Stroller for almost 9 yr old and a 6 yr old?

deedeew80

Dreaming of My Prince
Hi everyone! We have a trip coming up at the end of November. My daughter will be almost 9 at that time and my son 6. Should I plan on renting a stroller? We went in 2015 when they were 5 & 3 and we had a double stroller. They were kind of in and out of it, especially the 5 yr old. Currently they don't ever ride in a stroller. However, they always complain about walking! Lol! My 6 yr old is almost as big as my 8yr old, so I don't know if they would even be too big for a stroller. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks!

I wouldn't but there are plenty of people on these boards who would. Why not let your kids know now that they will be doing a lot of walking when you go in November and start to build up their endurance by going on longer and longer family walks? We always planned our days to minimize crossing back and forth in the parks, planned meals in the vicinity of our FP+, used meal times as a nice break, stayed hydrated and took our time whenever possible.

My 9 year old would kill me if I brought a stroller for her lol.
I don’t think there is anything on the market for kids that big other than special needs strollers. Even a 6 year old is above most weight/height limits to be safe in them.
They are more resilient than you give them credit for ;-) Start taking family walks now to get them fit if they aren’t in any type of sport, and plan to take breaks when you need to. We also minimize walking and plan rides close together. The excitement of being there will likely outweigh any annoyance with walking once they see the reward!

Hi everyone! We have a trip coming up at the end of November. My daughter will be almost 9 at that time and my son 6. Should I plan on renting a stroller? We went in 2015 when they were 5 & 3 and we had a double stroller. They were kind of in and out of it, especially the 5 yr old. Currently they don't ever ride in a stroller. However, they always complain about walking! Lol! My 6 yr old is almost as big as my 8yr old, so I don't know if they would even be too big for a stroller. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks!

You can rent one later on in the day/trip if you need to. I think it would be pretty taxing to push a nine year old in a stroller though.

When my boys were 4 (almost 5) and 7 we brought the stroller and took it one day to the park. My youngest preferred to walk like everyone else so we never used it again that time. Now, I have friends that have taken strollers and used them for their older children. It is really a personal choice. I agree with DisneyOma, you always have the option to rent one later if needed. Or if you have one already you could always bring it but try without first. I think they will be just fine. We always add time during the afternoon to do relaxing type activities (i.e. shows, meals or longer rides). Good luck!

Last trip mine were 4, 6 and 8. We rented a double in the park for some of the time. Thry all 3 used it some. I liked it bc it was bigger, lower to the ground, and they could hop in and out. A more "babyish" stroller would not have worked.
We go in 2 weeks and they are 6, 8 and 10 and we do not plan on getting one.

Personally, I would not get one in advance if I were you. In bigger parks if you get desperate, rent one there.

Thanks everyone! I think they will be fine as well. They do lots of walking other places we go to and are fine. Just was curious to see how others tackle the parks with kids. They will be so excited to be there anyway like a few of you said. Thanks for your suggestions!

DD7 walked on our last trip and never complained and we spent 10+ hrs in the parks on the days we went. What worked for us was alternating between park days and water park or pool days so we could alternate between a lot of walking and a little less walking.

A stroller for a nine year old, never. Unless there is a medical issue forget a stroller and enjoy your trip.

I'll go against the grain and say there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. We had ours in them until they were 8, going on 9. It's got nothing to do with "Unless there is a disability, they must walk", that's just nonsense talk, IMO. Walking around at home, in a shopping mall or anything like that is not remotely close to walking WDW for days. It can wear out even the most fit adults...DW and I are more fit than 99% of adults, and even we get tired at times...and we're not commando touring people. So we didn't think twice about using a stroller for the kids and know we made the right choice for us.

My daughter who is 9 in a few weeks killed it at the parks for a week straight without one complaint. My almost 11 year old, on the other hand.... :) I definitely wouldn't get a double, but the younger may need one on occasion depending on your pace. Personally I'd just make them walk because not having a stroller was amazing, but depending on their personality it may not hurt to know you may need one for a longer day or two.

I don't think I'd go with a double, simply because it'd be too heavy at those ages! But I think it's fair to want something, just in case. I know my 7 year old wouldn't be able to make it (not without a lot of complaining!) ... I heard someone on a podcast recently suggest bringing an inexpensive stroller and parking it at the front of the park somewhere and then grabbing it later in the day, if needed. Just remember to grab it at the end of the day! I think I'd try that and see how they do ... or just remember that you CAN rent a stroller at the parks as a last resort. I know they're not comfortable, but that is an option to consider.

I'll go against the grain and say there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. We had ours in them until they were 8, going on 9. It's got nothing to do with "Unless there is a disability, they must walk", that's just nonsense talk, IMO. Walking around at home, in a shopping mall or anything like that is not remotely close to walking WDW for days. It can wear out even the most fit adults...DW and I are more fit than 99% of adults, and even we get tired at times...and we're not commando touring people. So we didn't think twice about using a stroller for the kids and know we made the right choice for us.
I agree that WDW is not the same as walking a shopping mall but still can not believe a nine year would need a stroller. I'm not even sure a standard stroller is made to haul a nine year old. I know from experience that we'd have to force our nine year old in one, tired or not. Seriously a child of that age is in fourth grade and is more than capable of walking an amusement park. If this requires more breaks, so what? I do agree that a family must do what is right for them but come on, a stroller for a nine year old.. I just can't agree with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter