Success Rate in Getting Connecting Rooms for Immediate Family

Did you book and receive 2 connecting rooms for your stay when you had only 2 adults and 3+children?

• Yes we received connecting rooms and were very happy.

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • No we did not receive connecting rooms as requested and were very disappointed.

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

twoolle

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We are a family of 6 and the best deal for us onsite is 2 rooms at a value. We are booked with a TA convention rate and not directly with Disney, so we had to book it as 2 linked reservations. Many people, including our TA have warned us that the connecting rooms are not guaranteed but I want to know real life experiences of people that have requested and NOT received connecting rooms...when they needed them. For example, 2 adults and 3+ children staying together. This does not include people's experiences when traveling with grandparents, extended family members, friends, etc as I am just trying to narrow it down to our situation. Thanks in advance!

I've gotten connecting rooms twice *with* a grandparent. One room had 2 adults and 2 kids and the other room only had grandma. Both times we got connecting. This was a while back in 2014. Also, this was at WL and BC (I don't know if certain resorts have more connecting rooms). This was our only room request and I called to have it noted. It wasn't a big deal for us if we didn't get it, though.

I think they try hard to meet everyone's requests. They want their guests to be happy. But, of course it depends on what is available when the room assigner goes to assign your room in x-room category on x-day. It really depends on what is already occupied when you check in and how many are requesting a similar set up. Many families travel together and many are in your situation, where they need two rooms for their kids. I know you asked about only immediate families, but I wanted to share our experience with a grandparent since it was positive. Good luck!

I've gotten connecting rooms twice *with* a grandparent. One room had 2 adults and 2 kids and the other room only had grandma. Both times we got connecting. This was a while back in 2014. Also, this was at WL and BC (I don't know if certain resorts have more connecting rooms). This was our only room request and I called to have it noted. It wasn't a big deal for us if we didn't get it, though.

I think they try hard to meet everyone's requests. They want their guests to be happy. But, of course it depends on what is available when the room assigner goes to assign your room in x-room category on x-day. It really depends on what is already occupied when you check in and how many are requesting a similar set up. Many families travel together and many are in your situation, where they need two rooms for their kids. I know you asked about only immediate families, but I wanted to share our experience with a grandparent since it was positive. Good luck!

Yes, thank you for sharing!

The reality in the room assignment system is- you never need them...at least not from a logistical point of view. There would not be a room reservation without an adult for the room. You can request and hope for connecting or at least adjoining rooms, but be prepared for two separate rooms. We requested adjoining rooms at POR several years ago and ended up with two room a few doors apart. That said, it was not critical for our party and they were close enough- so we rolled with it. If you don't get connecting rooms at check in, you can certainly ask them to check for other options.

Last edited:
First time it was my wife and I staying at Port Orleans Riverside with 5 kids all under the age of 10. Booked 2 rooms under one reservation and our only request was for connecting rooms. Not only did we not get connecting rooms, we were in 2 different buildings. After day 4 we were at least able to get in the same building.

Second time was at Beach Club with the same 2 adults and 5 kids, only now all under the age of 11. Again no connecting rooms and our rooms were on the opposite sides of the resort. After day 3 we were able to get in the same section of the resort but on different floors.

The first time was bad because we didn't know connecting rooms were not guaranteed. Every phone CM I talked to said because we had one reservation number and more kids than adults we were guaranteed to get connecting rooms. Our reservation paperwork even said guaranteed connecting. So I ended up wasting 4 hours of vacation time fighting that fact.
At least we were prepared the 2nd time.

First time it was my wife and I staying at Port Orleans Riverside with 5 kids all under the age of 10. Booked 2 rooms under one reservation and our only request was for connecting rooms. Not only did we not get connecting rooms, we were in 2 different buildings. After day 4 we were at least able to get in the same building.

Second time was at Beach Club with the same 2 adults and 5 kids, only now all under the age of 11. Again no connecting rooms and our rooms were on the opposite sides of the resort. After day 3 we were able to get in the same section of the resort but on different floors.

The first time was bad because we didn't know connecting rooms were not guaranteed. Every phone CM I talked to said because we had one reservation number and more kids than adults we were guaranteed to get connecting rooms. Our reservation paperwork even said guaranteed connecting. So I ended up wasting 4 hours of vacation time fighting that fact.
At least we were prepared the 2nd time.

This is good to know! I had heard of this "guaranteed connecting" on some paperwork so was wondering what that really meant...I guess it means they can only try! But it is better to know what to expect and then roll with it than to be blindsided with no expectation of being split up. Now I am starting to wonder, since ours are all under 10 if we should just splurge for the suite at AoA. I think it's about $600 to $800 more per week but I feel like there's so much more we could do with that money. I guess there's always All Star Music suites but wasn't really thrilled about that resort. Decisions, decisions...

We are 3 for 3 and we booked with a TA using convention rate 2 of those times. There's never a guarantee, but hopefully you'll run into the same good luck as us.

I know it's not the parameters you're looking for, but the one trip where we requested connecting rooms we received them. For what it's worth, it was POFQ

I made sure that both reservations were linked, and when I had the room requests made I had connecting rooms be the primary request.

