Stroller recommendation?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
My daughter will be almost 9, but will still need a stroller. She is very small for her age at 45 lbs and 47.5". Do you think we can get away with a "regular" stroller? Should we upgrade to a larger special needs stroller, or just use the Disney one (which we did last time)?

She wont be in it all the time, but I would guess perhaps half the time. Her legs get sore very quickly, not to mention the crowds overwhelm her, so it gives her a place to "hide".

If you recommend a non Disney stroller, who do you recommend?

Yes just get a true jogging stroller like a BOB (that's what I have). My DD6 is about your daughters height and can fit in it just fine but it is a little right in the city mini gt we have (I also have DS1 so he’s the reason we still have strollers at home)... another recommendation is if you have a buy buy baby or another large baby store near you to go with your daughter and try them out to see what fits her the best. The final option I can think of is the keenz wagon strollers they are allowed since you can only push them and look quite nice. You can rent them as well.

https://www.mainstreetstrollers.com/

Please note I’ve never rented strollers so I can’t vouch for the company, providing the link just so you can see the wagon stroller option.

I'd rent one rather than use the Disney ones. I've heard good things about Kingdom Stroller.

I think you can get away with a regular stroller. Check out the stroller rental facilities' pages on the weight and height limits to be sure.

My opinion is probably different than most, but it is what it is.

To me, unless you're only going for a day or two, renting a stroller is a huge waste of money...doesn't matter if it's from WDW or Kingdom stroller. It's just a waste. I've also never understood spending $300, $400, $500 on any stroller for any reason. Guess I'm just cheap. You certainly don't want a $15 WalMart umbrella stroller, but any $60-$80 stroller will work just fine for your needs. Here's an example. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Baby-Tre...hguid=85bb1d32-f8b-16995a88da7dab&athena=true $80 including tax and you're all set. When you're done with it, sell it or even gift it to another guest at WDW. We bought a stroller used on Craigslist for $50, then when we were done sold it for $40. The weight limit is just for the manufacturer protection, you'll be more than fine with a 45lb child in it. When we last used strollers for our twins, they were definitely a good bit heavier than 45lbs each. We also strapped all of our food onto the back of it, which is heavy. I'd bet the entire load weighed well over 150lbs and we never had issues.

My opinion is probably different than most, but it is what it is.

To me, unless you're only going for a day or two, renting a stroller is a huge waste of money...doesn't matter if it's from WDW or Kingdom stroller. It's just a waste. I've also never understood spending $300, $400, $500 on any stroller for any reason. Guess I'm just cheap. You certainly don't want a $15 WalMart umbrella stroller, but any $60-$80 stroller will work just fine for your needs. Here's an example. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Baby-Tre...hguid=85bb1d32-f8b-16995a88da7dab&athena=true $80 including tax and you're all set. When you're done with it, sell it or even gift it to another guest at WDW. We bought a stroller used on Craigslist for $50, then when we were done sold it for $40. The weight limit is just for the manufacturer protection, you'll be more than fine with a 45lb child in it. When we last used strollers for our twins, they were definitely a good bit heavier than 45lbs each. We also strapped all of our food onto the back of it, which is heavy. I'd bet the entire load weighed well over 150lbs and we never had issues.

How was it height wise? That's our problem more than weight . I know some strollers really aren't that great for kids over 44"

It was fine. Certainly not something they'd want to sit in for hours on end, but to get from point A to point B in the park, they were fine. We removed the sun shade on top.

If the crowds overwhelm her and she likes to hide in the stroller, you probably want one with a decent canopy that will provide her with that hideaway. You might look at Orlando Medical Rentals - they offer both a "Strollers" category with your typical baby strollers as well as a "Special Mobility Strollers" category with some larger ones. We have used a Maclaren Major (owned not rented) when DD got too tall; the canopy is large, though it doesn't come down over the head like some other models.

Enjoy your vacation!

My 5 year old son is 45 inches and about 42 pounds. He jumped in his little sister's regular umbrella stroller last weekend at the zoo when he needed a break and she was walking. He fit just fine :-) It was a summer infant 3D lite stroller. About $60-90 on Amazon depending on when you catch it.

To me, unless you're only going for a day or two, renting a stroller is a huge waste of money...doesn't matter if it's from WDW or Kingdom stroller.

I can get that. Every family is different, and depending on your touring style, your agenda, the ages and abilities of your party, etc., a stroller can be totally unnecessary. For our family it is a complete necessity, though. Seriously, we couldn't spend more than 1-2 hrs a day in the park without one.

I've also never understood spending $300, $400, $500 on any stroller for any reason. Guess I'm just cheap. You certainly don't want a $15 WalMart umbrella stroller, but any $60-$80 stroller will work just fine for your needs.

I'm all for going with the most economical option that fits what you're looking for. The high end strollers tend to have features that some aren't looking for and/or don't need. Other people want those features and are willing to pay for it. If they're willing and able to shell out for an expensive stroller, more power to them, I say. We don't know what the OP's needs/wants are, so I don't think either of us can say what will meet them.

@mshanson3121, like I said earlier, I think you'll be fine with a regular stroller, but I wanted to mention that Kingdom Strollers has the Liberty stroller and Orlando Stroller Rentals has the Maclaren Major, both of which are for larger children. Kingdom has the best reputation, but as far as I can tell Orlando Stroller Rentals is perfectly reputable and generally (very) slightly less expensive.

We had a McClaren umbrella stroller till this last year for my 8 year old. I gave it to a young mom with a crazy toddler or I would still be using it. They retail 140. But I got my used for like 40.00 on cl. It was made of a net material so he did not get to hot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter