Straight to Video Sequels

Bill007

Mouseketeer
Does anyone besides me refuse to accept the straight-to-video sequels as continuations of the original films? Most I've seen are awful to the point where I roll my eyes and refuse to watch them anymore, a couple are pretty good (I really liked Bambi 2, surprisingly). Just curious as to what other opinions might be.

For the most part yes. The three exceptions for me was Return to Neverland where the story line focuses on Wendy's daughter and the WWII era as opposed to the Victorian age. Scamp follow up to Lady and the Tramp. I liked the fact that where Scamp see dad as an old fuddy-duddy, he finds out that Tramp had the life style he admires and was top dog before he became a family "man". I also liked Lion King 1 1/2 that focused on Timon and Pummba before meeting Simba.

Completely agreed, I don't accept most of the straight-to-DVD stuff as an extension of the original film's canon. Thankfully, we don't see many of them being made anymore since Disneytoon Studios went defunct last year.

For the most part yes. The three exceptions for me was Return to Neverland where the story line focuses on Wendy's daughter and the WWII era as opposed to the Victorian age. Scamp follow up to Lady and the Tramp. I liked the fact that where Scamp see dad as an old fuddy-duddy, he finds out that Tramp had the life style he admires and was top dog before he became a family "man". I also liked Lion King 1 1/2 that focused on Timon and Pummba before meeting Simba.
Ah yes. I had forgotten about Lion King 1 1/2. That was hilarious. Neverland was okay but not top of my list. Never saw Scamp but I suppose I should be open-minded and give it a try. Heck, I did with Bambi 2 and really liked it. Maybe I've just been seeing the wrong ones!

We've talked about this before, and some are good and some are bad. Honestly though, I don't think they are as bad as their reputation would indicate. The few I have seen were at least okay and had something to like about them. They're definitely on par with TV animation, though DisneyToon could do great things when they had a theatrical budget. It was Lasseter who re-tasked them to original work like the Tinkerbell movies and Planes, which I felt was a good use of their time. Still, I can appreciate some of the sequels. I have blu-rays of Mulan & Pocahontas that also have the sequels, and they aren't too bad. I have the Hunchback disc like that too, and that sequel is pretty strange, though it's less than an hour long. A lot of them were meant to be TV series, but never took off, so they would edit what they had into a mini-movie. I wouldn't want to pay full price for them, but they work well as bonus features.

Return to Neverland was good. I actually used it as a reference last week for my kids to understand what a backyard bomb shelter was while yours the Imperial War Museum in London.

Lion King 1 1/2 we recently unwrapped and watched for the first time. Only had it got over a decade 🙄. It wasn’t too bad.

Cinderella 3 (I think) was ok. Not as good as the original but decent in terms of focusing on one of the step sisters.

Beauty and the Beast Enchanted Christmas is one of my favorites!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!