• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Strollers - rent or bring your own?

ttm999

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney in November. At that time my kids will be 3 and 5 1/2. We have one umbrella stroller. From what I've read it looks like I should plan on using a stroller for my older child too. We will be doing a 4 day park hopper. Would it be more advisable to rent a stroller on site each day? Buy another umbrella stroller before we go? What are the rental prices? We are camping at Fort Wilderness. Can you rent a double stroller? What are the prices? Is there a lot of problems with people stealing strollers?

I would appreciate any stroller advice and suggestions!

(This is my first post - hope I did it right!)

Tina

Hi! We are just back from WDW. My kids are 4 and 8. I think if I were you, I would bring your umbrella stroller for general use but rent a double when in the parks. The price is $15 for a double, and I believe it was $8 for a single. You get a Disney Dollar back when you turn it in. If you park-hop, they'll give you one at the next park too.

You might want to save money by renting a single in the parks and using your own as well, but here is what we thought. First, the walking is really overwhelming, even for an older child. Second, when we were in a big crowd, I knew both my children were safe in the stroller. Whenever my daughter (8) opted to walk, I kept having to look over my shoulder to make sure she was close by. A few times she wanted to walk and we made her ride, until we were at our destination, so we knew where she was. Finally, I don't know about your kids, but if we had 2 types of strollers, my darlings would fight about who goes in which type. SO for our crazy family, renting the double made the most sense.

The rental strollers are smooth and easy to push, have a canopy for shade, and have little net pockets in back for your stuff. I watch my budget at WDW but thought the strollers were worth every penny!

We like to bring our own, but our kids are much younger (DD 3, DS 1). They are pretty comfortable in the umbrella strollers we have.

When they get bigger we will probably rent. Umbrella strollers are awfully small for bigger kids to spend a lot of time in.

We brought our own last year and will do the same this year. Our son is just more comfortable in his own stroller. Plus going to the airport it is easier to push him as to carry him or chase him around.

Welcome to the DIS!

We're going to rent. Probably a double to keep the peace. DS is 7 and DD is 6. We just returned on Wednesday from a trip to Maine. On Tuesday, we hit Freeport for Mom's LL Bean fix for this year and the first thing out of DD's mouth when she got out of the car was, "my legs hurt." How can they hurt? You just sat in the car for an hour after waking up from 10 hours of sleep?!? I looked at my DH and said, "this is why we're using a stroller at WDW." He agreed. Plus, if our DD was the turtle in The Turtle and the Hare, the rabbit would have won the race even after his long nap.

Stroller = YES!
As for strollers being stolen, they are usually just moved by a CM. Make sure to bring a scarf or something else to tie onto the stroller so you can identify yours in a sea of strollers.

I always bring my own, more comfortable and it has the built in holder for cups and the big basket underneath too!

IMHO....Bring your own...there is alot...alot of walking that is NOT in the parks! Resort areas, parking areas..etc...Good luck!

My husband and I had this discussion too, and we decided to bring our own DD (3) will still need one in the parks even though she rarely rides in any other time, but we plan to do the Boardwalk one night and Downtown Disney. Also, if your flight arrives late (like ours did last year) we just put her in the stroller and rolled her right to the rental car, and then back in the stroller and right to the hotel room.

There is also a company in Florida that my family rented from called a baby's best friend. Their rates were reasonable and they dropped off the jogger/stroller at the hotel and picked it up at the end of our vacation. The only drawback is if you think you'll need one for getting around the airport.

Have a great time!

Originally posted by MAC3
There is also a company in Florida that my family rented from called a baby's best friend. Their rates were reasonable and they dropped off the jogger/stroller at the hotel and picked it up at the end of our vacation. The only drawback is if you think you'll need one for getting around the airport.

We've used A Baby's Best Friend, too, on 2 different trips. They were terrific about delivery and even made a special trip to pick up stuff early when we unexpectedly had to leave sooner than expected.

They are at www.ababysbestfriend.com I think.

How is it to take a stroller on the airplane? I was going to bring along one that we usually fold up and keep in the trunk. It does not appear to be as small as a umbrella stroller?

You can gate check it. You can bring it all the way up to the airplane door. They give you a card to reclaim it after the flight.

That way it's always with you except on the plane.

We always bring our own for these reasons:

To have a stroller at the airport
To have a stroller at DD or at resorts or parking lots etc...
Not to have to wait in rental lines
Not to pay for renting
More comfort for our DD's than the rentals.

We gate check a wheelchair, so I always like to add a little information about gate checking.
When you check in, ask about gate checking your stroller. They may give you a tag right then or tell you to contact the gate agent for the tag. The tag is a baggage tag for your stroller that gives special handling instructions.
I have seen people ask about gate checking as they are going thru the door to the jetway or just rolling the stroller to the gate and leaving it there. Not a good idea. You need to already have a gate check tag at the point of boarding. There is more chance for error if someone is quickly making out the tag as other people are trying to board around you.

You want to make sure the tag is marked for the correct flight or you may never see it again. If you have a connecting flight, make sure the tag is marked for what you want. Do you want it delivered to the gate at your connecting city or gate or baggage claim at your final destination? The tag usually has check boxes for these choices.

When you leave it at the gate, you need to fold it and make sure that everything is secure. Anything that sticks out (like a canopy) has potential to be broken or bent. If you don't fold it, the baggage person (who may not know how to fold your brand of stroller) will try to fold it. People have gotten strollers broken this way. Some people have posted that they put their stroller in a bag. Someone even made a sleeve that let the handles and wheels stick out so it was easy to move around and still protected. Make sure the gate check tag is still visible when you have finished with the stroller.

The last thing to remember is to pick up your stroller when you are leaving the plane. We are often the last people off and frequently see strollers sitting at the gate waiting for people who got off a long time before.

Hi Pumbaa_,

In 2001 we went to WDW with friends who have rented from them before so we rented a jogger for my daughter. It was brand new! A little awkward to push at first as we aren't used to using one.

It's an awesome thing to not have to stand in line for stroller rental, you don't have to worry about mixing it up in the stroller corral because it doesn't look like the rest of them. AT the end of the night when all children are exhausted you don't have to drag them out of the park walking.

It was the second time my friend had used them and she said the ones she rented have been brand new as well. Not to mention the convenience of having it dropped at your hotel and you just leave it when you go. They pick it up.

Have a great day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter