start up north and head south therefore the rental companies discount the rental to get their car inventory back up north. So starting your trip in Disneyland may save you some money. :)

I'm not sure why people say it's an 8 hour drive, it takes us 5 hours (with no traffic so, between 10am and 3pm or 5am to 10am or 7pm to midnight)
I said it is an 8 hour drive for us, because for us it is. We live in Sonoma County and I didn't want to bog anyone down with details so I just said north of SF. Sorry if that was confusing. It takes a long time to get over to 5 going through the east bay. And 101 just sort of dissolves when you get to SF, so we avoid that. I wish we could just go straight down but we have to meander our way over. (Drives me crazy, actually) 8 hours includes stopping at rest stops for quick bathroom breaks and eating lunch, leaving at 6am on a Saturday. Anyway, something to keep in mind if someone comes up to visit the wine country and then heads back down.

Bc I'm anal, here is my California Trip I'm taking in a couple of weeks-I'll let you know how it goes!

Date

City/Town

Hotel

Activity

8/28, Fri

San Fran

Hilton San Francisco Airport Bayfront

600 Airport Blvd., Burlingame, CA 94010

Tel: +1-650340-8500

get there noon, pick up rental car

Alcatraz night tour

8/29, Sat

San Fran/san jose

Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley San Jose

777 Bellew Dr.

Milpitas, CA, 95035

(408) 321-9500

Fisherman’s wharf(19 miles, 32 minutes) and city and drive to San Jose hotel (45 miles, one hour)

8/30, sun

Sanjose/santacruz?

Asilomar Conference Grounds

800 Asilomar Boulevard

Pacific Grove (California), CA 93950, United States of America

Phone: +18313728016

Drive to Winchester Mystery House, 525 S Winchester Blvd San Jose, CA 95128 : (408) 247-2101, (9 miles, 19 min) opens at 9 am; drive to Henry Cowell Redwood State Park (27 miles, 36 min) for the Redwood Grove Loop trail (0.8 mile flat hike); drive to Santa Cruz Boardwalk (5 miles, 10 minutes); and drive to Asilomar (49 miles, 1 h, 3 min)

8/31 mon

Monterey/carmel

Asilomar Conference Grounds

Monterey bay aquarium– opens 9:30; (2 miles, 8 min) and Monterey and beach and/or carmel

9/1 , Tues

Carmel/hearstcastle/San Luis Obispo

Madonna Inn

100 Madonna Road

San Luis Obispo

check out carmelif haven’t (6 miles, 15 min); drive to elephant seal vista in san simeon (85 miles, 2 hours); drive to Hearst castle, 750 hearst castle road, san simeon (8.5 miles, 20 min); drive to Madonna Inn (47 miles, 1 hour)

9/2, Wed

Carmel/solvang/santa

Barbara/santamonica

Georgian Hotel

1415 Ocean Avenue

Santa Monica, CA, 90401

(310) 395-9945

9/3 -santa Monica

9/4

Drive to Hotel (45 miles, 59 min), drop off car and California Adventure

Anaheim

Howard Johnson

9/5

KBF 10k, Disneyland

9/6, sun

Anaheim

Howard Johnson

KBF Half magic kingdom

9/7, mon

Anaheim

Howard Johnson

Hollywood/WB tour

9/8, tue

Go home

Following this thread. We will being doing a 10 day end of Feb, beginning of Mar trip. Flying into SFO and out of LAX. We have some ideas of where/what we want to do, but interested to hear any and all suggestions.

when i did a coastal trip 20 years ago we stopped a Hearst Castle ( in San Simeon along the coast). it was really neat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter