Struggling with AK Dining Options

We have arranged for a driving service to bring us to the Poly from Portofino Bay. That said, I suppose we could still arrange to go to Boma in the morning.

Boma is definitely one if those “love it or leave it” places. We were so excited for breakfast there based on the reviews here and were disappointed it was basically the same thing as Tusker House (including many exact same dishes) without the convenient in-park location. And unless you are really really risers, it does not seem practical to drop bags off at the Poly, go to AKL, and still make it to AK before the park gets crowded.

I reserved the ROL dining package for Tiffins for 3:20 that day, which seemed a bit early.
I think with arriving at 9am - I would check in and grab breakfast at captain cooks. From there i would consider just a few snacks to tie you over until your tiffins reservation. Sometimes with a dining package the times you can get are limited - we did brown derby fantasmic package with a 3:50 reservation, but honestly at that point in the day it was a welcomed break - so look at it as that. You might need snacks later in the evening either in the park or back at the resort (which captain cooks is open 24hrs as far as i remember).

If you are going to scrap tiffins - Satuli (in pandora) is really good. I have also heard good things about flame tree but have yet to try it.

We have Park Hoppers and I was also considering venturing to DS or Epcot for a meal, but again our plan is to go back for the Rivers of Light show and I just see that as more of a headache
I usually recommend avoiding leaving the park to venture far -- you could possible eat at AKL (boma or sanna are very good options), but going to epcot or DS would likely eat into 2.5-3 hours of your day. Not worth it when you do have options close by.

This probably isn't a popular answer, but I would probably stop and have a sit down big breakfast before checking in. If you are on the regular dining plan I would save the credit for a different meal. If you stop and have a big breakfast then the kids would probably be okay waiting for the ROL package time and then just having a snack later in the night. I would consider Tusker ROL rather than Tiffins since you are on the regular plan.

Likewise, the ROL pkg at Tiffins requires 2 credits per person and I'm pretty sure that package cost is not $80. If you decide to do a TS breakfast AND the ROL pkg, you'll be using 3 of your TS credits all in one day, so you'll also probably end up paying OOP for some meals elsewhere.

True, the ROL package is $67/adult. But you can get way more than that value out of a ROL package meal (say charcuterie board at $17, surf and turf at $62, and desserts average about $10 = $89 and that doesn't count the alcoholic beverage you get with DDP).

So, just to give everyone an update, we did decide to upgrade to the deluxe dining plan. I know full well we won’t use all of the credits, but we both decided we prefer sit down meals for breakfast and dinner and have at least 3 signature meals planned for our trip. We are repeating CRT for breakfast because our boys loved it so much and are doing Flying Fish and Tiffins. I’m still on the fence about Tiffins, or if we should try one of the restaurants at the AKL for either breakfast or dinner?? I am realizing that it isn’t likely we will make our first day an early one and so will have to plan accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!