Stupid question about Tip Envelopes for Disney Cruises...

MataHari22

DIS Veteran
I know lots of people use Tip Envelopes for MouseKeeping, restaurants, and other things around WDW. Are they something that would be useful on cruises or not? I make things on the DISigns board, and someone asked if I made tip envelopes for cruises, and I do not have any. Before I would take the time to make any, I am wondering if they are even a thing, or would be something people used before I expend the energy. I don't do the Disney cruise thing, so I am woefully ignorant in all things cruising. TIA for any answers.

I know lots of people use Tip Envelopes for MouseKeeping, restaurants, and other things around WDW. Are they something that would be useful on cruises or not? I make things on the DISigns board, and someone asked if I made tip envelopes for cruises, and I do not have any. Before I would take the time to make any, I am wondering if they are even a thing, or would be something people used before I expend the energy. I don't do the Disney cruise thing, so I am woefully ignorant in all things cruising. TIA for any answers.

They are provided for you along with your tip that was either prepaid or paid from your on board account at the end of the cruise. You can add extra cash to the tip envelopes if you would like.

I saw mention of someone who'd made tip envelopes for the cruise for the people that don't get the 'automatic' tips, like room service, but it was just to have on hand, not because they are needed.

I have special tip envelopes made for all the tipping positions on the cruise for the fun of it. I even edit it for hotel housekeeping outside Disney like Scoopy Doo and Harry Potter for Universal resorts. It’s up to you to do whatever you prefer doing.

For mousekeeping at Disney resorts, I bring regular envelopes and just write Thank you on it. But I don't bring any for DCL cruises because they provide the tipping envelopes as others have already mentioned. Even with room service I don't put it in an envelope, I just hand it to them.

I do prefer the tipping envelopes DCL provides because it's small enough for my husband to put in his pocket for when we go to dinner.

I wouldn't worry about making them. You can just bring regular envelopes and write a note in the front if you want to personalize it.

You really don't even need to give it to them they are going to get it on their paycheck anyway. I've never understood why Disney still does this now that tips are automatically charged to your room. Other cruise lines don't do this. The only reason I can think of for doing it is they expect you to add more cash to the envelope.

You really don't even need to give it to them they are going to get it on their paycheck anyway. I've never understood why Disney still does this now that tips are automatically charged to your room. Other cruise lines don't do this. The only reason I can think of for doing it is they expect you to add more cash to the envelope.

I think some feel it's more personal to give it while you're thanking them. When my daughter was a lot younger, she used to love putting a little note/picture she drew inside and handing it to them. As she got older, she just liked giving it to them. Now, sometimes she does it and other times my husband does it. If Disney decided to do away with it, we would be okay and just make sure we thank them. But there may be a lot of people who still like giving them and I'm sure Disney will continue to provide it for those who still prefer it.

Honest question that will probably get me flamed...and this is not meant as an attack, just curiosity. But why do people on these boards and others spend so much time obsessing about tipping? It's probably the most asked about topic on this forum. I get it that you don't want to be perceived as a cheap skate and want to make sure that the cast members are compensated for their efforts...but why do people spend so much of their vacation prep and vacation time worrying about how much they're going to tip someone, checking with others to make sure that their projected tip amounts "line up" with everyone else's, compiling lists of every potential cast member beyond the standard gratuity roster that might need to be tipped, and now apparently the instrument by which they plan to provide these tips?

Honest question that will probably get me flamed...and this is not meant as an attack, just curiosity. But why do people on these boards and others spend so much time obsessing about tipping? It's probably the most asked about topic on this forum. I get it that you don't want to be perceived as a cheap skate and want to make sure that the cast members are compensated for their efforts...but why do people spend so much of their vacation prep and vacation time worrying about how much they're going to tip someone, checking with others to make sure that their projected tip amounts "line up" with everyone else's, compiling lists of every potential cast member beyond the standard gratuity roster that might need to be tipped, and now apparently the instrument by which they plan to provide these tips?

No flame here. It's a good question. But you're asking in a forum dedicated to planning for Disney vacations.

I feel that those who are on here are likely the people who would ask and spend time extra time for things that others may not even care about. Everyone has their plans in mind and I would believe that people choose the advice that coordinates with the way they vacation.

For instance, everyone loves FEs and we have never done it. I can see why others like doing it and it's really fun for them, but that's not what we do on vacations, so we don't participate. Lots of people join meets onboard. Although, I'm sure it would be great to meet some of the members here, we don't do that either. But I can see how it could enhance others' experience. Tipping is a sensitive topic here. Some people get defensive about it because they don't feel that you are doing what they would do whether it's appropriate or not. You really just need to take the advice you think that would help your planning and enjoyment of your cruise and ignore the rest.

Although I agree that there are more multilevel planning here that other cruise lines, but I think Disney cruisers are very passionate about DCL...more so than the other cruise lines. But remember that other cruise lines don't have the whole idea of Disney associated with it and with that comes expectations (good and bad).

We are planning our first cruise in a couple of years and I greatly appreciate all of the conversations in this forum, including the tip ones (although I definitely don't think tipping is what is the most asked about). I find it helpful so that I know what to expect. With this being the first cruise I want to make sure we know what is standard. I have often read about cultural differences in tipping sometimes causing what would typically be a tipped position to go untipped and I want to make sure we don't make a rookie tipping mistake!

We do special housekeeping tip envelopes when we stay at Disney World because it is fun. It takes next to no time and I have lots of fun creating the 'perfect' envelope for each day. I consider all of the planning stages to be part of the trip which includes the research I do to try to be the most educated and the little things that make the trip just a little bit better (for example, today I learned to put a piece of magnet on an old gift card to keep the lights on).

I couldn't care less about if people tip or not tip, that's up to them, and do not want my thread to break out in any kind of debate about tipping. I simply design items for free on these boards that spread a little love and pixie dust for people taking Disney vacations. Since I was asked if I had any cruise tip envelopes already designed, I just wanted to see if it was something that would be used, or not. My other tip envelopes are pretty popular. Just wanted to see if I should dedicate some time to make cruise ones or not. I never knew about the fish extender thing, until people started asking me to make things for that, too.

P.S. If anyone would like some tip envelopes I currently have, help yourself.

https://pin.it/mkilloc3rigpwd

Last edited:
tip envelopes.jpg

I couldn't care less about if people tip or not tip, that's up to them, and do not want my thread to break out in any kind of debate about tipping. I simply design items for free on these boards that spread a little love and pixie dust for people taking Disney vacations. Since I was asked if I had any cruise tip envelopes already designed, I just wanted to see if it was something that would be used, or not. My other tip envelopes are pretty popular. Just wanted to see if I should dedicate some time to make cruise ones or not. I never knew about the fish extender thing, until people started asking me to make things for that, too.

What I could see useful and I would use would be a design for a label that could be put on the back of the envelope with a thank you to ___________ (tipped person's name) or something like that with a DCL logo. The front of the DCL envelope have the Server, Assistant Server, Head Server and Room Host title printed on them and a line for the guest's name. The back is blank. I often write a "thanks for a great week" or something like that on the back of the envelopes.

MJ

No flame here. It's a good question. But you're asking in a forum dedicated to planning for Disney vacations.

I feel that those who are on here are likely the people who would ask and spend time extra time for things that others may not even care about. Everyone has their plans in mind and I would believe that people choose the advice that coordinates with the way they vacation.

For instance, everyone loves FEs and we have never done it. I can see why others like doing it and it's really fun for them, but that's not what we do on vacations, so we don't participate. Lots of people join meets onboard. Although, I'm sure it would be great to meet some of the members here, we don't do that either. But I can see how it could enhance others' experience. Tipping is a sensitive topic here. Some people get defensive about it because they don't feel that you are doing what they would do whether it's appropriate or not. You really just need to take the advice you think that would help your planning and enjoyment of your cruise and ignore the rest.

Although I agree that there are more multilevel planning here that other cruise lines, but I think Disney cruisers are very passionate about DCL...more so than the other cruise lines. But remember that other cruise lines don't have the whole idea of Disney associated with it and with that comes expectations (good and bad).

I think you're spot on about Disney and planning. If you're paying a premium for a vacation, you want to make sure that you squeeze every ounce of enjoyment out of it--and that's why these forums are so popular, because they help you do just that. My point was that there are so many other things to worry about planning that in my mind the minutiae of tipping would be far down the list of what I would be spending my time fretting over. We leave the standard gratuities on the account, and if someone goes above and beyond we give them an amount of cash on top of that commensurate with the extra level of service they provided. Done and done...enjoy the vacation without worrying about keeping up with what the "Joneses" tipped, without fear of walking on eggshells lest we offend the assistant to the assistant to the part time bartender by "stiffing" him, etc.

But, as you correctly point out...everyone has their own priorities and kinks, and I respect that. I've just always wondered why tipping is such a biggie when it comes to trip planning when there are so many other moving pieces in play.

I think this is generous and pretty awesome. Why not jazz up the tip envelopes if you want. A really unique way to show your appreciation.

IMO, it doesn't really have anything to do with "keeping up with the Joneses". I think the reason why tipping gets discussed so much here is because Disney World is an international destination and I know that tipping customs are different throughout the world. Here in the US there are jobs where people do not make enough money if they do not get decent tips, for instance, some restaurant staff. While in other countries, these folks are paid a good hourly wage, and tipping is not customary there.

Also, for me, the tip envelopes help keep me organized. I have my envelopes set up when I leave for vacation. Baggage handler envelopes, MouseKeeping, even a few restaurant ones, etc... all in order and ready to go so that I just pull out the corresponding envelope and hand it to the person. Takes two seconds and I'm not fumbling around looking for smaller bills.

I think you're spot on about Disney and planning. If you're paying a premium for a vacation, you want to make sure that you squeeze every ounce of enjoyment out of it--and that's why these forums are so popular, because they help you do just that. My point was that there are so many other things to worry about planning that in my mind the minutiae of tipping would be far down the list of what I would be spending my time fretting over. We leave the standard gratuities on the account, and if someone goes above and beyond we give them an amount of cash on top of that commensurate with the extra level of service they provided. Done and done...enjoy the vacation without worrying about keeping up with what the "Joneses" tipped, without fear of walking on eggshells lest we offend the assistant to the assistant to the part time bartender by "stiffing" him, etc.

But, as you correctly point out...everyone has their own priorities and kinks, and I respect that. I've just always wondered why tipping is such a biggie when it comes to trip planning when there are so many other moving pieces in play.

With me, I don't really keep up with anyone. I do exactly as you mentioned above about tipping with the extra level service. And I don't believe in extra tipping in order to do what others do. I still believe tipping is based on service. So I'm not going to add just because everyone does.

With that in mind, I do believe that some tipping questions are from new cruisers who really want to know since they don't have any experience. It doesn't mean they'll follow what others are saying. Some people are very generous tippers while others are not. And yes, sometimes it does seem like some discussion can amplify and become less about opinions. But in the end, it's still up to that individual. And I do believe that the majority of people still choose to do what they believe is appropriate.

There is definitely something about Disney that gets people very passionate about planning. Most of our vacations are related to Disney, but there are a few times where I needed to check myself and realize that some places don't require that much planning. But as you know, part of the fun for many people is the planning....even if it may seem trivial.

Also, for me, the tip envelopes help keep me organized. I have my envelopes set up when I leave for vacation. Baggage handler envelopes, MouseKeeping, even a few restaurant ones, etc... all in order and ready to go so that I just pull out the corresponding envelope and hand it to the person. Takes two seconds and I'm not fumbling around looking for smaller bills.

I agree. I think anything that can help with organization is worth the effort. I don't like fumbling and counting for the correct bills as well...and sometimes if you don't set it aside, you won't have the amount for the tip. I think this is much more important when dealing with multiple currencies for European cruises.

On our last cruise, we only had to deal with $US, GBP and Euros...but for this upcoming cruise I have $US, Euros, DKK, NOK, ISK and GBP...so I am definitely organizing each separately.

Other than DCL and WDW housekeeping, I don't usually use envelopes...so I actually have a folder to separate appropriate amounts. My husband thought it was a little over the top, until he asked me one day if I gave him the money for the porter and he started checking his pocket and I took out my folder and reached in and gave it to him....easy peasy...he never said anything about it again.:)

The other reason that tipping is a much asked about topic here on the boards is because it is another added expense. I think that people are busy budgeting for their trip, so they want to make sure that they are prepared and not surprised when the shipboard bill comes with the extra charges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter