Stroller 5 year old?

On our last trip a year ago, my daughter was almost 7, and she fell asleep in the stroller when we were there late at night. We had the stroller there for the baby, who ended up being carried in a carrier. But I'm soooo glad we had that stroller because lugging around a 7 year old while everyone else was still riding rides would have been rough.

My daughter is 6 1/2 and she outgrew strollers by the time she was 2. I used a lightweight Maclaren Volo umbrella stroller for her two years ago when we went to Disney and she fell asleep in it without fail by mid-afternoon every day (she had dropped naps by the time she turned three). I will be bringing the same Volo stroller this year when we go in April because she fits within the weight and height requirements. No I don’t foresee her using it a ton more so than for her to catch a break for her feet when she is tired.

My daughter was 5 years 3 months old last June. We went with the mentality we would rent one there if needed, but were going to see what happened. I had a 6.5 year old too, and I really didn't want to push 90lbs+ of kids in a double- I knew he'd be fine, but want in if sis had one. We planned our days to minimize walking as best we could. So- 9 day trip, 7 park days. Fitbit said 71 miles. No-one complained one single time about walking. I have very typical kids, not star athletes or anything. It was a total non issue and not worth all the worry it gave me beforehand!

We found that we only really needed a stroller at that age at night. After walking around all day, my little one really needed a break.

We found a stroller was needed for Epcot & Animal Kingdom but not for MK (rides are close together) or for HS since it's so much smaller.

I like to think of it as a stroller/shopping cart/bed. It was great to be able to carry the kids in, but it also served as a place for them to take a quick nap, somewhere to put snacks, hats, small bags, etc... that didn't fit in a backpack. And maybe I am a little too trusting, but I felt comfortable parking it at a central location and then leaving it there while we rode several rides in that area. So we didn't have to lug it around with us everywhere. Just when we moved to a different area of the park. I didn't leave anything in it that I couldn't have lived without!

We're getting a double stroller for Disney - for our 2.5 year old and our 6 year old. My son hates walking long distances (definitely takes after his dad and not me!) and we're doing it to make the trip more bearable. Hopefully next time he'll do better!

Once DD turned five we stopped bringing one with us. If we had a long day or would be there at night we would rent one at the park as a special treat. If it were up to her she would always have one - so it also served as an incentive for good behavior! She was six the last time we used one and I think it was probably the last time. She is simply outgrowing them.

I can't imagine not having one at Disney! We have used a double umbrella in the past but our last trip took our double bob because it was easier to push and the kids slept better in it. Plus we have a third child now so our oldest who was 6 last time would sit on the front corner if he was tired or I would have the baby in the carrier and he would ride. He loves to walk, but if he needs to snooze or eat a snack, or if we are in a hurry, it's so much easier to have them in a stroller so we can move quick to get to the next place. We go in a few weeks and he's 7 now and I can't imagine him walking the entire trip. I didn't even realize this was a thing people criticized until recently. If they are able to walk, then you could rent at the park so you don't have the hassle of the stroller on transportation to the park and getting in and all that, but just grab one when you need it. On our last trip, I took just one of the kids because the others weren't feeling well and we rented a stroller, she had just turned 5 and that worked SO well! It was so great not having one to carry on the bus and all that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter