stroller advice for 5 yr old & 18 month old

Tiffanie

Mouseketeer
We are travelling to Disney in February 2003 with a 5 yr old and an 18 month old. Any advice on strollers for the trip? The 5 yr old doesn't use one at home, but I know he will need a break on at the parks. We do not own a double stroller, but may buy one for this trip. We will also be travelling with our nephew, who will be 2 then, should we maybe use a double stroller for the two little ones, maybe rent a stroller at the parks for the 5 yr old if needed?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Our DS' are the exact same age as your kids. We brought a small stroller with a basket and sunshade from home for our 18 mo old (indespensible in airports, hotels, etc.) and were surprised that we needed to rent a stroller for our 5 year old for each park. A kind soul gave us theirs as they were leaving on our first day, and so we had a freebie and were hooked. It is simply too much walking for a 5 year old.

So....I would rec bringing two or renting one. Having one for your 18 month old off site is a must....bring at least one from home.

HTH....

A double side-by-side stroller would be great for the little ones; that's what we do. If you have lots of adults, then also bring one for the 3rd child.

Here's a good side-by-side I just found:
StrollerDepot.com

We will be in WDW with our 4 year old and 10 month old in September. We were considering a double stroller, but thought a tandom stroller would be too enclosing for the rear seat, and a side-by-side would be too wide for many of the doors. Anybody have comments on this.

We are also thinking of bringing our smaller umbrella-like stroller and renting one for our 4 year if needed.

:smooth: :crazy: :earseek: :earseek:

We have a double side by side jogging stroller by InStep that we've used on two WDW trips and various others. I bought it two years ago from the website below, and here's a link to a similar one, actually I think it's still the same model as ours:

http://www.strollers4less.com/proddetail.cfm?CFID=1400508&CFTOKEN=66372757&ItemID=84&CategoryID=6

Anyway, I bought the aluminum one because it is lighter (I think by about 10-15 lbs?) than many of the other models and these double strollers are not the most convenient when folded up and loading on a bus/tram etc. However we usually drive our own car to the parks, my DH is with me to handle the stroller, and it's worked well for us. I can handle it myself when I need to, it folds down easily. You can use the handicapped cars on the monorail (that's where the cm will direct you) and roll it right on. I haven't had a problem with getting through doors but it isn't great for the smaller shops with not as much room to get around things, we leave it outside.

I really like this stroller, it's worked for us but it's not as easy as a single obviously. I have kids that are 4 yrs apart (20 mos and 5 on our last trip) and it will hold them both well. Jogging strollers handle differently than regular ones, I took a look at some at a babies r us store before ordering one to make sure I liked it ok.

Hope this helps. My kids are sitting in this stroller in the pic below :)

We are consdiering buying a Sit and Stand stroller for our next trip. We tried two singles and our double. Both had problems...

The two single stollers were a pain because our three YO likes to walk a lot, so your trying to keep up with her while pushing a stroller.... It was empty more than full..... yet we still had to lug it around.

The double was okay, (Graco Duo Glide.... fondly called THE BEAST) but hard to load up on trams, trains, etc Very bulky.....

SOoooooooooooooo

I think the Sit and Stand stroller would work for us.... smaller than our Graco, yet big enough to hold both girls.
The rear seat isnt large and you cant recline the front seat when your toddlar is sitting on the bench.... but our kids dont nap in their stollers so that isnt a big issue for us.

I would count on your 5 year old needing a stroller at some point. The advantages of having your own stroller as appose to renting one is.... the walk from your car to the tram.... Some days it could be a hike.....

Keep us posted on your decision!!!

We had two regular sized, reclining strollers for our 2 and 4 year olds and didn't regret it at all. Not only were both boys able to recline and sleep at the same time, but they both had trays for their snacks, my husband and I both had trays for OUR drinks, and we had TWO baskets underneath to hold all of our stuff! None of us would have been happy with a double stroller, umbrella strollers, or rented strollers (they do not recline).

We are also travelling with 3 children ages 5, almost 3, and 1 and we really struggled with this decision.

I really wanted the baby to have his own stroller, it's lightweight, fully reclines, and has a sunshade, tray and storage basket. I somethimes use a double side by side for the 2 youngest at home but if I brought that we would have to bring a separate one for the 5 year old (he's too big to sit in the double). I know he will need a stroller but I don't think he will use it all the time and we didn't want to be stuck pushing around an extra/empty stroller all over the place. We don't want to rent because we are on a budget and we are driving so it will also be used going back and forth to the car.

So, here's what we decided. We are bringing the 1 year old his own and are bringing a Sit & Stand for the others. (Laurabearz, we think alike!) We are borrowing it from a very generous friend just for the trip. My 2 year old will be able to ride all day and the 5 year old can sit and ride whenever he wants and when he's walking there is no extra carriage to worry about. I'm hoping this will work out well for all of them.

The cost of renting can really add up but double strollers can also be very pricey, especially if your 5 year old won't use it other than at Disney. Good luck with the decision and have a great time planning your trip!!

You might want to look into something like a Buggy Board that can attach to your current stroller.

Just went in May of 2002, with my almost 2 yr old and almost 5 yr old. I bought a Kolcraft double wide umbrella stroller from Target for $54.00. We like it very much, my older son who is tall was comfortable in it. Both sides recline, individually, and they both have a canopy on top, individually. There is no basket, but, that was o.k., I carried mostly everything we needed in backpack, that I easily slipped on and off the back. We still use it at home, it was a great investment.

Leah

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter