Stuffing recipes... help!

I like vegetables in my stuffing.

1 stick butter
1 large onion, diced
1/4 - 1/2 bag baby carrots diced
3 celery stalks, diced
Sometimes 8 oz. mushrooms, diced, if I feel like it

Sauté until the veggies are cooked. Add either fresh, julienned sage or dried sage to taste. Cook to combine flavors. I like sage a lot, so I use a lot.

Place 2 bags of Pepperidge Farms Sage & Onion stuffing into a large bowl.

Add contents of frying pan and 1 32 oz. box of chicken broth. Mix together and place into a foil baking pan.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, covered for most of it with foil and then remove foil for last 10 minutes.

Another Stove Top physician here.:smooth: Agree with the butter (unsalted) and low sodium chicken broth. I usually use about 1/2 water & 1/2 broth for the liquid. I'll sautee some onions and celery to stir in, on occasion I've thrown in raisins and nuts or chopped apple. As much as I'd like to try a more home grown version (and I have tried) the Stove Top with some tweaks is just too good to bother with the other stuff (much as I'd enjoy sampling some of the recipes posted here.):)

Any stuffing premix like Pepperidge farm. Chicken stock not broth or water. Onions, mushrooms sautéed then mixed with stuffing. Add garlic, oregano, parsley. I put into turkey. Some do not.

Oh my goodness - that's gold.
And sounds like a darn good recipe...makes me want to give it a try vs. my regular use of the pepperidge farms cubes.
It is really good and compared to a lot of recipes I've seen it is very basic! I am just surprised that my recipe is the only one I've seen posted that uses eggs.

My cornbread dressing uses boiled and beaten eggs.
My grandmother’s dressing and gravy both contained hard boiled eggs. I thought she just made it up since until today, I had never seen another recipe using hard boiled eggs.

Hmmm.. OK, I'll try, but so much of my stuffing recipe depends on how it goes together at the time...

Put the turkey neck and giblets (I skip the liver, it's pretty strong) in a pot and cover with a quart of chicken stock and a good slug of white wine. Shake in some garlic powder and sage, and let this simmer quite awhile (covered? I don't remember). It's my quick and dirty version of turkey stock.

While the stock is simmering, cut 2 loaves of white bread (I use the long loaves, store brand) into squares, put out on cookie sheets, and toast in the oven. I actually put cooking racks inside the cookie sheets so the bread toasts from all sides; if you don't do this, stir them occasionally so they get browned all over. Don't know what temp (350?) or how long, but we like a nice golden color, not too pale, not too dark. When they are nice and toasty, take them out and let them cool.

Dice a large sweet onion. Also dice carrots and celery, until you have about as much of each as you have of the onion. Melt a stick of butter in a large pot and put the veggies in to sauté. Add some sage, salt, pepper... maybe garlic powder?

Put the bread cubes in a BIG bowl and add the veggies. Toss lightly. Taste for seasoning. Beat up 2 or 3 eggs and toss them on the veggie/bread mix too, but you have to make sure that the bread/veg mix is cooled so that it doesn't cook the egg. When you have that mixed, add some of the stock, not too much at a time, until everything is damp but not wet/soggy. Taste for seasoning again (I tend to not use salt at all, but this sometimes needs it. I might actually salt the veggies as I sauté them and then not salt again).

Stuff into the bird. Add a bit more broth to anything that will be baked in a pan instead of inside the bird. DD can't stand stuffing from inside the bird but loves it otherwise, so I make both. If you have leftover stock, you can use it in the gravy, too.

My grandmother’s dressing and gravy both contained hard boiled eggs. I thought she just made it up since until today, I had never seen another recipe using hard boiled eggs.

We have it in the gravy too, but my stepmom makes that. I only know the dressing recipe. I think that my Nanny taught all of us one part of Thanksgiving so that we have to get along forever.:)

Are you planning to stuff the bird? IF not, that opens up a world of possibilities for different stuffing/dressing recipes.

Honestly, I can't imagine eating Stove Top on Thanksgiving. First off, it would take about 50 boxes at our gatherings and second, its just not the same as homemade.

Think about what you like or might like--apples, sausage, squash, chicken, pecans, oysters--whatever sounds good or you know someone likes. Then google a recipe for stuffing with that ingredient. Look at the recipe and make sure it doesn't have something in it that you or your family won't eat. If it does figure out a way around that or what to replace it with. My husband hates celery, my dressing has celery. I just use celery seed instead. Most things you can figure out a replacement or leave out. But, if it calls for something like 3 chopped onions and your family hates onions, I would look for another recipe because apparently its supposed to taste like onion.

There are so many different variations. Some very easy.

And honestly, whether you do dressing or you do stuffing, its one of those things that as long as you get the moisture content right, you can't really mess it up. Its all about your taste. Or your family's taste.

Like! And thank you for knowing the difference between dressing and stuffing; thought I was all alone:D.

I love that everyone in every area of the world has unique stuffing recipes! I make the same one my mom did.

The night before Thanksgiving, tear one huge loaf of white bread into bite sized pieces, spread out onto cookie sheets in a single layer and (like another stated) hide from the cat to dry out overnight - mine goes in the oven (while off obviously).

The next day, brown 1 roll spicy breakfast sausage from Jimmy Dean and break up into small pieces . In another pan, melt 1/2 stick butter, then brown one large chopped onion and 4 ribs celery in until almost soft. Add an assortment of washed, sliced mushrooms. You can also chop some sliced water chestnuts and add to the veggies to soften for some crunch.

Prior to baking, put dried bread crumbs in a huge bowl, add sausage crumbles and the drippings, add the assortment of softened veggies, a small can of chicken stock, a can of cream of celery soup, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and sage to taste. I like more sage than my mom ever added. ;) Stuff your turkey, pour the rest into a greased caserole crock to bake for 45 minutes prior to dinner.

I really should make it more often than once a year. It's one of my favorite foods! I should add that I bake for DH's family, and it's a tiny crowd, so double or triple if necessary .

My family loves my Dad's stuffing. It is a simple recipe.

Toast 1-4 loaves of plain cheap white bread and cut up into cubes. Add chopped onion and celery. Add 1 stick of melted butter per loaf of bread. Add 1/2 cup milk for each loaf of bread. Mix it all together. Salt and Pepper to taste. I usually make it the night before and then my DH stuffs the turkey in the morning. What ever is left over we bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 mins or until hot. Best stuffing ever.

I buy the bags of basic Pepperidge Farm or whatever stuffing mix bags that are basically just bread cubes and seasonings. I prepare it with chicken stock (or bouillon), but I chop a lot of celery and onions and sautee them in butter first, then add everything else. I usually mix in eggs for binding, chopped pecans for crunch, and if I'm feeling fancy, I'll add carrots or crimini mushrooms to the sautee step.

For non-holiday stuffing purposes, I'm not ashamed of picking up a box of Bell's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!