Stocking Stuffers

Stocking stuffers are items that actually go IN the stocking.

I've bought items for the kids' stockings which were originally supposed to go IN the stockings, but, once I started actually stuffing the stockings, I discovered that maybe something was too big or that I had too much & it wouldn't all fit IN the stocking.

So, then, whatever the item(s) was/where just became part of the rest of the Santa "spread."

(Our kids get wrapped gifts under the tree from DH & me, & then their Santa gifts are left unwrapped & set up in a "display" for them to discover on Christmas morning. So, anything that didn't fit in the stocking as I had originally planned just became part of the other gifts from Santa.)

No. The presents under the tree were from my parents, my daughter, and my siblings. Stocking presents were always from Santa.

eta- we don’t do stockings any more. My parents said they had to stop because they were spending too much time and money on our stockings (I’m the oldest of four). Also, it wasn’t that extravagant when we were younger. We’d get puzzles and games and other stuff I can’t remember lol

For us stocking stuffers were what went in the stockings, filled by Santa. Santa also brought gifts that went under the tree with the rest, but they were wrapped with different papers and the tags had different handwriting. It was funny to find out when ours were grown that they were convinced that dad had written out Santa's tags because "it didn't look like mom's writing at all". Nope, mom simply committed to the idea hard.

Having raised two I don't even want to think how expensive four would be. Ironically I'd bet nothing ever topped the excitement you all felt in whatever the simple stuff Santa brought when you were young. Wouldn't it be fun to be five again on Christmas morning?

My kids range from 15-20 and they love their stockings even though I put in pretty much the same things every year.
They get some candy and/or snacks they like. Body wash, deodorant, earbuds, charging cable, and for the ones with cars, something for it like an air freshener. Something a little kooky too, like bacon band-aids. This year I'm sticking in those tile bluetooth trackers for their keys.

Dh gets dark chocolate and beef jerky every year. This year I found some Tabasco jelly bellies to throw in there too.

For my DD 16- Tarte makeup brushes, beauty blender blind bag (why are blind bags so popular?), new popsocket, UD makeup, gum

For DS 11- Boba Fett portable charger, R2-D2 charging brick, micro Star Wars LEGO (Milenium Falcon set), and Star Wars candies.

Santa brings stockings and even wraps some items in them and one big gift per child (adults get neither but we are ok with that). Wrapping was started when they were young to slow them down and it stuck. We do stockings followed by opening their Santa gift and then into the kitchen to make breakfast together before we tackle all the other presents. It draws out the excitement and makes sure they have time to appreciate what they have been given before moving on to what everyone else sent them.

Oranges go in the toes!

My family did this growing up and I did it for my kids until the year my DD had an ulcer. She was having major GI issues and everything that year from Halloween to Christmas had to be adjusted (in fact that Thanksgiving she was only allowed to eat broth and jello). I honestly missed having oranges at Christmas breakfast so my mom always makes sure to bring one just for me.

A new razor
Toothbrush
Lotion
Favorite snacks/candy
Chapstick
Money

When the kids were younger it was
Crayons
Coloring Books
Movies
Favorite snacks/candy

No..........Stockings are for Christmas DAY - they are filled by Santa overnight and are the first thing opened on Christmas Morning while you wait for everyone else to get up
Sorry... but that's just the way it always has been for OUR family.

Santa always comingled his gifts with the gifts my parents bought us. That way my parents didn't have to compete with Santa's gifts. He even used the same paper to wrap as my parents.

We started that with our kids, too. The one year, before everyone had laptops, we got a family gift of a new PC. My DS said, "wow, we're so lucky that Santa bought us a PC so you and Dad didn't have to pay for one!"

Each year my Mom would put Big Red gum into my stocking. I haven't chewed gum in years, but I would get Big Red each year, while I still lived at home. I never had the heart to tell her that I no longer chew gum. The whole gum chewing thing just skeeves me now.

My family gets socks, razors, toothbrushes, hand sanitizer, toblerones, ferrar rochere, homemade candy from a friend of mine and lottery tickets, as a general rule.

I am not picking on any one person but I always found it weird to put everyday shopping items in a stocking. I get that you want cheap stuff to fill it with but toothpaste? Deodorant? Why not just buy them that stuff the next time you’re at the store?

Maybe it’s so weird to me because I’m used to getting things in my stocking like a humidifier and the biggest thing..a bakers rack.

I wasn’t able to do things like that for my daughter but I did do things like board games and crafty things.
When I put stuff like soap in it fancy bath & body works or body shop stuff, not the grocery store stuff. I always got new socks and undies as a kid, same with DH. Now DD also gets socks and undies too. Santa has never filled my stocking or DD's as my mum wrote a letter to Santa when I was a baby the she enjoyed finding things to fill it and to give the gifts he would have put in my stocking to someone who wouldn't get as much. She and now I then buy extras and give them to a local charity like the angel trees.

When I put stuff like soap in it fancy bath & body works or body shop stuff, not the grocery store stuff. I always got new socks and undies as a kid, same with DH. Now DD also gets socks and undies too. Santa has never filled my stocking or DD's as my mum wrote a letter to Santa when I was a baby the she enjoyed finding things to fill it and to give the gifts he would have put in my stocking to someone who wouldn't get as much. She and now I then buy extras and give them to a local charity like the angel trees.

Ok, that makes a little more sense to me. It would be nice to get fancy soaps and shampoos, not the usual stuff.

For my husband:
aloe
magnets for our DCL door
collapsible reusable straw
Tums
alcohol minis
fun food items (bacon jam and bbq peanuts) in small containers
hand sanitizer
camera strap/float
travel size toiletries
Tide pen
chapstick

For my dad:
Christmas ornaments (he's rebuilding his collection after a decade of reconstructing his house)
alcohol minis
travel sized toiletries
small kitchen things (mini spatula, bar spoon, etc)
one of those candy cane shaped containers filled with candy. It's a tradition at his house

My sister takes care of our mom's stocking, so I don't know exactly what's in it but usually it includes:
purse tissue packs
pens
make up
Dunkins gift card
hand cream

Ours are similar to everyone else here:
Body wash/Deodorant/Lotion/Toothbrushes (the fancy stuff, lol)
Small games
Pricey or Unique chocolate or candy
Gift Cards
Ear Buds
Car or phone accessories/supplies
Craft or hobby supplies

Things I'm stealing to use this year:
Alcohol minis (I just saw some moonshine ones at the liquor store last week, Dh will love that since he likes to try new flavors)
Scratch Offs (I never thought of that and we have young adults now, so that's a good idea)

Most of the stocking stuffers I buy come from the Dollar Store, but everyone contributes to everyone else's stocking, so with 6 of us buying fillers, none of us has to be too creative. I buy scratch-off lottery tickets, hair scrunchies for DDs and DGD, batteries for DH and DGS-in-law, and a big hit last year, sunglasses (for those who don't need prescriptions)

It has become really hard to fill a stocking for my dad (82). So last week at WDW we had a brilliant idea. He loves any kind of candy so we circled the globe (aka Epcot), and bought candy in each country except US. It was a bit more expensive than his usual stocking, but saved me so much time and effort. Plus it's unique and he'll actually use it. It was a fun activity for 2 adults as well. I also picked up a few things for DS20. I wouldn't make a habit of this every year, but I am now thinking themed stockings could become a thing for us...

Maria :upsidedow

There are no "go-to" stocking stuffers, but there are things which have to be included every year for tradition's sake. DH always gets shortbread cookies, quality chocolates, a summer sausage, and a beer. DD always gets foil covered chocolate coins. I always end up with Pez (since I have a collection) and a mini bottle of sparkling wine. Otherwise, stocking stuffers are meant to be varied and special, and it's a subtle competition to see who can find the weirdest/most appropriate/most inapproriate/most meaningful/how did you know I needed this?/free with purchase! items to include.

My best friend does a different thing for stocking stuffers for her adult kids that I may do this year.

She does stockings for her grandkids and fills with all the regular stuff: candy, little toys, mini puzzles, etc.

All three of her kids are married and each couple gets a basket instead of a stocking. And she puts in socks, lip balm, phone chargers, etc but she also goes to little specialty shops in the area and buys jars of local honey, jellies and candy made by the local stores, some really good pecans or walnuts or whatever their favorite is. She spends about what she would on stockings but it’s mostly stuff to share and that they will really enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter