Strollers on planes?

Bexx

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if there is a maximum size and weight for a stroller if you are taking it on a plane. Do they only allow umbrella fold ones, or does anything reasonable go?

I've never seen a stroller allowed inside the cabin of a plane - we've always gate checked it. We leave DDs and luggage in the basket and walk down the jet way - pull them out at the door to the plane and collapse and leave it there. We always request it be there when we arrive and have not had any trouble yet (knocking on wood...).

Sorry to not be clearer. I just meant is there a restriction if you are checking it in with you suitcases?

I would not want to check my stroller in when I check my luggage (though I'm sure you could). It would get totally banged up. Keep your child in it - or when my does not want to sit in it it becomes a cart for our carry-on. When you are at the gate tell them that you want to gate check your stroller. You leave it at the bottom of the jetway and it get loaded under the plane after all the luggage has been thrown in. Now don't get me wrong - you can get your stroller damaged by gate checking it - but it is much less of a chance than if you checked it with your luggage.

We had a pretty big stroller when we flew, and plan to fly in 2 weeks. What happens is that you stroll the stroller right down till you get on the plane. THey will take it and put it in the cargo and
bring it back to you when you get off the plane. THey leave it
for you right out side where you come off the plane. I've even seen the double strollers too.

to answer your question, no I don't think so. We brought back a full sized Graco baby carriage from the States when I was pregnant, (they are about 1/2 the price over there) and they checked it through without question (and it was BIG and HEAVY, I only used it for a few months and got an umbrella one, live and learn...)

I have both gate checked, and checked with the luggage, and it doesn't seem to make any difference to the check-in staff. If you want to check it with the luggage and then you may well have to take it to the oversize luggage desk (where they deal with golf clubs, skis etc), which can be another queue to wait in, in which case we usually just take it to the gate instead (of course check with the desk that this is ok, but I've never had a problem)

If you want to take the stroller right onto the plane, there there are some very very tiny ones that I've seen folded up and put in an overhead locker, but to be honest, I wouldn't want to use one of those once I arrived at my destination.

Bev

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter