Stroller for 5 year old (almost 6)?

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
DD says she wants us to bring her stroller because she doesn't want to do all the walking! Grr..I was really hoping not to have to bring our stroller. Thoughts?

We wouldn't be without ours, he isn't allowed one at home (that's how old he is!), but it stops any moaning when we criss-cross the parks for fastpasses/ADRs, he can watch something while riding in it, and we hang/store layers/drinks etc on it too. It's a win win for us.

There have been many threads on this and I think you will hear people on both sides of this argument. For us, we slowed things down a bit but stopped using a stroller by the time DD turned 5. If she wanted to go to the parks, she knew she had to walk. We would take breaks whenever it was needed and that was good for all of us.

You have to ask yourself this: Are you ready to go at her pace, no matter how slow, and take breaks if she needs them? Or would you be happier pushing her in a stroller?

That is what it comes down to.

^^^

To that I'd add when she gets tired how do you feel about carrying her for hours?

We survived years of dirty looks for stroller use for a kid(until she was 11) with joint issues who didn't want to be seen being pushed in a wheelchair.

You have to ask yourself this: Are you ready to go at her pace, no matter how slow, and take breaks if she needs them? Or would you be happier pushing her in a stroller?

That is what it comes down to.
Stroller it is. Thanks!!

We rented an outside stroller for DD when she was 6. She didn't use it much but it was great to have when she did use it. Went back at age 8, she did not ask for one and did fine. Our pace isn't go-go-go but I have CP so we do have to take it a bit slower.

DD just turned 6 and she fell asleep in our stroller friday night as my husband and I leisurely closed down Magic Kingdom. We wouldn't do a big park like MK without one. We do occasionally do HS without it, depending on our plans.

Plus: Cup holders/storage :D

I took my 6 y/o DD to MNSSHP 2 weeks ago and around 9p she was DONE -- but her older sisters were not. It was a girls trip, so no DH to help. So, we walked over to the stroller rental and got a double stroller (for free-- the CM said since the night was almost over she wouldn't charge us) DD hopped right in and fell asleep. After about an hour long power nap she was ready to go again!

I won't bring one to use all day every day, but I enjoy having the option to rent one in the park if needed.

I too have an almost 6 yo... I think we will be bringing one for any criss-crossing of the park, but leaving it in stroller parking in each "land" rather than moving from space to space.

We had a nearly 6 and nearly 2 yo on this last trip. We clearly needed a stroller for the toddler, so decided to just rent a double city mini and be done with it. YDD wants to do everything her big sister does, but we would not have made it anywhere if we let YDD walk. ODD got to walk a lot, but she was also old enough to understand that sometimes we needed to get to dinner/FP quickly, and she'd sit and ride for a while. She is a great walker at home and very strong, but WDW is big and at the end of the day, it was often easier for all to get the kids in the stroller for some quieting down time on the way back to the room. We are going again in Feb and she'll be 6.5. I get the sense that she will not want a stroller, and that is fine. But if she does want one, we will gladly rent a double for the kids. (And both girls enjoy the novelty of a side-by-side double, so that my be part of it, too.)

There are many threads on this if you want to do a search for stroller or strollers. Or even just scroll down on this board. LOTS of opinions! We were glad we had a stroller for our 5 yo. I'd bring it. ;) Just because you bring it doesn't mean that you have to use it for every park day &/or that you have to use it the whole time you're at a park.

I was questioning whether to do a stroller or not for our DD who will be almost 6 when we go in April 2018. She is full of energy and can go quite a bit, but decided that we will rent one from Kingdom Strollers and have it delivered to us. DH had to carry her at the end of our days at local amusement parks. I want us all to enjoy our days and nights, with minimal whining. Plus...storage for bags and snacks :smooth:

My thought is that you get to make the decision. :) We had a child who complained about walking even to the mailbox. He complained about all walking. Then we went to Disney/Universal and told him we would stay in the parks as long as the kids could handle it. He made sure he wasn't the reason we left and didn't complain about walking at all! We worked him hard too! (He had one younger sibling in a stroller and another in the sling. He was big for his age so he was over the 50lb weight limit of our stroller so taking turns with the 3 year old in the stroller wasn't an option).

We had another child who wanted to stroller. That child has sensory issues so we really needed the stroller for him when he was 5 despite our other two kids being fine without at that age. But, at 6, we thought he likely could handle it emotionally without. We packed the stroller in the car and didn't tell him. He did fine without. He did realize we had it at the very end of our trip but it was too late for him then. Had he known the stroller was an option, then it would have been a fight. If I had been flying and couldn't sneak it in, then I would have budgeted money for a rental just in case.

*I'm basing my response on your Grrrr and your hoping you didn't need to use one. I'm reading that as you had thought you could get away without one - which means you likely can.

Going down in December and my daughter will have just turned 8. Leaving husband at home as this is just a Mommy/daughter trip. I am getting a stroller, just because I cannot carry her anymore. LOL

I alway prefer a stroller. even if a kid isn't riding in it our snacks can! but between two kids at least one of them is in it most of the time and I don't find it that much of a hinderance to deal with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter