Stroller for older kids

ctrimble

Earning My Ears
Smartest thing we did on this trip! Sons just turned 5 & 7 & didn't like the idea of being in a stroller but it was great! We couldn't have done everything we wanted to without them. We took advantage of FastPass (whoever thought that up is a genious!) & made several trips back & forth across the parks but it was worth it!

I totally agree! We used one for our then 5yr old last January, and will use one again this January. Holds off the melt downs because he doesn't have to use all of his energy just walking around the park!

I just wanted to point out for all the readers that it really depends on your kids. Last June we took my 6 yo DS and 3 yo DD for a week at WDW. We stayed at WL and didn't bring or rent a stroller at all. It was completely unnecessary. Sure they got tired some days, but we always took afternoon breaks of some type (hardly ever a nap though). DW and I were the ones who needed the stroller by the end of the week!!!! LOL What we DID do for two months before our trip was to walk a mile or more at least 3 times a week with the whole family. I think that really helped a lot.

Just take it at the kids' pace and all will be ok. If you want/need to powertour the parks, then by all means you will likely need your "child chariot".

I think using a stroller for kids is the best way to tour the parks. You can more done in a day with a stroller than w/o one!

I'm with KT on this one. You know your kids and I'm sure it depends on the season also.

We went last year in March with DD 4 yrs. and ended up pushing the stroller around MK all day. The only time she wanted to sit in it was at the very end when we returned it. For us the stroller was more of a pain. DD just wasn't interested in being in a stroller.

JN

I'm one voting against the strollers. I tried using one once, back before they were the HUGE monstrosities they are now, and not only was my child not interested, but I felt awful like I was taking up entirely too much space. It was very awkward overall, and I returned in within a couple of hours.

I have a seven-year-old and I guarantee you he would fall over from exhaustion before he would get willingly into a stroller! Although my 14-year-old would probably be willing (and would fit!)

but for us a stroller is an absolute must!!! My son is 5 1/2 and we use a stroller every year at WDW. First of all he has lazy legs and lags behind. Then he starts complaining that he wants to be held! NOT!!! This type of behavior is at our local mall after about 20-30 minutes. There is no way he could hold out at Disney. He gladly goes right into the stroller first thing in the morning. He rides in it all day long and hops right out at the ride queue. Not only that but we don't mosey through the parks. We are fast walkers (hubby, I and daughter) and like to get where we are going. I agree with Muffy, we get tons more done with a stoller than I know we would without one and we ones who likes to get the most touring possible for the time allotted. By the way this year we are taking the Maclaren Daytripper with us that way we roll up and he hops up instead of climbing out of our full size. Not to mention it's tons smaller and travel convenient. He weighs 42 pounds and is 42 inches tall. Stroller is the way to go!

We rented a double stroller for two of our girls (7 and 5 at the time). It was a life saver as they don't like to walk far and get tired easy. As my dh says most kids are defintely not marathon walkers.
We plan to rent one again for them ( will be 8 and 6) again. We won't go far without it otherwise.

People seem to get more frustrated with strollers and scooters on each trip. I think that the problem is the feeling that overall they make maneuvering the park significantly more difficult. Most people don't mind for those who are genuinely unable to get around without them. But they do resent them being used for anyone who gets a bit tired, or my favorite, using them to carry their jackets, packages, etc. around the park!

I have heard a lot of grumbling on this trip relating to both, particularly scooters. This huge group came into a show at starting time, and several of the women in it had a screaming fit because the CM would not let all of them sit in the very front with the family member in a scooter. Interestingly, the family member in the scooter was able to get into a regular seat with no difficulty after it was said and done. Not sure why they felt so entitled to bypass the lines for the best seat for all 8-10 of them. The sad thing is that some of it may inadvertently be directed at somewho who really CAN'T get around on their own two legs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter