Stroller for 8 & 6 yr old?

deedeew80

Dreaming of My Prince
Hi all! We are planning a trip for the end of August of next year. My kids will be DD8 & DS6 when we go. I don't need a stroller for them do I? We went in 2015 and I got a double stroller, but only my son, 3 at the time really used it. Every now and then my daughter, 5 at the time would get in. I'm thinking I don't really need one. If, after, the first day or 2 we realize we need one, am I able to rent one from Kingdom strollers or whatever at last minute? TIA!

Nah. We went to DL back in January and they were DD was almost 7 and DS just turned 5 at the time. No stroller needed. Our busiest day we walked 10 miles according to my iPhone. Good sneakers and socks are key.

We rented a stroller for WDW March 2016 trip and used it 1 day it sat in the room the rest of the time. DS was 4 and DD just turned 6 at the time and did fine without it that trip as well.

Worth noting though, we break for a 'siesta' in the middle of our days, so they take naps and recharge.

"Need"? No. Would you want one? That's up to you. We used them until our kids were 8 or 9 and I have zero regrets. Our kids are athletes, play sports year round. However, WDW is massive beyond massive. On a long trip, it's an insane amount of walking. We would very much rather have them be energetic and excited than dragging their feet and exhausted after a few days. Trust me, they weren't the only ones that age in strollers, not even close. Plus, it was great exercise for DW and I.

Make your own decision, don't let anyone else tell you that they do or don't need one. If you want to use it, don't feel embarrassed or bad, do it. If you don't need one, then great.

No, you won't need it. Unless you plan on pushing your kids beyond their limits. Take breaks, slow down, stop and have a snack--everyone needs that here and there. Parents who insist on going park open to park close every day without a break, rushing from one thing to the next, that's where strollers for older kids are needed.

In April my boys were 4 and almost 8. The 4 year old used the stroller about half the time but we usually leave by 2 and only went back 1 night and left around noon earlier that day. We plan on going this coming April as well (5 and almost ) and will have a stroller only because we will also have a 5 month old. I imagine the 5 year old may use it a little while we are wearing the baby. I feel confident that by age 6 the youngest would not need it and would do just fine unless you are going open to close.

I would wait until you get there and see how it goes. DS used a stroller at WDW far longer than he used one at home. When he was a month shy of 6, I rented a stroller and he refused to sit in it! LOL!

Nope. Mine have all gone without a stroller when they were younger than that. We were just there in July at 8,8, and 6 with no stroller (and they were those ages when we were there in December of last year) with no issues. I'm one of those after 5 - maybe 6 (unless there is a medical reason) a kid doesn't need to be in a stroller. I'm out of shape and closer to needing a scooter than they are a stroller.

At those ages I wouldn't rent one ahead of time. Wait and see how they do and if they really seem to need one rent one at the parks. Going without one is so freeing!

We went end of August last year and I rented 1 for my then 5 1/2 yo. We barely used it. We took it with us the last 2 nights and that's when she used it. So this year, we are going for 10 days, end of August and I rented a stroller for the last 3 days. Well worth the $60 for her to sit when she needs it and we don't have to carry her. You know your kids best.

Heya. I'm going next week with our 6 yo. After a lot of debate we decided to rent a stroller. I wouldn't want her to be too tuckered out at a massive park like Epcot. She's a dancer and gymnast too so she's not shy about exercise, but maybe better to be safe than sorry.

Since it's the sameish age and time of year I'll let you know if it was worth it or a waste of $$$.

Thank you everyone for all the advice! I think I'm just going to see how it goes. If I need to get one while I'm there I will. Thanks again!

We are here now with a 6 year old - no stroller. She has not asked to have a stroller or never complained about been tired.

Also, those stroller rental places- we use Baby Wheels Orlando - are very flexible and don't need much notice at all. We booked ours in advance (for a 3 y.o.)but they advertise same-day availability.

The only thing reason you might want one is if your 6 year old naps, or conks out early since it beats the heck out of carrying a sleeping child who is much heavier than a baby.

I used one a year ago for my 6 year old niece. She still fell asleep in it in the afternoons at times and in the evenings often. She slept right through the Halloween party fireworks in the stroller while the rest of us (me and 2 boys 9 and 14) enjoyed then and the rest of the evening until about 11:00.

It also carried all of our junk. water bottles, snacks, a blanket, a few hoodies, souvenirs. I didn't want to carry all of that. My niece has many severe food allergies so it is better for s to bring our own snacks but a pain to carry them. When we weren't using it-which was a lot- we left it parked somewhere near by.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!