Stupid question???

GrumpeyMom

Mouseketeer
Okay, I should know this but I'm drawing a blank. We're planning on going in December, so of course there are no rates yet. Should we book a room for the dates we want, pay our deposit, and then see about having the AP rate applied when it comes out later in the year? Or should we wait until the codes are out and pray there's availability for our dates? Thanks! :flower:

You will get differing opinions regarding your question. We always book our Nov./Dec. trip in Jan. or Feb. starting with a AAA rate then wait and see if anything better comes our way. We always budget using the AAA rate. If nothing better comes along we have our resort booked at a rate that we can afford.

IMO, you should only book what you're willing to pay if there are no discount codes.
I don't make my reservation until the AP rates come out, because I would not pay rack rate at any of the resorts.
The only way a code can be applied to an existing reservation is if there is a discounted room available. If there is not, you will not be able to apply the code.
If you book something you'll only stay at if you get a discount, and will cancel if you don't get a discount on it, then you shouldn't make the reservation. If you're going to stay there regardless of if you get a discount or not, then you should book it. The more rooms that are booked at rack rate, the less of a need there will be to offer discounts.

I was looking for the BCV the first week of Dec. thinking I'd book with a AAA rate and if I get lucky get an Ap rate. Well, the first and second weeks for Dec. are already completely booked @ BCV and BWV with a AAA rate. We are taking the third weekend @ BWV with AAA as BCV doesn't have AAA available for that weekend either. Where we stay is important to us so we wanted to make sure we had one of our top choices. If we get a better rate that is just icing on the cake. :flower:

We too always book with our AAA rate. And I budget according to that AAA rate. If no other rates are available we are still getting a decent discount but I don't plan my budget on an AP discount because we don't know how much off it will be or even if there will be one.

Book a room only AAA rate now for what you can afford.

If better rates come out later change your reservations.

I have heard from a number of sources that WDW has many more reservations this year than they did last year at this time.

They may not have as many discounted rooms available this year, and they may not be available when you can go.

Changing a room only reservation is no big deal. Packages can be added closer to when you are actually going. The AAA rate may not be available later.

I just booked AAA rates for CS in December, but I'm hoping for AP or pin code at WL later in the year. If it does not happen, I'm still going.

Note that having a reservation for the time you want does not guarantee an AP rate for that room even if it comes out. If they project the hotel to be full, they may not give AP or pin discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter