Stroller help for older child with foot injury (x-posted)

FourLeafClover

Earning My Ears
I can't believe I'm even asking about this, but my 9 year old has a foot condition that is flaring up right now that can make it painful for him to walk at times. We will be at WDW late next week and I am starting to worry that it won't be healed enough for him to walk comfortably for 5-6 miles a day all week.

Can I rent a stroller for an older child at WDW? I looked on the WDW site and it says single strollers are for 50 lbs or less (he is small for his age, but 60 lbs). I know he would be mortified to be in a stroller, but I can't imagine how else we will get around all week if he can't walk comfortably. (This is a kid who powered through 3 days in NYC with no complaints, but that was before this foot thing.)

Any advice on renting strollers at WDW or a rental service that we could rent one through that could deliver to our condo?

(I also posted to the Families board, but there too since this is the board I read the most and you always know all the answers to everything else!)

Thank you!

You could rent a wheelchair instead of a stroller. I think they're even at the same spot.

You could rent him a scooter and then he won't be embarrassed ... I would absolutely do that with a foot injury. They do have a larger stroller for handicapped children as an option too...

You could rent him a scooter and then he won't be embarrassed ... I would absolutely do that with a foot injury. They do have a larger stroller for handicapped children as an option too...
Scooters use is restricted to ages 18 & older.

I think you could rent the double stroller. It has a higher weight limit and it looks like a bench style seat that would work fine for one kid.

Do a wheelchair instead of a stroller. A 9 year old will not be comfortable inside the strollers. You cannot rent him a scooter on Disney Property. I'm not sure if most scooter companies even allow children on them, so I would research those companies if you want to go that route. You could bring a string or ribbon to tie to the wheelchair to make it easier to find.

If you plan to rent from WDW, make sure you ask for the multiple day tickets. You will get a little bit of a discount if you buy multiple tickets at once instead of just one per day. And if you don't use all of them, you can return them (as long as you have the receipt!)

I think you could rent the double stroller. It has a higher weight limit and it looks like a bench style seat that would work fine for one kid.
Nope. The double strollers are not taller, just wider. A 9 year old will have to crouch down inside of it and it will not be comfortable, especially for someone who has an injury.

Scooters use is restricted to ages 18 & older.

And don't even think about pretending to rent one for yourself and just have the kid ride on it when you walk away! Cast Members are told to watch out for this and you will not receive your deposit back!

I would never think of letting him in a scooter. I'm a rules follower, but even so they are really challenging to steer (my father had an electric wheelchair). A wheelchair would be preferable comfort wise and for his pride (but ultimately, he will do whatever it takes to get to the rides!).

A special needs stroller would also fit him size wise. I hadn't even thought of that.

I would never think of letting him in a scooter. I'm a rules follower, but even so they are really challenging to steer (my father had an electric wheelchair). A wheelchair would be preferable comfort wise and for his pride (but ultimately, he will do whatever it takes to get to the rides!).

A special needs stroller would also fit him size wise. I hadn't even thought of that.
Also, consider bringing a small pillow for the wheelchair. He can sit on it or use it as extra back support. Hopefully that will make him feel more comfortable.

And remember to take plenty of sit-down breaks throughout the day! He can get out of the wheelchair but still rest his foot.

How tall is he? My DD is 53" and 75lbs. We rented her one of the Disney double strollers one day and she was fine in it.

As an alternative, you might look which companies rent BOB strollers. He might be okay in one of those single strollers.

I'd rather rent one I'd have with me all of the time. Perhaps taking him to a store that sells the BOB strollers could help. And remind him he won't see anyone he knows!

Kingdom Strollers has a special needs stroller for up to 100 lbs. The city mini GT can be used up to 60 lbs.

I've got the same problem but with a 5"9, 150 lb 14 year old, so it looks like it might be wheelchair and crutches for us.

I've got the same problem but with a 5"9, 150 lb 14 year old, so it looks like it might be wheelchair and crutches for us.
Yeah, there's no way a 14 year old will fit inside a stroller. Kids past the age of 5 have difficulty fitting in comfortably. :joker:

Didn't realize scooters were 18+ but that makes sense. I'd say wheelchair is a good option!

He is about 53 inches and 60 lbs - little guy for 9. A knee walker won't work as it is both feet.

Wow, he's really little. My youngest son just turned 10 and he's 4'9" (maybe 4'10") and right around 100lbs. I'll go against the grain here and say to buy a stroller. To me, renting is a complete waste of money, unless it's a one or two day trip. Look on Craigstlist, you'll find an endless supply of jogging strollers, which have larger wheels. Your son will easily fit in one and it'll be ridiculously easy to push around. We used strollers for our kids until they were 8 or maybe just turning 9, and they're much bigger than your son (and have no medical issues). I don't regret it one bit, they fit just fine, and believe me when I tell you that your son won't be the only one that age in a stroller.

I read somewhere that a small adult spent some time in the double stroller and it wasn't that bad. I can't remember if the roof retracts, but being a smaller guy, I bet the double stroller would be great - and lots of room for other stuff.

My now 10 (almost 11) year old was a stroller rider for a long time - right up until he hit the 75lb limit on the city elite stroller. He was your sons size when he was 6 or 7 and often rode in one. (He is currently 62" and 110lbs!)

I would recommend the Summit X3 rental from Kingdom Strollers if you think that he would be able to rest his feet comfortably on it. It goes to 70lbs but is still maneuverable and folds up easily.

If the summit won't work, the special needs stroller from Kingdom would be a good choice - it may be more comfortable but it's going to be a harder to use and much more noticeable which he might not like.

I hope your sons condition improves before your trip! Even with a stroller, there is a lot of walking in lines and such!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!