• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Strollers in Disneyland

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do so, but I will say that I've been to WDW and left my stroller at each ride with no problems. I've never seen or heard of others having their strollers disappear either.

I haven't brought my own stroller in as we've always found it easy to rent them, and I don't know for sure. However, I think it's frowned upon for fire code violation reasons and because CMs come along occasionally to straighten the strollers. As far as I know, there isn't a problem with thefts--not that I'm recommending it, but we've left our purchases in our stroller on many occasions and have never had anything stolen.

Just wanted to say that we as well have left our stroller in front of rides and attractions unlocked and there has never been a problem. We have even stores our stuff (including souvenirs) in it sometimes and it has always been left alone.

I wouldn't bother with a lock. We were there in September and have never had a single problem with the stroller. I can't imagine that locking it would be a good idea. Often, the strollers need to be moved or re-arranged and the lock would create more problems than it would solve. Tie a colourful scarf around the handle of your stroller so that you can spot it easily in the sea of stroller parking and you'll be fine!

You can't lock it to something. If you feel a need to lock it would would want to place the lock through the wheels then around the body or through the other wheels. That way no one can walk away pushing it, but if a cm needs to move it they can pick it up and do so. Strollers rarely disappear at DL.

I was worried about this before our trip in November, but it wasn't a problem. We were there for three days and never had a problem with the stroller. It had been moved a couple of times, probably by CM, but our stroller and bag were never bothered.

If you're worried about it, consider buying a cheap fold up umbrella stroller. That way if it gets stolen it's only about $10 and it's easier to haul around in your car or the airport.

Since we haven't been to Disneyland (or WDW) before: Do you think it's necessary to bring a 2nd/double stroller for an older child (5 - 7yo)?

I was reading stroller recommendations for an older child in the WDW 'With Families' section, and veterans said to definitely get either 2 strollers or a double stroller for two kids under 7. The reasons for this were the size of the park (older child WILL get tired!) and for help with carrying purchases.

We had already planned to bring our bigger stroller because it will hold the 5yo if he gets tired - The only time he would probably want to be in it is if he's exhausted, which I didn't think would happen until toward the end of the afternoon or in the evening. We are staying onsite, so plan to have purchases delivered to our hotel. We'll be returning to our hotel for naptime; and isn't DL/DCA smaller than WDW? Also, we'll be there for 7 days, so are expecting to go at a slower pace - We won't have to rush through the park to see it all in a few days.

I have a smaller, lighter stroller I could bring, we just didn't think it would be necessary... Wishful thinking?

Do you think it's necessary to bring a 2nd/double stroller for an older child (5 - 7yo)?
On our 2nd trip to disneyland dd was a month shy of 3 and ds just turned 6. We decided to bring along our double umbrella stroller and were very glad we did. Towards the end of the afternoon, ds would be tired from all the excitement and walking that he'd plop in the stroller and rest. Dh and I were able to manuever around the different lands quicker and easier with both kids in the stroller. We had an umbrella double stroller so it was easier to bring along on the train ride around the park. I guess it really depends upon you child. I've seen little kids who go hiking with their parents and have no problems with such long walks.

your stroller. I can't imagine it would be taken, but if you're worried, try joining your local freecycle.org and see if you can get a used stroller for the trip.

I didn't have an appropriate stroller for our trip last year. My younger son is way to big for an umbrella stroller, but his baby stroller wouldn't work because of the bar in front. I was given a used one...not pretty looking and I had to put a luggage strap on it to hold it closed...but it did the job! My thought was that if I decided it was too much trouble hauling it, I could always ditch it at the airport on the way back.

However, it did a great job and I hauled it home so we'll have it when we go on vacation this year.

I didn't have any issues with strollers at DLR like I did at WDW. They didn't move my stroller while I was at Disneyland...ever! It was always within a foot or two of where I left it. I never saw anyone skulking about the strollers, either.

Personally, the time it would take to lock and unlock a stroller (you'd be doing this probably 25 or 30 times in a day!) would drive me nuts...and I know my kids wouldn't stand still quietly after the first time or two!

We go to Disneyland at least twice a month with a stroller and have never had any problems. A few times it has been moved by a CM to make more room etc. but I have never worried about safety.

We've also never had a problem. When the girls were younger we would leave a fairly expensive stroller out and neve rhad a problem, and I often see *very* expensive strollers sitting outside of rides. I guess if you're going to steal a stroller you probably know which are the 'good' ones and you'll go with that $600 one rather then my $250 one, right :confused3

As far as strollers for older kids, I think that depends on what type of day you're planning to have. If you're doing an all day thing, possibly even letting 5YO sleep in the stroller while you and DH or older kids continue to enjoy the park into the wee hours of the night, I would definatly bring an extra. If you plan to walk back to the hotel the second 5YO starts to yawn, I don't think you need a stroller. Our girls are 5 and 6 and we do bring 1 stroller to store junk in :teeth: but only bring along a 2nd (and let a kid sit in the first :lmao: ) if we're pulling an all nighter. Otherwise, we're locals and take off the second someone starts to feel worn out.

Hmmm, definitely something to think about. We haven't really travelled with the two kids yet, and haven't ever been anywhere with the 5yo where a LOT of walking was required. He DOES get whiny and limp when tired, so I have changed my mind, and plan to take the 2nd stroller.

Our first day there we arrive on Sunday afternoon, so maybe we'll try that afternoon without it and see how it goes. That will be good test run, I think. The 2nd stroller may not be necessary in the mornings when he will be full of energy and we'll only be in the park a couple hours before lunch and toddler's naptime. Will definitely use it for a late evening (parade & fireworks.)

Thank you all for your help - I think you just saved us a lot of headache!

Through 9/30/06, Disney Visa cardholders get two free stroller rentals per day at DL and DCA! Plus there are lots of other benefits to having their card (like a cardholders-only character meet-n-greet with a free souvenier picture).

We went to Wal-mart when we got there and bought 2 umbrella strollers. One we bought was standard and the other we bought the one with the bag comp. at the bottom, it also had a drink holder and a sun visor. We only paid $20 for it and it was well worth the money. We just left the standard umb. stroller at the hotel with a FREE sign on it- it wasn't worth taking home- but definitely worth the money to use at DL.

I wouldn't bother locking a stroller, I'm not even sure it's allowed since the CM's need to move the strollers sometimes. I never leave my camera or purse on the stroller, but I've left the diaper bag, sweatshirts, etc. and nothing has ever been disturbed.

As for a stroller for an older child, yes, DL is smaller than WDW, but it's still a lot of walking for little legs, especially if you are going to be doing long days. Even if they can keep up, it's nice to be able to walk at your pace sometimes and not theirs, especially when out of the parks and going back to the hotel. I don't think an older child would need to ride in the stroller all the time, but it's nice to have it for when you need it. My dd will be 7 the next time we go to DL and I will probably bring one, just in case. I'm definitely bringing one to WDW next month when I take her for her 6th birthday. I just got back from DL a month ago with my 8yr old DS and while he was fine all through the day, and we did looonnggg days, 13-14hrs, by the time it was time to get back to the hotel, I wished I had a stroller for him! LOL, after all that time, I was wishing I had a stroller for me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter