Stroller for almost 9 yr old and a 6 yr old?

I agree that WDW is not the same as walking a shopping mall but still can not believe a nine year would need a stroller. I'm not even sure a standard stroller is made to haul a nine year old. I know from experience that we'd have to force our nine year old in one, tired or not. Seriously a child of that age is in fourth grade and is more than capable of walking an amusement park. If this requires more breaks, so what? I do agree that a family must do what is right for them but come on, a stroller for a nine year old.. I just can't agree with it.

As has been said many times in similar threads, everyone should do what works for their family and shouldn't be concerned if someone else agrees or not. Some people make their kids walk WDW at age 3. I wouldn't, but it's not my kid, so they do whatever works for them.

And pretty much any stroller bigger than the $15 Wal-Mart special is more than capable of hauling them.

I'm not necessarily advocating for or against, as it's a personal decision. My point is that I don't see anything wrong with letting an 8 year old use one at WDW. YMMV

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will probably just wing it and if one is needed, I will have my car, so I’ll go get a cheap one. My 8 yr old is very tiny actually. However, I think she will be fine. My 6 yr old son on the other hand is the big complainer! Lol! But he will have to deal unless he honestly can’t! To each their own I guess!

I have two points as to why I would think it would be ok to get a stroller.
1. I like the stroller for rope drop and close. There are too many people who are not looking where they are going and having them in the stroller provides a little security to keep them from being stepped on or lost.
2. It provides a place to store snacks, SPF, ponchos, etc. without carrying a large backpack

We like to bring the stroller in and then park it somewhere centeral I the park. My kids will spend almost the entire day walking, but the stroller is there incase we need something stored there or for any other reason. I think a 6 and 9 year old should be able to walk around the parks without a stroller but if you can think of good reasons why a stroller would benefit you and your family there I no problem bringing one.

Could you imagine though if every family coming into the park brought a stroller just to store their stuff? Omg. You would not be able to move in the parks. Please don’t bring one just to put your backpack in. They are for babies. :laughing:
My kids at 6 and up never had a problem with rope drop or getting lost. We have been at DL for rope drop well over 100 times with kids in that range and I never felt like they would be safer in a stroller. If anything it is annoying because you cannot move quickly through the crowd. People just step over you.

Could you imagine though if every family coming into the park brought a stroller just to store their stuff? Omg. You would not be able to move in the parks. Please don’t bring one just to put your backpack in. They are for babies. :laughing:

But they don't, so?? In fact, we're one of the very few who do, but we have more than a backpack (our food bag is very large and heavy). Most people who have gear in their stroller usually have young kids that may just be walking sometimes, so the parents put stuff in the stroller. I have no issue with that.

But they don't, so?? In fact, we're one of the very few who do, but we have more than a backpack (our food bag is very large and heavy). Most people who have gear in their stroller usually have young kids that may just be walking sometimes, so the parents put stuff in the stroller. I have no issue with that.

There are lockers provided for this purpose. IMO a stroller brought just for stuff and not a kid is basically now just a wagon. And wagons aren’t allowed. If you have too much to carry, place it in a locker where it is safer anyways.

2. It provides a place to store snacks, SPF, ponchos, etc. without carrying a large backpack

We like to bring the stroller in and then park it somewhere centeral I the park. My kids will spend almost the entire day walking, but the stroller is there incase we need something stored there or for any other reason.

But you have to take your stuff with you on the attractions, don't you? Or someone will take it, or the squirrels will get into it.

There are lockers provided for this purpose. IMO a stroller brought just for stuff and not a kid is basically now just a wagon. And wagons aren’t allowed. If you have too much to carry, place it in a locker where it is safer anyways.

Yep, that's exactly right. It functions just like a wagon, but wagons aren't allowed, so we use a stroller. Even if wagons were allowed, I think we'd still use a stroller, much easier. We normally don't drag it around with us, we park it in stroller parking and leave it until we're ready to eat. I really don't see the issue.

Yep, that's exactly right. It functions just like a wagon, but wagons aren't allowed, so we use a stroller. Even if wagons were allowed, I think we'd still use a stroller, much easier. We normally don't drag it around with us, we park it in stroller parking and leave it until we're ready to eat. I really don't see the issue.

The issue is that you are taking up space that someone who is using their stroller to push a baby or young child actually needs. Yes, you are only one person, but if even a fraction of people who came in the park without a stroller aged child did that, it would make things very difficult for those of us who do have a baby/child who really needs a stroller. I just think it is a little discourteous to parents of young children who need their stroller for their child. Lockers are provided for bags you don’t want to carry. Stroller parking is intended for parents with children riding in them.

I’m kind of surprised security allows people to bring in strollers when they don’t have children in them, with all of the other precautions they take and items not allowed.

Last edited:
Having a stroller in WDW is annoying especially once you're used to not having one in every day life. You always have to park it and then back track after the ride to pick it up. This usually involves walking upstream through massive amounts of people. We haven't had a stroller since my oldest was 6, youngest 3 and it's been so nice! If they get tired they find somewhere to sit or we get a snack etc.

Skip the stroller you'll be glad you did!

We have used the lockers to store our outfits for MNSSHP and when our kids were younger an extra outfit in case of an emergency. I'm sure it would make lines into the parks move a lot quicker if strollers were used only when needed. I can understand taking a backpack to carry snacks but if you leave your stroller in one place could you not just store your goodies in a locker? They sell insulated bags that keep food cool versus hard coolers. I'm really not trying to pick and admit I was a little nervous to go on our first trip without one but I soon realized it was so much easier. We actually saved a little time as we exited rides with no need to hunt for ours.

The issue is that you are taking up space that someone who is using their stroller to push a baby or young child actually needs. Yes, you are only one person, but if even a fraction of people who came in the park without a stroller aged child did that, it would make things very difficult for those of us who do have a baby/child who really needs a stroller. I just think it is a little discourteous to parents of young children who need their stroller for their child. Lockers are provided for bags you don’t want to carry. Stroller parking is intended for parents with children riding in them.

I’m kind of surprised security allows people to bring in strollers when they don’t have children in them, with all of the other precautions they take and items not allowed.

There are a lot of "if"s in there. If everyone brought strollers in...but they don't, so the if's are sort of irrelevant. Sorry if you find it discourteous, I don't agree at all and I don't see how it's discourteous. WDW is a massive place. It's not like everyone is squirming to get around and it's just a massive sea of humanity (unless you're talking about MK during fireworks). Yes, they have lockers, but they're inconvenient and a pain, so we choose not to use them. Our bag is soft sided, but quite large. We don't want to leave it in a locker somewhere and then have to lug it all the way across the park if that's where we're eating. Much easier to just have it in a stroller. WDW doesn't have any issue with it, in fact I can't tell you how many times CMs and security have commented to us what a smart idea it is. Works for us.

I think you need to do what works for your family, and not worry about anyone else. If you think you would all benefit from a stroller, use one. If it will be a hassle, don't use one. When planning what I need for a day in the parks the last thing in my mind is "what would other people on the Dis think about my using this?" If it makes my day better, it goes with me.

I will say there was one trip I ended up renting a stroller for my 7 year old niece. And it wasn't because she couldn't walk, but because she walked like a snail. After trying different things from me walking with her and ending up way behind the rest of the family, to encouraging her, to her dad getting a bit snappy about it, I rented a stroller.

After spending thousands on a vacation I wouldn't ruin it by worrying about what others think. If anyone judges you for having a stroller, that says more about them than it does you, imho.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter