Stroller as a wheelchair question

Dis703

DIS Veteran
I tried to search the FAQs, but didn't find an answer. I'm just wondering if the stroller as a wheelchair tag is only for mobility issues or if they would issue it for a child on the Autism Spectrum with sensory issues?

Just trying to think of any ways I can make this mommy and me trip with my 6 year old a little easier for him.

TIA

Yes, that is very common. Many kids like to have the stroller as a “retreat” away from stimulation.

Enjoy your vacation!

Just rember the tag only works while in WDW so it will not work for buses (!he can stay in it in line). But I know a few that get it for this resign

This is the ‘stroller as wheelchair’ information that was hiding from you.

My child doesn't have a wheelchair, but needs to stay in the stroller. Is this allowed?
Strollers are not usually allowed inside buildings or in most queues, but can be if needed for a disability.
Guests using a stroller as wheelchair do not need DAS unless they have needs that are not met by having a stroller in line.
Some children require a stroller because they can't walk or just need to 'security of the stroller to help calm or help contain them in line. Some children have a special needs stroller that looks a lot like a regular stroller and could easily be mistaken for a regular stroller.
To use a stroller in lines, you will need a sticker tag from Guest Relations that allows the stroller to be used as a wheelchair.
A tag may be necessary even with large special needs strollers - in the past, most people who needed these owned them. An Orlando company started renting them out in 2008 and people have been renting them for their older children without disabilities who don't want to walk. Because of this, they may no longer be recognized as "Special Needs Strollers" without the sticker.
With a 'stroller as a wheelchair', you will be able to:
    • take the stroller in all lines and buildings, even if strollers are not usually allowed
    • use wheelchair entrances. Few attractions have actual 'wheelchair entrances.' Since most lines are wheelchair accessible in the regular line to the point of boarding, you will usually be in the 'regular' line. (see post 11 of this thread).
    • use the stroller until boarding. The child may need to be removed to board a ride, but you can leave the stroller at the boarding area. You won't need to fold it, but should take anything of value.
    • use the stroller in shows and sit in the wheelchair seating areas. The child may need to get out of the stroller and sit on an adult's lap if the stroller seat is too low. Most shows have limited numbers of wheelchair spots, so wheelchair spots are sometimes filled before other seats are filled.
    • use wheelchair areas for parades. Wheelchairs and strollers are usually parked very close together across the front of the viewing area. If your child needs to be away from others, this may not work for you, or you may need to park behind the front row to get more space. Areas sometimes fill quickly, so arrive early.
If you have a park rental stroller, you will need a new sticker each day. If it is your own OR AN OUTSIDE RENTAL stroller, the sticker will be dated for the length of your stay.

I am hoping to do this for my 2yr old with CP as she can’t walk. I’m looking at renting a stroller, nothing huge needed. Does Disney give recommendations on stroller width size to be able to fit in queue lines? As I was at DL a month ago and the lines were very narrow. I don’t want to not be able to fit.

I am hoping to do this for my 2yr old with CP as she can’t walk. I’m looking at renting a stroller, nothing huge needed. Does Disney give recommendations on stroller width size to be able to fit in queue lines? As I was at DL a month ago and the lines were very narrow. I don’t want to not be able to fit.
The wheelchair guideline size is 30 inches wide by 48 inches long.
Most strollers are within that size, even double strollers.

do not compare lines at Disneyland with the lines at World. most lines at World can take ECVs and wheelchairs which have to use different loading at Disneyland. I do not see you having a problem with this but remember as others have said this does not help with buses or trams

I just wanted to pop back in and say that we did end up using the stroller as a wheelchair for most of our trip and it was such a significant help! Especially since it rained for all 3 park days and he hates the feeling of getting wet. So with the stroller cover on we were able to avoid parking outside the attractions and walking in the rain. He also asked for it when we went to see the Village People because he wanted to use his noise cancelling headphones (also new for us and helps him tremendously) but he was anxious about people seeing him with them on so I brought it in and he was pretty chill for the entire show. We are not newbies to the park at all and have utilized the DAS in the past, but I'm so glad I read about this here. It was honestly one of our best trips yet and he did so well.

Thanks again for the responses!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter