Strategy with Pin collecting?

superdeluxe

Mouseketeer
new to Disney family (first trip coming in march)

Figure I ask the experts. Any tips/tricks for Pin collecting? I've read that you want to get inexpensive ones to start? How do you get pins from cast members without making it look like your stalking them? Are there certain times of the day where there might be better/more pins floating around? Locations?

To get your first pins, there are some “starter sets” that come with a lanyard that are available in the stores. You can also get random mystery pin bags (with 2 pins) for cheaper than the other mystery boxes. I know many people discourage this, but I would consider getting one of those pin lots from eBay. It is good for kids or people who are just doing it for fun. They may not be the best selection, but the point is to trade them away, so it doesnt matter.

At the parks, it seems there are fewer CMs with lanyards. But anyone who does have one is wearing one with the purpose of pin trading, so they are used to people coming up to check them out. And they also don’t mind if you walk away without any.

I find my favorite places are the stores who have pin trading boards. More selection. Especially the specific pin trading stores: Main Street pin traders, little green men, Frontierland, various places in DCA. They’ve also started doing special games in DCA along Buena Vista Street where you spin a wheel and pick a random box, which can be fun.

Actual selection doesn’t matter for time of day or location. Just if something good happens to be on the board or not. Sometimes they get new Hidden Mickey releases and those may be on the boards, but it’s rare. But if you are just about trading for pins you like and fun, it should be fine.

When my son started, I got a booster pack on eBay, like this one:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Cats-...223383?hash=item41d8908217:g:RFYAAOSwRQxaWBhL
I personally wouldn’t recommend the eBay lots of 25, 50, 100, etc, pins because they are scrappers, or pretty much counterfeit.

We had good luck going to the Disney on-site hotels and trading with cast members. Just look for boards with pins on display or cast members wearing pin lanyards. Then just ask politely if you could look at their pins. If you see one you like, ask if you could trade for it. We’ve never had them say no.

Pin trading can be a lot of fun, but it can also be very addictive and expensive! I love to trade pins and it's a major part of my trips to Disney, but I only trade with Cast Members.

How to Trade: Essentially, you purchase some pins (there are many options for where, how, etc.) and then take them with you. You'll see CMs that are wearing lanyards (either neck or hip) of varying colors (e.g., black, maroon, green/teal). The green/teal lanyards are for trading with children only. When you see a CM with a lanyard, you just go up to them and ask if you may look at their pins. If you see one you like, you offer to trade one of your pins for that pin. Aside from a few limitations, the CMs cannot refuse a trade.

The CMs can only refuse to trade if the pin you are offering is already on their lanyard (i.e., a duplicate), if the pin is not in good condition (i.e., scratched image, broken, etc.), not a Disney pin (no Disney copyright on the back), or not a pin (i.e., buttons cannot be traded). For the CMs, they only have to trade the pins on their lanyards, so any service pins that they might be wearing on their costume or nametags are not for trading.

Disney has published some guidelines:
http://disney.go.com/eventservices/howtopintrade.pdf

In addition to the neck or hip lanyards that CMs may be wearing, you may also find pin boards, books, or other objects (e.g., I've seen a life preserver at OKW and a wheel at Westward Ho in DL ). Those can have lots pins to look at. The trading rules are the same, as with the CM lanyards. Some boards/books/objects are out at all times, but others may only come out at certain times.

In terms of the CMs that wear lanyards, look in the shops, at the ride entrances, janitorial, management, and (sometimes) security. The ride operators and loaders tend not to have lanyards. There are CMs wearing lanyards at all times of the day, but it does seem like you'll often find the "best" selection at park opening or on management CM lanyards. So if you see a "suit" wearing a lanyard, they might have some pretty nice/good pins!

Costs: Pin trading can be very expensive, especially if you buy pins after you get to Disney. Disney sells individual pins (don't buy these for trading; they're very expensive) and starter/booster sets. Starter/Booster sets are usually sets of 7 or so pins for about $30. If you run out of pins or decide to start trading after you've arrived, booster/starter sets are your best bet. Other sources include the Disney Stores, Disney Outlets, and the DisneyStore.com. I would keep an eye on the DisneyStore.com's clearance section for good deals. You can also buy pins on eBay or non-Disney sites, but be careful. Those can often be scrappers/ counterfeits /fakes, especially if they're super cheap (e.g., less than a few dollars per pin).

Caveats: there are a few other things worth noting about trading. The first are the "professional" traders and the second are "scrappers".

Professional Traders: My advice is to be wary of the professional pin traders. These are the non-CM traders that are sometimes found outside of the store in Tomorrowland, Frontierland, and over in DTD (they might be elsewhere, but that's where I've seen them). These folks do not have to trade with you nor do they have to adhere to the Disney trading guidelines (e.g., one pin for one pin). I'm sure some of them are nice folks, but I would be cautious when approaching them for a trade because for many of them this is a business so they're out to get the most valuable/expensive pins possible from you. So if they will trade your pin for their pins, that's probably fine. If they ask you go buy a pin or pins for them, I'd walk away. If you're new to pin trading and do not have a sense of the value (in terms of dollars) of the various pins, I'd avoid the professional traders.

Scrappers, Counterfeits, and Fakes: The second issue is scrappers, counterfeits, and fakes. For some folks this matters, for others it does not. You'll need to decide which camp you are in before you get heavily into pin trading. To the average pin trader, I don't think the difference between a scraper, fake, or counterfeit really matters (because none of these are legitimate pins), but there are slight differences.
  • A scrapper is a pin that looks legitimate, but is not. It can be a factory overrun (i.e., the factory was contracted to make 1 million, but they made 1.1 million instead) or a pin that has some kind of error that should have been "scrapped".
  • A counterfeit pin is a copy of legitimate pin made by someone that was not authorized by Disney.
  • A fake is a pin design that was never authorized by Disney.
Unfortunately, it's not always easy to tell what pin designs are fake unless you know a lot about pins and what designs have been released. These pins can often look like legitimate designs and may contain all of the markings (e.g., copy right) to look legitimate, but they are not. Luckily, I tend to think that outright fakes are the least common type of non-legitimate pins out there.

In terms of the scrapers/counterfeits, those are harder to distinguish the legitimate from non-legitimate. You'll often be able to tell a scrapper/counterfeit because the colors are weird/off, elements are missing or incorrect, or the back stamp (the copy right) is wrong/missing/damaged. Others say you can tell because they feel "rough" or the edges are sharp/pronounced. Sadly, there is no sure fire way to tell a scrapper/counterfeit. My guess is that it's easier to identify the counterfeits and the scrappers that should have been "scrapped". The factory over-runs probably look exactly like the ones shipped to Disney, so those are nearly impossible to distinguish once they’re in circulation.

It's worth noting that if you do end up trading with CM, the CM lanyards tend to be filled with scrappers, counterfeits, and (to a less extent) fakes. So if you really dislike scrappers/counterfeit, I would avoid trading with CMs. That's the crux of the argument: those that dislike scrappers/counterfeits feel they cheapen the trading and make it not worthwhile. Those that don't care, tend to say that they like the pin, so it doesn't really matter if it's a scrapper/counterfeit or not (they also say that if you can't tell, does it really matter?). Both points are valid.

eBay: eBay is a popular source for pins, but it can be a tough place to buy legitimate (i.e., non-scrapper/counterfeits/fake) pins. The general rule of thumb is that you buy a "lot" or "grab bag" of pins (e.g., 25-pins) and the price per pin is less than a couple of dollars each, you're likely buying scrappers. Also, if you buy pins that come in little baggies (instead of pin cards like the ones you see at the stores in WDW/DLR), those are more likely to be scrappers as well. My recommendation is to look for sellers that are selling pins still on their backing and/or unopened booster sets (also still on their cardboard backing wrapped in plastic). In truth, unless you only buy from Disney directly, it is hard to say whether you'll get scrappers/counterfeits/fakes or not.

There are lots of sellers on Facebook that sell real Disney pins for $1.50-2 plus shipping.

But my tip is this, don't start!

I tend to be more of a collector than a trader. I like to buy a pin or two that reminds me of a particular ride or experience each trip. But I do keep some to trade. I wanted to add that we have had some really good experiences trading with other guests. I’m a noob and don’t generally approach anyone but near some of the trading posts I’ve met some really nice folks. One lady gave my daughter a Minnie Mouse pin just because, and another young child I traded with was super knowledgeable about the parks and fun to talk to. We don’t spend too much time trading each trip, but I definitely enjoy the experience.

My kids got me started reluctantly pin trading. I would say that between waltonmkb and figment, they’ve covered pretty much everything.

I have had some really great experiences and conversations that started because I was wearing my pin lanyard or trading, and so while I acknowledge that it can get expensive, it has definitely added some pixie dust to my Disneyland experiences!

I'm into this, but not for trading - just collecting. At first I spent too much money on it. Now, it's relatively under control :-) Here are a couple of suggestions:

a. Set a strategy to your pins. I like the idea that chickapin parterre shared "I collect villains only". Do something like that - then 'hunting' becomes a part of the experience.
b. Avoid the professionals. Those that I have dealt with only trade the crap pins away.
c. If you want to trade, buy a 25 on eBay and trade those. ... Fun fact, I buy a bag on eBay before each trip so my kids can trade in the shops and with cast members. But understand this, the pins that are available to trade are never the good ones for sale.
d. If you wear them on a lanyard, invest in the locking posts rather than just the rubber Mickey back...

My whole family wears lanyards and pins every time we are there (we visit once a year). I tell them I will buy each of them two pins each trip - one of their choosing and another that represents the year. This has been a ton of fun for me and my kids. Personally, I have purchased a lot of pins - but I don't buy anything else Disney, so I'm not too sad about the money I've spent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter