stolen luggage?

hkkatie

Mouseketeer
We are planning to take the Disneyland Express Resort shuttle bus between LAX and our hotel. I think we took this same shuttle several years ago with no problems, but I'm just curious, has anyone's luggage ever gone missing from the bus? We are one of the later stops, so I worry about people getting off earlier grabbing an extra bag. Because there is nobody regulating the baggage. Am I too paranoid or do I have a right to worry? Anything I can do to safeguard our luggage? (I will keep all valuables with us onboard the coach.) Thanks.

I've never had a problem with SuperShuttle though that's a van and not a bus, and I really haven't heard of anyone having their baggage stolen from the bus in all the time I've been on this board. The Disneyland Express is full of people coming from the airport to a hotel, so it's a lot of work for a thief to take a bus ride across the city in order to snag random luggage.

Probably the only time a bag goes missing is when the wrong generic-looking bag is grabbed and no one notices the mistake until too late. Prevent these mistakes by traveling with colorful luggage or bold/obvious markings and tags.

Outright theft is rare in that scenario. Travel with unique or distinct luggage and you will have less of a problem. I am a weekly flyer and see people grab the wrong luggage all the time by mistake. If you use a black suitcase you are just asking for problems in my experience.

Have a friend that wraps his luggage in a flourescent green duct tape. While a bit extreme, no one else is gonna grab that one by mistake!

Because there is nobody regulating the baggage.

It’s been awhile since I used Express, but doesn’t the driver pull bags off? So there’s a face to face component there. And why would someone heading to Disney purposely take someone else’s bag?

This isn’t something I’d worry about.

Outright theft is rare in that scenario. Travel with unique or distinct luggage and you will have less of a problem. I am a weekly flyer and see people grab the wrong luggage all the time by mistake. If you use a black suitcase you are just asking for problems in my experience.

Have a friend that wraps his luggage in a flourescent green duct tape. While a bit extreme, no one else is gonna grab that one by mistake!

I agree. Instead of duct tape I tie ribbon to my suitcases. I've got Red & black polka dot and Yellow and black polka dot.

Agree with previous posters. Make your bags distinguishable in some way, and don't worry too much.

I'm with the others; "stolen bags" isn't an issue. Mistakes happen. People in a hurry and distracted can accidentally pick up the wrong luggage - my goodness, you could do it.

We do what most here have suggested - add something to each bag to make them stand out. Someone looking for their luggage will bypass yours that way.

Use Lansky, it might cost a little more than the bus, but it is point to point and they provide car seats. We have used them twice and have not been disappointed. We needed 3 car seats the first time and 4 the second and they didn't have a problem at all.

Use Lansky, it might cost a little more than the bus, but it is point to point and they provide car seats. We have used them twice and have not been disappointed. We needed 3 car seats the first time and 4 the second and they didn't have a problem at all.
Totally agree! They are great, and if there are more than 3 of you, the cost is not much more for the convenience and comfort -- you go directly to your hotel and car seats are supplied. Plus they'll do a grocery stop for you. We're flying in at 11 pm and I decided to go with them even though a shuttle would cost less because they are waiting right there for you at the luggage carousel. I know I will want to get directly to the hotel at that time of night.

I've had it *almost* happen on Disneyland Resort Express.... Like hopped out of the bus at the airport when the attendant unloaded my bag at the wrong stop. But it was an honest mistake--plain black suitcase without anything distinguishable except for my teal "not your bag" luggage tag that was flipped behind the suitcase.

Now, I have a travel backpack, with an obvious Mickey luggage tag, and no one reaches for it. Hubs has a travel duffle, and, again, its not reached for as often, since its not as common looking.

We are planning to take the Disneyland Express Resort shuttle bus between LAX and our hotel. I think we took this same shuttle several years ago with no problems, but I'm just curious, has anyone's luggage ever gone missing from the bus? We are one of the later stops, so I worry about people getting off earlier grabbing an extra bag. Because there is nobody regulating the baggage. Am I too paranoid or do I have a right to worry? Anything I can do to safeguard our luggage? (I will keep all valuables with us onboard the coach.) Thanks.
As others have mentioned, add something noticeable to your luggage.

When I go to DLR, I can be taking anywhere from two to five grandkids with me.
Keeping track of all the carry-on bags and backpacks for the group is easy with an identifying item.

I use one brightly colored yarn and wrap it around a handle on every carry-on and backpack that's going.
It helps me see everything at a glance. With the yarn being on the handle, anyone can see it as they would be grabbing the bag.

Another thing I do is to place an index card with contact information in each carry-on and backpack.
On the card I write my name, cell phone number, travel dates and detailed info of where we will be staying.
If something happens then it will be easy to contact us.

My Nikon camera has similar info to the index card as the first frame.
upload_2018-7-18_13-27-47.png

Geemo

It almost happened to me, as well. I was the last stop still waiting on the bus when I heard the family outside say "that's not our bag." I guess if someone REALLY wanted to take a bag, it could happen, but they would probably have better luck hanging out at airport carousels.

This. Very easy with littles, and I thought the price was very fair.

Mistakes happen but actual stealing of luggage would be an oddball occurrence. Just do something to make your bags stand out to you and you can sit on the passenger side of the bus and watch as bags are unloaded at the other stops if you are truly concerned.

Tickets are already paid for, so changing to Lansky or another service isn't going to happen. I will definitely keep them in mind for next time, though. Thanks for the input about putting an identifier on our bags. I think they all have ribbons on them already, but I will take a look to make sure, and also put our contact info inside each bag. Thanks a lot for replying!

Thanks for this rec! I was going to use the Express, but this is way better for my kids and I. Flat rate, flight specific service, grocery stop.... seems like a no brainer.

Add something distinctive to the outside of ur luggage. Put ur name/phone number on the outside ( and that can be in a covered luggage tag) and make sure the Same ID is Inside ur bag. We also use TSA luggage locks, with combos, not keys.
Safe travels

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!