My sister also had success booking 2 rooms at a value (Pop) and having them be connected. Her traveling party was 2 adults and 2 kids.

Thanks to everyone responding! I actually had a dream about this last night...ended up we did not get connecting rooms and somehow i scored a room all to myself and DH slept in the room with the kids! Again it was only a dream.

But I guess it wouldn't be so bad if we were split up...all 3 boys would choose to stay with dad I'm sure and my 1 princess would want her mommy. Might be kind of fun actually!

last trip we used the same TA and got connecting rooms at ASSp. My daughter, son in law and younger grand daughter in one room, me and older grand daughter in the other room.

2 prior trips booked directly with Disney, ASSP and POFQ we also got connecting rooms.

This is one of those situations where people's past experiences don't predict what your own results will be.

Your chances of getting connecting rooms depends on:

1) How many connecting room pairs exist at your resort.

2) How many other guests have requested connecting rooms for the dates you'll be there.

3) Any other requests you've made that may reduce the number of connecting room pairs that meet your criteria. This is an argument for making no other requests besides connecting rooms.

The bottom line is, they do try to fill requests, and they know that connecting rooms are important to those who request them. But if they have more requests for connecting rooms than there are room pairs, some guests won't get their request fulfilled.

Crew of 8 here-2 parents and 6 kids. We have had fairly good luck with the connecting rooms, however, twice we have not gotten them out the of the past 6 or so trips. To fix this, flexibility has been key. The first time we were at Riverside and they downgraded us from pool view to garden view(or something like that). They refunded us the difference without any sort of issue. I cannot for the life of me understand what the issue was because the cast member quite literally presented us with 5 connecting room choices and not all involved downgrading. We got a better room and money back because I couldn't care less if we look at the pool.
Our last trip at Sports was a connecting room fail as well. This one resulted in a downgrade from preferred to standard, which was fine, but we went round and round with the check in lady about it. They refunded us some money, not what it should have been. A polite email to Disney upon our arrival home saw the rest refunded.
So it is definitely a risk.

Last edited:
The one trip we stayed at All Stars Music (never again), we had two adults and four kids ...not only were we not connecting, we were in separate buildings. I moaned, cried, etc. etc. and they said they couldn't come up with anything better. That may not be the norm, but it is a possibility, so you need to be aware of that.

We did a group of 7 at the CR and had rooms right next to each other and a group of 7 at CBR and had rooms in the same building but different floors. When we have traveled with six we stayed at the cabins at FW, so no issues there - we all fit in one cabin.

Another thing I thought of, make sure your reservations are linked with a "traveling with" number. And that you request connecting rooms on your reservation. The lack of linked reservations(though I fairly certain I did link them) was blamed for us not getting connecting rooms at Sports. So double check that they are linked. You unfortunately have to call to link them.

Crew of 8 here-2 parents and 6 kids. We have had fairly good luck with the connecting rooms, however, twice we have not gotten them out the of the past 6 or so trips. To fix this, flexibility has been key. The first time we were at Riverside and they downgraded us from pool view to garden view(or something like that). They refunded us the difference without any sort of issue. I cannot for the life of me understand what the issue was because the cast member quite literally presented us with 5 connecting room choices and not all involved downgrading. We got a better room and money back because I couldn't care less if we look at the pool.
Our last trip at Sports was a connecting room fail as well. This one resulted in a downgrade from preferred to standard, which was fine, but we went round and round with the check in lady about it. They refunded us some money, not what it should have been. A polite email to Disney upon our arrival home saw the rest refunded.
So it is definitely a risk.

So after you downgraded in both cases did you end up with connecting rooms?
Thanks for the tip of the traveling with number, I will definitely do that!

This is one of those situations where people's past experiences don't predict what your own results will be.

1) How many connecting room pairs exist at your resort.

2) How many other guests have requested connecting rooms for the dates you'll be there.

3) Any other requests you've made that may reduce the number of connecting room pairs that meet your criteria. This is an argument for making no other requests besides connecting rooms.

The bottom line is, they do try to fill requests, and they know that connecting rooms are important to those who request them. But if they have more requests for connecting rooms than there are room pairs, some guests won't get their request fulfilled.

This is by far the best advice. We have gotten them when requested at POFQ, with exact same set up as you: 2 parents/2 kids in one room and 1 grandparent in the other. But we know it's not a guarantee. So, on those other trips, we booked suites to ensure we were together (AOA Family Suite and AKV 1 BRM Villa). So, just know you take the chance, or book what you need to avoid any chance. I do think they try as best they can to figure out the puzzle to make as many requests happen, but sometimes the puzzle pieces simply can't fit.

We requested adjoining rooms at POR several years ago and ended up with two room a few doors apart.
Technically, you got adjoining rooms. Adjoining means next to or near each other.
Every phone CM I talked to said because we had one reservation number and more kids than adults
This statement never made sense to me.
4: How many guests are already in rooms that connect (for any variety of reasons) but dodont need to connect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter