Story Book Forest?

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
When I was very young, my grandparents used to take me to a place in western Pennsylvania called Story Book Forest. As the name implies, it was a walk-through forest depicting various storybook characters, dwellings and scenes. Has anyone else ever been there? I gather that this type of kiddie amusement park is put up in various parts of the country.

As an aside, I was watching a YouTube video of the forest this morning. On their "Good Ship Lollypop" display, the Disney "Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me" was playing. I wonder what the WDC would say.

Cheers,

Rob

Never been there, but I have great memories of visiting Santa's Village with my grandparents in Skyforest, CA. Man, I wish that was still there so I could take my girls. :sad1:

Haven't been there but it reminds me of Fairyland in Oakland. You got these large plastic keys and when you put them in the box in front of a storybook scene, it talked to you.

There is another similar one just outside of Salem, OR called Enchanted Forest. I vaguely remember stopping there years and years ago as a child on a family vacation.

There is another similar one just outside of Salem, OR called Enchanted Forest. I vaguely remember stopping there years and years ago as a child on a family vacation.

That must be the one I rememeber seeing brochures for when we used to travel up to spokane to visit grandparents. I thought it looked like a fun place to stop but we never went there. :sad1:

That must be the one I rememeber seeing brochures for when we used to travel up to spokane to visit grandparents. I thought it looked like a fun place to stop but we never went there. :sad1:

I remember the one time that we did stop, it was raining and there really wasn't much to do. But I was just looking the place up to see if it was still open, and it is! Apparently they have their own animatronics now, as well as a long-flume ride and bobsled roller coaster. Hmm...... sound familiar? :laughing:

I remember the one time that we did stop, it was raining and there really wasn't much to do. But I was just looking the place up to see if it was still open, and it is! Apparently they have their own animatronics now, as well as a long-flume ride and bobsled roller coaster. Hmm...... sound familiar? :laughing:

So I guess I didn't miss much? :rotfl:

By the way, when we would drive up to spokane we would always stop and eat lunch in the Mt Shasta area on the first day. So Mt Shasta always reminds me of that. :goodvibes

So I guess I didn't miss much? :rotfl:

By the way, when we would drive up to spokane we would always stop and eat lunch in the Mt Shasta area on the first day. So Mt Shasta always reminds me of that. :goodvibes

That is so cool! :thumbsup2 Do you remember where you would stop? Not much has changed around here!

That is so cool! :thumbsup2 Do you remember where you would stop? Not much has changed around here!

We would just stop at a rest stop and eat deli sandwiches that we brought with us. It was a nice place to get out and eat and explore before getting back in the car and heading up to oregon.

We would just stop at a rest stop and eat deli sandwiches that we brought with us. It was a nice place to get out and eat and explore before getting back in the car and heading up to oregon.

Very cool. :thumbsup2 I love that people actually know where Mount Shasta is! :goodvibes

And to the OP- sorry for hijacking! :worship:

When I was very young, my grandparents used to take me to a place in western Pennsylvania called Story Book Forest. As the name implies, it was a walk-through forest depicting various storybook characters, dwellings and scenes. Has anyone else ever been there? I gather that this type of kiddie amusement park is put up in various parts of the country.

As an aside, I was watching a YouTube video of the forest this morning. On their "Good Ship Lollypop" display, the Disney "Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me" was playing. I wonder what the WDC would say.

Cheers,

Rob

YES! It's Idlewild Park, and we went there SEVERAL times a year (I grew up in Western PA). I loved it, but haven't been back since I moved away from PA in 2000! I even have the quintessential pictures of me when I was little going through the keyhole :)

Yes, I think there are many places across the country with their own version of this type of place. Here in Sacramento we have Fairytale Town. They too used to have the talking boxes activated by plastic keys. You had to buy the keys in the gift shop. :) I have very fond childhood memories of that place. I haven't been in many years...but I'd like to visit again to see what's changed.

I've been to The Enchanted Forest in Oregon. It was, hmm...interesting, LOL. This was about ten years ago, and I loved the forest setting, but the fairytale exhibits looked like they'd seen better days. I didn't ride any of the rides, but just looking at the "Ice Mountain Bobsleds" made me laugh. The whole top part of the ride vehicle is encased in plexiglass. Look it up on youtube sometime. :laughing:

I'm sure things have improved since I was there, I guess they've added some new things. I looked at their website and apparently they have a dark ride now with a TRACKLESS riding system and infrared laser guns ala Buzz Lightyear. Umm, all I can say is WOW! That's pretty good for a local little theme park.

I'd actually like to go again sometime if I was ever in the area. It's cute, for what it is. Poor man's Disneyland. :rotfl:

Haven't been there but it reminds me of Fairyland in Oakland. You got these large plastic keys and when you put them in the box in front of a storybook scene, it talked to you.

Was that by a lake? I remember going to a place with fairy tail buildings about 25 years ago. I distinctly recall feeding ducks.

I don't remember. I was only there once.

I just googled fairyland oakland and it is still there! Called Children's Fairyland. The google map shows a body of water near by, so yes maybe that was it. It said they are about 60 years old!

Here is the Disney tie in according to its website:

"It wasn’t long before Fairyland inspired imitators. Storybook parks sprang up around the country, but few lasted long—with one notable exception. Not long after we opened, a fellow named Walt Disney visited Children’s Fairyland. He liked it so much that he incorporated some of our innovations into his “magic kingdom,” which opened in Anaheim in 1955. He also hired Fairyland’s first executive director, Dorothy Manes, and one of our part-time puppeteers, Bob Mills."
http://www.fairyland.org/about_fairyland/fairyland_history.htm

This makes me wonder if this was one of the places that he talked about where you take your children but pretty much just watch them. Walt said he wanted to make a place that parents could play with their kids.

Anyway, that was interesting. Glad I looked it up. :goodvibes

I don't remember. I was only there once.

I just googled fairyland oakland and it is still there! Called Children's Fairyland. The google map shows a body of water near by, so yes maybe that was it. It said they are about 60 years old!

Here is the Disney tie in according to its website:

"It wasn’t long before Fairyland inspired imitators. Storybook parks sprang up around the country, but few lasted long—with one notable exception. Not long after we opened, a fellow named Walt Disney visited Children’s Fairyland. He liked it so much that he incorporated some of our innovations into his “magic kingdom,” which opened in Anaheim in 1955. He also hired Fairyland’s first executive director, Dorothy Manes, and one of our part-time puppeteers, Bob Mills."
http://www.fairyland.org/about_fairyland/fairyland_history.htm

This makes me wonder if this was one of the places that he talked about where you take your children but pretty much just watch them. Walt said he wanted to make a place that parents could play with their kids.

Anyway, that was interesting. Glad I looked it up. :goodvibes

ROFL, yeah that's funny. If that is the case, I guess what they wrote looks more flattering than, "Walt was so disappointed that Fairyland had such a lack of activities for the whole family to enjoy, that it inspired him to create something better!" :laughing:

:upsidedow

ROFL, yeah that's funny. If that is the case, I guess what they wrote looks more flattering than, "Walt was so disappointed that Fairyland had such a lack of activities for the whole family to enjoy, that it inspired him to create something better!" :laughing:

:upsidedow

Yep, it's all in how you look at it! ;)

I live in Pittsburgh and Story Book Forest is alive and well. You can still meet Miss Muffett, The Three Billy Goats Gruff, and the old woman in the shoe. It is a fun place. That said it is no Disneyworld. Storybook Forest is now part of Idlewilde park. It is a small amusement park that is great for young children and has Mr. Rodger's Trolley ride to see King Friday and all the gang. I have a two year old and a six year old and they loved trying to pull out the sword in the stone and boarding the good ship lollipop for a lollipop. If you are ever in Pittsburgh with children it is very fun and worth the price of admission.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter